Disclaimer:I'm Black,now the deep psychological question: What makes Black South

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

Disclaimer:I'm Black,now the deep psychological question: What makes Black Southerners, the Black

Southern diaspora & descendants STILL value strict conformity,obedience,extreme religiosity, self-hatred,& submissiveness in contrast to Black Caribbeans,the Black Caribbean diaspora & descendants in the USA who STRESS independence,assertiveness,self-pride, & an in your face attitude?Among my Southern relatives,there's a very strong religiosity,unquestioning obedience, & conformity.In contrast my Caribbean relatives are proactive, assertive, & REFUSE to be submissive.The first still POSSESS a slave/victimology consciousness/psychology/mindset while the other REFUSE to succumb to such.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12290098_f260.jpg

2. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

Disclaimer-I am not just white and I was raised in many, many black foster homes. Though a disclaimer isn't really needed but given what I am about to say I don't want anyone to confuse it with racism, just simple observation.
    Here in the south it seems that being "ghetto" or "from the hood" is deemed acceptable and almost desirable to teens. It seems to be a horrible cycle of blaming white people for their inability to do better for themselves instead of taking control and getting themselves out of the "hood". Where as in many other parts of the country, blacks who grow up in the hood strive to do better for themselves and their future children. It is an easy way out to blame others for their own failures and to stay stuck in the religious ways while at the same time claiming they are left behind.
    Granted, in the south there really is a good bit of racism, adults control their own lives and can choose to overcome the issues. Instead they find comfort in the victim mentality. I think lower education can have a great deal to do with it. It's hard to do better for yourself or see outside of the box if you aren't educated.
    I have a very good friend who is a mid 50's black woman. She pushed through a crappy life here in the south to become a well off black woman. She raised her children with manners, self respect, and love for all. The result? Fellow black people treated her poorly and claimed she was raising "white kids". Instead of just seeing them as educated young men they were called white as an insult. It seems those still living in the victim mentality simply aren't happy with their fellow blacks unless they are also living the hood life. Very sad.
    It's hard being a minority in the south, which is even more of a reason for them to refuse to have such an unrealistic view of their own lives.

1. Kiss andTales profile image79
      Kiss andTalesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

In answering your post , it is sad when people or other humans are separated from society based on color, in the US we are a mixed people who have many mixed backgrounds, we are not all white or we are not all black or any other race as pure.

3. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 3 years ago

Though I was born and raised in Oakland CA, my ancestry is from the Caribbean (Haiti).  Caribbeans come across as well-mannered, disciplined, and highly educated to the point of being snobs, but there's a reason those countries are poor, with Haiti being the most impoverished in the Western Hemisphere.  According to my experience, this image is a brittle veneer covering a vault of dysfunction.  The reason I don't discuss my family is because the saga is rated NC17.
    The major difference between African American ghetto types and Caribbeans is that African Americans are more blunt and open about their dysfunction; they don't hide it. True, not all Caribbeans are like that, but neither are all African Americans.
    What can be done about it?  When people lose their culture, or are betrayed by it, they need to turn to another.  I've been helped by studying different nationalities and religions.  Perhaps blacks can learn about the ways of the countries their ancestors came from (mine are possibly from Zaire; I understand most African Americans come from Nigeria).  Take on what's good about your ancestral ways of life, omit the negative, and search other modes, such as the Native Americans, who were very sympathetic towards the black slaves.  I have personally always been a great admirer of Mexicans.  Case in point: black slaves used to escape to escape to Florida, living among the Seminole tribes there.  When that was taken over, they escape to Mexico.  The reason some Mexicans have curly hair is because they mixed with blacks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)