Do you think humans will go extinct?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (111 posts)
  1. Lady Guinevere profile image66
    Lady Guinevereposted 9 years ago

Do you think humans will go extinct?

Will all life also go extinct?

2. dashingscorpio profile image82
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

We're essentially at the top of the "food chain".
    We have the ability to kill or destroy any living thing on the planet. The only way I could see human beings becoming extinct is if the planet itself was no longer able to sustain life.
    Even with that by then we may find another planet. Some people would argue that it wouldn't be the first time we've relocated. LOL!

Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer.  Yes, I know we have re-located before.

3. Healthyannie profile image85
    Healthyannieposted 9 years ago

No, I don't think so. I think that we will learn how to adapt to changing circumstances.

We have been adapting all along.

4. Michael-Milec profile image60
    Michael-Milecposted 9 years ago

Nerver ! Anyone has freedom to "think'" what he / she wants, man's thinking won't change the Creators predetermination.
    ..." and they ( all the redeemed, only those  whose names are recorded in the Lamb's book of Life) shall reign forever and ever - though the eternities of eternities."

It doesn't matter who you are.  We all live according to what we came here to learn...no matter what religious belif anyone has or doesn't have.

2. Michael-Milec profile image60
      Michael-Milecposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry if this sounds as  adisagreement ; It does  matter to me who "am I " because I have none of 'religious belief."

3. Lady Guinevere profile image66

No, I do not take it as disagreement.  I aksed this question to get a variety of answers.  I want to know what people think.

5. iskhoso profile image60
    iskhosoposted 9 years ago

Hi  Lady Guinevere,

Besides religious beliefs about human life in the world, the extinction of human is deem difficult to digest as no signs are there in the world except at large and one time may it happen but I think that would be time when the all the galaxies will reset and return to their origin and so this globe also and that will be the Day of Judgement.

Thanks but...the day of judgement is every day and it is the consequence of every action that one takes.  I do not think the planet will become extinct at all.

6. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

I think all earth life will eventually go extinct and, depending on what happens as the universe ages, it seems pretty likely all life may eventually die off.

But I think it's nothing more to worry about than your own death; it's an inevitable result of being born in the first place. Isn't it wonderful that we are here? I'm delighted to be here. Things don't need to last forever to be amazing. The only things that don't die are things that never live and they can't appreciate anything.

There's a profound savor found in the enjoyment of ephemeral things. Things that are permanent to our frame of reference are still and unchanging; movement and change are life. I believe flowers are at their most beautiful just before they start to obviously fade. Some would argue that since flowers die in mere days, there is no value in them but I would argue that there is value in sharing their beauty when it exists. I would argue that we tend to take things we think of as permanent a little bit for granted. 

Enjoyment of such ephemeral things as roses, kittens, parents, and life itself need be no less just because they end. For me, life is about making the journey and making the most of the experiences presented, no matter how quickly they pass away.

Even the greatest show on earth must end eventually. It won't matter because the audience will be gone anyway.

Thank you for your interesting comment.

7. daydreamer13 profile image61
    daydreamer13posted 9 years ago

Probably not. Humans have excellent instincts and an intense will to survive. I think in the right conditions, a lot of people would be very surprising.

I agree.  There is so much that we have done and are yet to do.  We adapt and have been for the longest time.  People just do not realize what we are doing.  We are survivors.

8. kj force profile image61
    kj forceposted 9 years ago

I don't believe Humans will ever go extinct..BUT..,do believe Humans as we know today will change and evolve to whatever they need to be to survive.
    The Human body chemistry is a perfect example, due to environment, toxic chemicals, processing/genetic altering of foods, exposure to various health issues from said elements...has changed our way of life.
    Just look at the physical and health changes man has undergone over the decades...from cave to condo...herbivore to carnivore...etc.
    Very interesting question...looking forward to others take on this...

Thank your for your answer.  Others have interesting answers as well.

9. Austinstar profile image83
    Austinstarposted 9 years ago

At least a dozen species go extinct EVERY day now. By the year 2050 (not too far off), experts estimate that 30 to 50% of the world's species will be extinct. (http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/prog … on_crisis/ )
    And the worse part is that we are doing this to ourselves! Whether or not you believe in climate change, it's still going to happen. The history of the Earth shows several mass extinction events caused by various reasons. All were natural events until mankind came along and became the 'dominant' species.
    But even the stars (including our own sun) die. So, it is a foregone conclusion that cannot be stopped - the Earth and everything on it will eventually die.
    Perhaps humans will be capable of immigrating to another planet, perhaps not. But we WILL eventually have to leave the Earth in one way or another.
    So, yes, I think humans will go extinct.

At the same time there are more new species being found today.  Many things are not known and I shall post a hub about it soon or maybe put it on my new site. We will continue to evolve and survive.

2. Austinstar profile image83
      Austinstarposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, we will evolve and survive... for a few more years :-)

3. Kylyssa profile image91
      Kylyssaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

People think on human timescales and don't even consider the age of the universe and the lifespan of stars or even species. I think we have many thousands of years to go before humanity is gone, but we're just a species as mortal as any other.

4. Austinstar profile image83

Kylyssa - I see you understand the situation. You are so right. Most people cannot see beyond their own driveway, much less envision how infinitely vast the universe is.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image66

All the tech we have and all those animals we have brought back from the brink of extinction does not change your views.  If it weren't for man they would have been exticnt for a long time by now, yet they are coming back in larger numbers every day.

10. cmoneyspinner1tf profile image84
    cmoneyspinner1tfposted 9 years ago

Do I THINK humans will go extinct? NO. But it don't take a genius to figure out all that's needed for that to happen is to kill all the women. Which is why I find it curious that in the Bible, Pharaoh wanted the male children killed to stop the Hebrews from multiplying. (???) Uh dude! Don't you understand "the birds and the bees"??  Don't you know what a mother would do to stop that from happening??  Don't you know other women usually help other women in distress, especially if a child is involved??  What was he THINKING???

Thanks for your answer.

2. Kylyssa profile image91

The thinking was intensely patriarchal. If the Hebrew women bore children by Egyptian men, the children were not considered Hebrew by the Egyptians. Killing men and male children and impregnating the women was a common warfare practice at the time.

11. Greensleeves Hubs profile image91
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 9 years ago

I agree with the prevailing opinion here that humans will not go extinct.

The only circumstance likely to bring extinction about (a cometary / meteorite collision is extremely unlikely in the near future) would be if we set in motion a train of climatological or environmental effects which become self-escalating and uncontrollable - a sort of 'vicious circle'. One example would be if global warming led to a significant temperature rise which in turn led to methane release from the ocean bed. (Methane is a powerful greenhouse gas locked into the sea bed which could be released if temperatures rise by more than a few degrees, and its release would therefore generate an even greater rise in world temperatures.)

Another example would be the melting of the ice caps which in turn would reduce the heat reflective capacity of the polar regions (ice is highly reflective), so the loss of ice would cause a further increase in world temperatures.

However assuming we avoid that level of stupidity, we have increasing ability to control our environment and I have little doubt that at least some would survive major epidemics, pollution or even nuclear war. Ultimately we will travel to establish colonies on other worlds so then even destruction of the Earth may not spell the end of the human species.

Whilst we remain here on Earth however, the bigger question is - as a result of overpopulation and destruction of the environment, will we create a world in which we really don't want to stay alive?

There is a bacteria that feeds upon the methane.  Many do not know of this and it is not widely known. I do not beleive in Overpopulation.  We are survivors and we already have the resources to do so. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Greensleeves Hubs profile image91
      Greensleeves Hubsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sadly Debra our population is growing at an accelerating pace. I wonder what will stop that?

As for the bacterium, that lives in soil, not in the oceans, and the bacterium itself would suffer if environmental conditions changed excessively.

http://www.weather.com/science/news/lif … -20140821?  They found that the water and mud were full of microscopic life, including bacteria that eat methane...

12. ponder profile image80
    ponderposted 9 years ago

No, humans will evolve into a higher level species.

1. alancaster149 profile image75
      alancaster149posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Evolution is something that pushes the species - onward and upward. Whatever shape we metamorphose into, we've been there before (from  shrew-like creatures after the Dinosaurs were wiped out, to hominids, Cro-Magnon man, advertising man (eh?) and on

2. Lady Guinevere profile image66

AC I didnt get a notification you responded.  Yes we will and have evolved.  Peope do live in the coldest of climates to the hottest, under the sea 4 shrt time and in space 4 shrt time.  We have adapted to do so..We will do more!

3. TalkingBull profile image60
      TalkingBullposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If we were to evolve into a higher-level species, homo sapiens sapiens would go extinct in favor of the new species we would become.

13. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

Lady G...what a thought!  In all honesty, until this moment, I've not ever entertained this question. 
    I happen to believe ANY thing, all things are possible.  I don't know how we dare say, "Never."  Should this become reality, I feel it won't occur for perhaps thousands of years.  Unless man magically becomes immortal, none of us nor our children's children for generations need be concerned.
    Now, wouldn't it be positively marvelous if the extinction could be "selective?".....Then I suppose it would be Heaven on Earth....many people certainly believe in that concept, don't they?
    Intriguing question, Lady G.

Hahahaha!!! True Dat!

14. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 9 years ago

Fukushima,HAARP,chemtrails,Monsanto,aspertame.....etcetcetc.Something doesn't want us here. Hell,ww3 right around the corner! Nuke em all if they can't have their way.We need a miracle.

We already have the miracles, just many don't know of them.

15. tsadjatko profile image66
    tsadjatkoposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12223764_f260.jpg

It would be nice, wouldn't it?  The extinction of all human beings. It is the only hope for the rest of all living things to not go extinct and there is a movement to this end, VHEMT (pronounced vehement) is a movement advanced by people who care about life on planet Earth. They’re not just a bunch of misanthropes and anti-social, Malthusian misfits, taking morbid delight whenever disaster strikes humans. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Voluntary human extinction is the humanitarian alternative to human disasters.

They don’t carry on about how the human race has shown itself to be a greedy, amoral parasite on the once-healthy face of this planet. That type of negativity offers no solution to the inexorable horrors which human activity is causing.

Rather, The Movement presents an encouraging alternative to the callous exploitation and wholesale destruction of Earth’s ecology.

As VHEMT Volunteers know, the hopeful alternative to the extinction of millions of species of plants and animals is the voluntary extinction of one species: Homo sapiens... us.

Each time another one of us decides to not add another one of us to the burgeoning billions already squatting on this ravaged planet, another ray of hope shines through the gloom.

When every human chooses to stop breeding, Earth’s biosphere will be allowed to return to its former glory, and all remaining creatures will be free to live, die, evolve (if they believe in evolution), and will perhaps pass away, as so many of Nature’s “experiments” have done throughout the eons.

It’s going to take all of us going.

Many see humor in The Movement and think they can’t be serious about voluntary human extinction, but in spite of the seriousness of both situation and movement, there’s room for humor. In fact, without humor, Earth’s condition gets unbearably depressing—a little levity eases the gravity.

True, wildlife rapidly going extinct and tens of thousands of children dying each day are not laughing matters, but neither laughing nor bemoaning will change what’s happening. We may as well have some fun as we work and play toward a better world.

Besides, returning Earth to its natural splendor and ending needless suffering of humanity are happy thoughts—no sense moping around in gloom and doom.

Even if their chances of succeeding were only one in a hundred, they would have to try. Giving up and allowing humanity to take its course is unconscionable. There is far too much at stake. http://www.vhemt.org/

Well that was different.  I have to think on this one a bit. Not sure if it was sarcasm or really an attempt to be funny...or serious?

2. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lady G...As I read tsad's comment, it appears very serious to me.  I don't feel any sarcasm in his words nor an attempt at humor.  I could be wrong, but as usual, I doubt it!  LOL  I'm checking out the link he left us.

I didn't know how to take it becasue humor was used many times in his answer.  Yes I do believe that we are being handpicked off this earth.  Steve Andrews wrote a hub about culling the population many years ago on here.

4. Michael-Milec profile image60
      Michael-Milecposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The best way is to wait and to see; there are more theories to consider..

16. Aime F profile image69
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

Yep, at the current pace, we will. We need a planet to live on and we've been less than kind to this one. Maybe by the time Earth gets crapped on enough for us to face extinction we'll have figured out a way to go to some other planet and hang out on that one for a while. But something tells me if we're smart enough to figure that out, we'd be smart enough to figure out how to help the one we're already on first. So, I guess it depends on if we decide to take environmental issues seriously rather than sarcastically rambling about voluntary human extinction.

Or a random comet, or a superbug, or some unstoppable, unimaginably huge force of nature will wipe us all out like it's nothing. smile

I think assuming that we'll never go extinct greatly overestimates our importance in the universe. All we can do is try to ensure that we don't kill ourselves off and then hope that something in the universe doesn't squash us like a bunch of bugs.

There have been so many times that was reported that something was going to come close enough to this earth and kill everyting on it, yet we are still here.  Ever heard of all the bunkers underground and all the Old Forgotten huge cities underground?

2. Aime F profile image69
      Aime Fposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it never will. I think it's probably bound to at some point. Will humans even still be here when that happens? Who knows. It could be millions of years from now or it could be tomorrow.

We have test tube babies, sperm banks, Egg Banks and huge seed banks of all the plants in the world.  We aloso have the Genome Project for just about every living being on the planet.  Geothermal Energy and more...

4. Aime F profile image69

And yet with the size of the universe and all that's out there, that's all still pretty small stuff. We're just people. Those are just things. Our planet is but a tiny dot and we are but pieces of dust in the grand scheme of things.

Why would we be the only living organisms in the whole of the Universe?  What purpose would that serve?  Have you seen anything from the Satellites and Hubble Spacecrafts?  They all cannot be liars.

6. Aime F profile image69

Huh? Where did I say we were the only living organisms in the universe? I really doubt that we are. That's sort of my point - we're not special to the universe.

7. Lady Guinevere profile image66

Sorry, I took it that you thought we were the only ones here and we will be extinct just becuz of that. The questions still are valid to others here that think we are going to go extinct becuz there is no proof of other things.

8. Aime F profile image69

Oh, I see. No, I think there is probably way more out there than we can ever hope to find.

17. Wulf Dreamwalker profile image61
    Wulf Dreamwalkerposted 9 years ago

Personally I feel  humans as we know them now will go extinct  to replaced by hopefully a new improved and more humane and nature loving version. One that cares for  the planet we inhabit, the life of all types on its surface and in its waters and air and  especially for fellow humans no matte the skin color religion education or nationality.

That is cool  Have you watched Natgeo or read their magazines?  They have lots of things in them that do not point to humas being un-kind to the planet. http://www.nationalgeographic.com/

18. Floris Wood profile image59
    Floris Woodposted 9 years ago

I am very surprised to find so many commenters believing the human race will never become extinct.  The human race as we know it is a mere few thousand years old while the universe is billions of years old.  There has been time and space enough in the universe for life to have been created and ended an untold number of times.  Likewise, there has been time and space enough during the life of the universe for many human races, and billions more other species, to have been created and ended an untold number of times over.  I know we tend to think that we are unique in the universe because we have never found any real evidence of other life in the universe.  But the universe is so vast in time and space (and perhaps there is no real difference between time and space) that the probability and possibility that there was NOT another human race and that there will not be MORE human races is zero.  But, if you ask me, and you did, this particular human race will end.

And, by the way, "race" is pretty much a social concept, and not very biological.  And we humans tend to use one characteristic more than any other to distinguish one race from another, that is skin color.  A more scientific distinction between us and the other animal inhabitants of Earth is "species".

There is life out there and we were put here from another life.  Some just choose to ignore those facts.  We are young but that does mean that we will not survive for a long time.  A baby is young but it LEARNS to survive.  We are just learning..

2. tsadjatko profile image66
      tsadjatkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"time and space"Even split-second,continuous,multiple chemical activity(going on for ages)and using all time and all space in the universe to carry on that activity could not accomplish what is needed. It could not produce life out of nothing.

tsad, How do you know there isn't anything out there?  We have already found many planets just like Earth.  I went to your link and find it OK. I can't comment back on it until someone else comments back on it.

4. tsadjatko profile image66

What you say is patently false - we have not found any planets "just like Earth" & that is why you do not site proof we have, there is none. but that has nothing to do with what I said: http://evolutionfacts.com/Evolution-handbook/E-H-5a.htm

tsa, your comments keep coming up as spam.  ???  That is only your opionin, not mine.  I watch the Science channel and other learning media, such magazines and the like.  U get UR facts and I have mine.  That's how we all learn.

6. tsadjatko profile image66

You say "We have already found many planets just like Earth"but you can't do a Google search and find one thing that supports thatstatement?Amazing!The Kepler mission is where the planet findings come from,they haver no claims like you made.

7. Lady Guinevere profile image66

tsa, I was not aware that I had to give any facts in statements.  If I wanted FACTS then I would have U write a hub about them.  I never asked for facts from anyone.  This is just a discussion, not a debate.

8. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

COOL! Lady G! As long as this is a discussion, not a debate & we don't need facts....I THINK George Clooney really wanted to marry me, but he lost my phone number!!   smile)  Drat!  Foiled again!  sigh.....support me.

9. tsadjatko profile image66

LG,if you had said in the first place everything you say is not based on fact I'd have been the first one to agree with you!My bad!And Paula,Clooney is my God Father, just had breakfast with him today,when I mentioned your name,he saidPaula who?

10. Floris Wood profile image59
      Floris Woodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I get frustrated trying to think of how vast the universe might be. Right when I feel I might grasp its infinite size, someone says now multiply that by infinity. Then comes infinity squared.  That is a lot of time and space.

11. Lady Guinevere profile image66

Floris, Thank You.  Tsa,I am not stupid.  and you don't have to be ignorant to others.  I went to your site.  China has been doing that for centuries and so has others.  NOTHING new there.  Sorry Puala for me allowing his rudeness here. No more

12. Wulf Dreamwalker profile image61
      Wulf Dreamwalkerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Tsad  if you went to those sites you would have seen the phrase Earth like which means similar to or like earth  so your  argument is in itself patently false.to assume  there is but one planet like ours is a sign of extreme hubris on your part.

13. Lady Guinevere profile image66

Wulf, Tsa cant play nice his his comments.  HP does know when something is spam because that is where all his message are put, so I delete them.  He wont read anyting other than his stuff.and has told us the we don't no what we are talking about.

14. Floris Wood profile image59
      Floris Woodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lady G,   Thanks for starting this conversation.  I admire your spirit.

15. Kylyssa profile image91

Earth-like doesn't mean just like earth with plants and animals or even liquid water. Mars would likely be classified as earth-like by the criteria used. The term shouldn't be used in articles written for laymen because it creates misunderstandings.

16. Lady Guinevere profile image66

These two are very interesting to read and look at the Hubble pictures.  http://hubblesite.org/explore_astronomy … isodes/370
      http://www.space.com/24133-super-planet … scope.html

17. Kylyssa profile image91

If you read those articles carefully, you'll notice they aren't saying those planets have water and compatible plant life on them at all. There might possibly be life on some of them but we need certain kinds of life to support us.

18. Lady Guinevere profile image66

I never said that they do, but there is a very strong possibility.  When we have filters on there are many things that we do not see.

19. profile image0
    Miran Shuletaposted 9 years ago

I'm guessing that eventually the world will cease to exist, therefore humans will become extinct at some point in the future.

Thanks for your comment

20. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

I don't think all life will go extinct. There is good reason to believe it will continue, in some form, for a very, very long time. Humans, however, will likely go extinct with Earth. There is a chance that we could extend our reign if we could successfully colonize other planets. But it's a race between our technological advancements and our rabid consumption. If the Earth can no longer sustain us, before we reach new planets, then we won't make it. Not to be cryptic, but it doesn't look good.

There is a great article or articles on Natgeo about food, our consumption on it and the various other uses of it.  Here is the main article:  http://food.nationalgeographic.com/

21. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

Eventually, yes.

When the spirit of man ascends and leaves behind the empty shells of Homo sapiens bodies, humanity will reduce to its lowest common denominator -- self-concern. We will have only wailing and gnashing -- victims and perpetrators. Civilization will crumble.

But in a few million years, the sun will grow hot enough that life will be challenged on Earth. In a few hundred million, life on the surface may disappear. And in a billion years or so, the oceans may be too hot for life to continue. Also, the Andromeda galaxy will be colliding with our own, possibly disrupting stars and planets.

For those who wake up spiritually, all of these things won't matter.

22. Sharp Points profile image83
    Sharp Pointsposted 9 years ago

I believe everything has a start and an end. If that isn't the case, then yes we will still go extinct. We may be smarter than other animals, but we are still fragile creatures in a fragile ecosystem.

How are we fragile?

2. Kylyssa profile image91

Minute changes to ecosystems can bring them crashing down. Minute changes to a human can kill him or her easily. I've seen too many people die from ridiculously tiny things to think anything else.

An I have seen tinier that kills many animals as well.  I have seen things come back from the brink of extinction by the hands of man.

23. Erik Mion profile image64
    Erik Mionposted 9 years ago

For the past 4.5 billion years species have come and gone from this planet. All it would take is one asteroid or super volcano to spew gases, ash, and other volatiles into the atmosphere, which would effectively turn the earth as we know it into a giant icebox. That is assuming we don't vaporize each other with billions of tons of nuclear devices beforehand.

1. Kylyssa profile image91

I think it's hubris to think our species is so much more special than every other species that it can't be destroyed. We may be relatively tough compared to other species but many species of life we rely on to produce oxygen are not.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image66

We have already had many super volcanos erupt.  Mnay species that we thought  were extinct are not and many we thought were on the brink are making a strong comeback. We can now freeze embryos and have sperm backs to last way into the future.

3. Kylyssa profile image91

The Yellowstone super-volcano could easily take out most of the continental US in hours to days with most other life on earth to follow within months. Our current level of technology probably could not save our species if it blew.

4. Lady Guinevere profile image66

There are underground bunkers and whole cities that most do not know about.  There is a bunker under Wash DC that can house thousands. The now have a catalog of all the movies or electronic media down there. There are many undergrnd Milit bases in US

5. Kylyssa profile image91

There are truly amazing underground bunkers but nothing built to withstand that kind of seismic activity.

I think we're just resourceful, inventive, intelligent beings, not gods. The laws of physics are spectacularly more powerful than humans.

6. Lady Guinevere profile image66

How do you know those bunkers could not be that strong?  How about the underground Cities, such as the found in Turkey and Rome and other places.  They are more than a few miles deep.

7. Erik Mion profile image64
      Erik Mionposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And once there were mountains thousands of feet higher than mount everest. What mother nature wants she takes.

8. Lady Guinevere profile image66

Those who live in the areas that have these natural disasters and ignore the words of those who KNOW the disasters will come..they arn't so bright.  Testing Mother Nature will always bring disaster.

9. Kylyssa profile image91

I can't explain super-volcanoes in 246 characters, but if you read about them you'll understand a volcano with a mouth 45 MILES across can do enough damage to wreck us completely. Extinction is part of the natural order; nothing to be feared.

24. nanderson500 profile image79
    nanderson500posted 9 years ago

Yes, it seems nearly inevitable that humans will go extinct at some point. However, if we are able to master space travel, we may be able to spread across the universe and survive for many millions of years.

I agree and we are working on that as we type.  We have already lived in space for a number of months and also under the sea as well.  There is promise!  We have preserved and brought back to life embryos and sperm of more than just humans and DNA

25. maunderingcabal profile image81
    maunderingcabalposted 9 years ago

We are exponentially growing in population. It is inevitable that we will run out of resources and totally destroy this planet unless we change our was and limit reproduction. Unfortunately, no one seems to care about impending disasters related to this because they seem so far out, our future generations will not thank us for the actions we took in the last couple hundred years.

We are NOT overpopulated over the whole of the earth.  We are doing things that most people do not comprehend or see becaue of this kind of propoganda.  Were are humans in teh wilderness and how many are in the cities?

2. maunderingcabal profile image81
      maunderingcabalposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you think the earth is not overpopulated, do you think there is enough food to sustain our current levels...because people are starving all over the earth, and we are genetically modifying food just to survive.

3. profile image53
      Matt Dalleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

When the Ogallala aquifer runs dry, how many people on earth will miss our grains fueling humanitarian aid?  How will our own fare in the midwest with no groundwater?  We are not sustainable with the current population, let alone a growing population

4. Austinstar profile image83

Ian, you are so right. It's really not food that will kill off most of the population though, it's going to be the sustainability of clean water that will do us in if the population keeps growing at this rate. The spread of disease is water borne.

26. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 9 years ago

Aren't you waiting for the return of our Savior, Jesus?  Humans will never go extinct.  We will live and reign with Him, forever.

Jesus has already come.  That is when he said that The Kingdom of God is Within us and that the laws are already in our hearts and minds.  I wrote a hub about my Heaven Experience and I have much to tell in that, if you so desire to learn more.

27. Jan Grossmann profile image61
    Jan Grossmannposted 9 years ago

Sometimes it may seem that our civlisation is really going to end..but it is not for the first time in history...in my opinion, human can make a lot to harm our planet...but the last word always belongs to God, so no worry.

28. clivewilliams profile image72
    clivewilliamsposted 9 years ago

No..we are not just flesh but spirit. It is ordained that the spirit be hosted in a human body. humans may go extinct on various planets, but contrary to aliens having Big heads and large eyes. Aliens are humans. We exist on different dimensions on different planetary levels.

Now that is what I think too.  When the ancients saw the Aliens, they could do lots of things and they thought that they were Gods.  As we evolved and got smarter then we see they are just us from long ago and put here by them.

29. Dwight Phoenix profile image69
    Dwight Phoenixposted 9 years ago

It all depends on how you interpret the word extinct:

1. It could either mean that the object in question has morphed into something else.

2. The doing away of that object's existence from one specific     environment to another.

3. Or simply that that object has ceased to exist in all shape or forms.

However if we choose to at least consider any of these as possible then yes, People as we know them now will not exist in the far future.

If you read my hubs: 
    How to get SUPER POWERS here:
    http://dwightphoenix.hubpages.com/hub/H … PER-POWERS

Is Christmas getting old or am I here: http://dwightphoenix.hubpages.com/hub/I … ld-or-am-I

...You'll see where i talk about some of these concepts....Good question

30. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 9 years ago

Physically we might go extinct, but that depends on how far technology advances and pending any massive disaster. However, we are advancing so quickly that we might be able to overcome the rising dangers that are about to unfold.

The consequences of disease and famine could eventually kill millions of people, but it shouldn't destroy the population. In the end it's a wait and see kind of deal and there are no absolutes right now.

31. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

It's gonna happen eventually, no matter how you look at it. Unless we can figure out interstellar travel, we've got a maximum of 5 billion years left--y'know, when the sun goes supernova and turns the planet itself into powder.

The only question is, will it be sooner or later? I'd like to think later, as we are very resilient as a species, and scientific advancements are leading us to value intelligence and knowledge over brute force and superstition, despite some groups still valuing such things.

Yes there are still those groups who have tunnel vision.  I'd like to think that we now better than a whole planet being turned to dust as each one in the system depends on it.  That would make all of them, incl Sun and all others systems chngd

32. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

The human race is the one that are capable of making conscious decisions about its environment and so far, it has been reckless in destroying the life support system it is in. Think of the wars and all the calamities mostly because of what man is. Unless men evolve to become it's better and more spiritual self, it will continue this destruction. Lessons in the past have told us that weak beings will not survive. Hopefully, humans will evolve and avoid extinction.

33. TalkingBull profile image60
    TalkingBullposted 9 years ago

Most definitely.  While we may one day be able to leave this planet and find refuge elsewhere, we will not survive on Earth for much longer.  That's not to say we are out of here in a few years--the sun will make this planet inhospitable for life in about 500 million years, though I doubt we will live for that long.

I do love Sci-Fi and I like to think that we may one day achieve the galactic civilization dreamed of by the likes of Asimov, but I don't see that happening given the problems of distance and time.  Of course, in the end, entropy will take us out along with everything else.

34. rahmat54146 profile image39
    rahmat54146posted 9 years ago

not....human wil not extict because....

more sexsuall activity perhaps....

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)