jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

Do you really think LGBT community deserves an equal rights for marriage?

1. KenDeanAgudo profile image83
    KenDeanAgudoposted 2 years ago

Do you really think LGBT community deserves an equal rights for marriage?

2. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

The word "deserves" really strikes me in this question. Do people have to deserve equal rights? Who decides who deserves them, and who doesn't? Are we putting this to a vote? Because honestly, my neighbors to the west are complete jerks, and I don't think they deserve the same rights I have...

Of course, that's a silly argument. Everyone deserves the same rights, regardless of their gender, or their belief system, or their age, or their politics, or their sexual orientation. Equal rights mean everyone is treated the same. What's good for you, and for me, is good for my complete jerk neighbors.

Anything other than equal makes some groups lesser than others under the law. We're all humans. We're all the same. Nobody should be deprived of the rights their neighbors have under the law, simply because their might be a difference in their skin color, or their religious practices, or who they choose to love.

KenDeanAgudoposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I didn't ask this question to offend somebody. I do know that marriage is a sacred ritual/ceremony that was given by god for a man and a women only. But yes, everyone deserve equal rights but I guess there are few limitations.

2. sockii profile image80
      sockiiposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Marriage came about for political and financial reasons first, and was retro-fitted to be justified as somehow "holy" and "religious" to try to force/encourage more people to embrace it.

3. lisavollrath profile image96
      lisavollrathposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Equal rights with limitations? That's not equal. Equal rights means everybody is treated the same way. And marriage? It's a civil contract, and not official until the government grants you a license.

3. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

Yes, why shouldn't human beings "deserve" fair and equal treatment in a country that says "all are created equal". They aren't criminals, they are everyday people.

Everyone deserves to be happy and you are right with that. I also agree with that but do we need to break God's rule just for us to be happy?

2. ChristinS profile image96
      ChristinSposted 2 years agoin reply to this

We live in a secular nation not a theocracy, and your God's rules don't govern all of us.  I get tired of this non-argument. Secular marriage has been in existence for a long time and non-religious marry.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image93
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

No offense, but the premise of this question is obsolete. History has decided in favor of marriage equality, much like it decided in favor of civil rights. That doesn't mean the battle is over, or that homophobia will go away, but modern morality has already decided. This isn't (and shouldn't be) open for debate anymore.

1. lisavollrath profile image96
      lisavollrathposted 2 years agoin reply to this

While marriage equality has been established, in some states, you can be fired from your job for being gay or trans. Sexual orientation and gender identity are still not included in most equal rights laws.

2. KenDeanAgudo profile image83

Yup, it's obsolete discussion but it will never go old in many generations.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image93
      M. T. Dremerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You're absolutely right, Lisa. There is still much further to go for true equal rights. I'm just glad we can put the marriage one behind us.

working