Is there a reason psychologists never ask to see pictures of your family to glea

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 8 years ago

Is there a reason psychologists never ask to see pictures of your family to glean more information?

Not an earth-shaking question here.  I just was curious why no counselor or psychologist has ever asked to see pictures of the people in my past life or even my present life in order to get a visual picture that would piece together some of the puzzles presented to them. If I look at a picture of my father as a boy, it's clear to me that his tendency for depression happened VERY early on.  If I look at pictures of my little family that dissolved, I have no clue as to why, and I often wonder if a psychologist would. Wouldn't pictures help psychologists get a "clearer" picture?  Just curious.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12642697_f260.jpg

2. Brynn Thorssen profile image85
    Brynn Thorssenposted 8 years ago

I'm not a psychologist .... but remember when you used to see articles about how the body language of celebrities meant their relationship was deteriorating and they were on a runaway train bound for divorce?  I noticed that there are few articles about this any more.

Photographs show one or two seconds in time.  Knowing your father, you look at this photo and assume that his depression started at an early age.  I look at the photo and see a young boy that maybe had a bad day, maybe he was being abused, maybe someone had recently died, maybe his dog just ran away.  It doesn't necessarily mean it is a mental health issue, which would make a photograph an unreliable tool.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think you are right. Photographs display a second of your life. It may not aid in studying the mental conditions or life history of a person unless it was shot in some extreme conditions.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Carrie, I DO remember when articles abt. body language were popular.   You're exactly right. Pictures w/o context can be deceiving. Both my father's father and his mother had died at the time this picture was taken and the 5 siblings were separated.

3. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 8 years ago

Photographs can not reveal the state of mind of a person. They are only images of appearances and only for one particular moment of your life. On the other hand, psychologists try to communicate with people around you in your family for studying your behaviour and to know the impact of their influences or any other incidents of life on your behaviour. that is how they study and diagnose the disease. In that process, they may sometimes look at your family albums which if,  portray many moments of your life in those images.

Thank you Venkatachari M.  I was thinking that "Gee, I think I should give my counselor a list of the cast of characters w/ pictures to keep it all straight smile  I don't know how you all manage to do it each hour for all of us, but we're GRATEFUL!!!

2. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome, Billie Kelpin. It's nothing but brotherhood and humanity.

4. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

I agree with the other answers. If you look at a picture of my father when he was a young adult, you see a smiling happy man. It gives no indication of his alcoholism or the fact that it runs in my family. Thankfully, it skipped over my siblings and me, but I have a couple of cousins who weren't so lucky.

MizBejabbers, Thank you for your response.  Alcoholism creates a whole family dynamic, doesn't it.  Either it "skipped over" you and your siblings or perhaps you made some conscious decisions to overtake the disease - if that's possible.

5. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 8 years ago

i have shown a psychologist pictures of my family, but he never requested them. i agree that photos do not present a vision of depression or other emotional problems. Many people who laugh on the outside are hurting on the inside. A brief look at someone can tell very little. It would be nice if photos could tell stories and help psychologists. I even showed my psychologist a photo of my grandson and dog, as I thought he might like to see them. I love my family, and that was the real reason. .

That seems to be the concensus here Audrey.  I would imagine, though, that the picture of your grandson and dog made the psychologist smile and gave him or her a nice frame of reference smile  Cheers, Billie

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)