jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the FIRST THING that comes to mind at the mention of the word.......SUPE

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

What is the FIRST THING that comes to mind at the mention of the word.......SUPERSTITION?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12145049_f260.jpg

2. Kiss andTales profile image79
    Kiss andTalesposted 3 years ago

Superstition that people allow beliefs of old stories to rule their every  move , a base decisions according to these stories,  my mom was raised in the south, she had many she believed in, some was based dying , if you sweep some one's feet you sweep them out of your family, if you let a women come in your house first  on the first day of the year you will have bad luck, if you break mirrors  bad luck, so many stories people enslave them-self  to live and believe. , now they are doing this in a newer version by chain letters. Anybody can make up a story and pass it around  , really there are much more important things happening in this world that are true and real  we do not need made up stories to decide who lives and dies. Sad a waste of time.

3. lone77star profile image82
    lone77starposted 3 years ago

Stories about relationships that are based on accidental coincidence.

A black cat runs under a ladder and you have some bad luck. Perhaps you never notice the times something like that happened and good luck came your way.

The second thing that comes to mind when I hear the world superstition is the irrational reactions of supposedly well-meaning, otherwise rational people have when talking about religion, spirituality, miracles and the like.

Religion is spirituality corrupted by self-concern (ego). It's not all bad, but it has lost the spark of Truth from which it had been born.

Some people reject spirituality and tales of miracles without good reason. They claim it's superstition (accidental coincidence, instead of cause-and-effect coincidence).

Example: A man feels a rush of inspiration, finds a loving peace that makes them feel invulnerable and unconcerned about what others might do to their body, and asks for something impossible. The next instant, they are walking on water, or parting water, or something else equally incredible. There's nothing accidental about it, yet "reasoning" skeptics see only physical law and some "trick" they cannot yet explain. This is the worst kind of superstition -- the kind that thinks it is being reasonable, but is flushing all reason down the toilet in favor of the status quo -- the safe realm where miracles are "impossible."

4. chefmancave profile image85
    chefmancaveposted 3 years ago

For me it is sports. My lucky ball mark in Golf, my lucky shirt when watching football and of course Hockey. The "playoff beard", the "no touching of the President Trophy", the "goalie who wears 13 pairs of socks" and so on.

5. CrescentSkies profile image87
    CrescentSkiesposted 3 years ago

For me it's just one word, and one word only.

Ignorance.

working