When will altruistic people realize that their altruism makes people see them as

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image82
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

When will altruistic people realize that their altruism makes people see them as weak, foolish, &

causes them to always end up last?  What makes altruists even being disdained by their own family members? Will altruists learn to say no & mean it?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8200477_f260.jpg

2. WordCrafter09 profile image64
    WordCrafter09posted 8 years ago

As someone who considers herself altruistic, I can and do say "no" when I see the issue as an important one for one reason or another.  Whether it's me or someone I've known who is similar to me, not saying "no" is often a matter of choosing to do the grown-up and right thing to do, rather than being so insecure about who thinks what about me (us) that I'll "let someone rot" just so that nobody thinks I'm weak. Grown-ups a) understand that sometimes someone else may an inconvenience, but b) not doing the grown-up thing (and doing something for someone) is either not being a grown-up or else is having a twisted and misguided view of the character of others.

My "theory" about "the disdainers" is that they either didn't have the kind of mother/father who knew enough to help them sort out this kind of stuff (and instead listened to people who impressed them), or maybe because they "left the nest" too soon and their mother/father didn't have the chance to finish up on the "finer points" of being a person/socialization, etc.   (like the difference between choosing to be inconvenienced by someone because it's what WE choose and see as "right", or instead being too stupid or weak to know how to say "no".)

I think many people of my generation in particular looked to things like self-help/attitude books because they figured that's where the most solid "how to be happy"/what's a healthy relationship" ideas are; but if you have the person who didn't have the parent to share what needed to be shared before that person left the nest at, say, eighteen; by the time that person gets to those self-help books (and their pals) to sort out "how to live" or "how to be", there's a whole lot missing that he didn't learn about how to interpret/understand people in their own relationships.

So, they bring an immature and inaccurate perspective into adulthood and use that as a "baseline" to which they then apply whatever else they try to figure out about being a young adult.

The person who is secure and faced with the choice to do something for someone else may know from the start how much he will/can do how often, or for how long.  Based on that that person will choose to help, knowing there may come a time when he cannot or chooses not to.

The person who strong and secure doesn't worry about whether he (often she) appears weak to people who don't know any better. Other strong, secure, caring, people do.

gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

YES, but there are altruistic people who refuse/can't say no.  That is what perturbs me.  Others sense that & go for the proverbial jugular.  At least selfish people can say NO, let others fend for themselves or.....DO WITHOUT.

3. lisavollrath profile image90
    lisavollrathposted 8 years ago

Oh, GM, you're starting to sound like my not so dearly departed mother, who used to berate me for dropping money into the red kettles at Christmas while I was still a starving student. She used to say things like, "Who do you think you are, little Miss Rich Bitch?", and I'd reply with, "I know I have a roof over my head tonight, and food to eat, so I'm giving a few cents from the bottom of my purse to ensure someone else does, too."

If you believe that altruism makes one weak, I suppose I have to ask how. Weak as a person? I think it makes me a better person, to think of others. Weak as a member of society? At a time when the "I've got mine, so the hell with all the rest of you" attitude seems to prevail in certain sectors of our society, who else looks out for those who have nothing? Who else will look outside themselves, to see the people around them, and ask, "What can I do to help?"

And how can asking what I can do to help others ever be a bad thing? How can giving a little time, or a few dollars, to help those with less, ever fail to raise us all up?

My friend, I say no to a lot of things, but I will never say no to being aware and involved in making things better for those who have less, or need help. And I will never, ever believe that it causes me to end up last, because at the end of the day, our society is about people, not dollars.

1. Michaela Osiecki profile image67
      Michaela Osieckiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Best answer, hands down.

2. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Cheers for this.  Anyone who sees generosity and kindness as weak has their own issues to sort out.  Perhaps not enough people have extended kindness to them.

4. Aime F profile image69
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

You know, if people want to see me as weak or foolish because I want to help others then that's fine.  I see myself as compassionate and empathetic, and that's all that matters.  I feel good about the choices I make and I know that I've done what I can to have a positive impact on other people's lives.  The minute I change who I am because of what other people think of me is the minute I truly do become weak and foolish. 

My family most definitely has no disdain for me, in fact I think they're all quite proud of the person I have become. 

As for saying "no" and meaning it, altruism isn't about being a doormat.  Altruism is about valuing others as you value yourself.  I always ask myself "am I doing this because I feel pressured into it or am I doing this because I feel it's important?"  If it's not something that I think is truly going to help someone then I have no problem saying no.

1. ChristinS profile image38

"The minute I change who I am because of what other people think of me is the minute I truly do become weak and foolish. "  < So agree!

5. Say Yes To Life profile image78
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years ago

Altruism has actually saved a lot of people - the helpers as well as the helped.  Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel made the wise choice to deal with his monumental PTSD by dedicating his life to doing all he can to prevent future holocausts, to Jews and everyone else.  He is a highly respected professor at Boston University, has his own Foundation for Humanity, serves as a presidential advisor, and received the Nobel Peace Price in 1986.  Bernie Madoff wiped out his funds, but he is able to continue his work through donations from a variety of unlikely sources.
    By the way, being too weak to say no to obvious users is not altruism.

Yes,, there are altruistic people who ALWAYS put others FIRST.  They have no concept of self.  They GIVE, GIVE, GIVE & always pulling THEIR weight while others......DON'T!

2. Say Yes To Life profile image78
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is not altruism; that is foolishness. No one has inexhaustible supplies; a wise, truly altruistic person knows that. Elie Wiesel said he will never forgive Bernie Madoff.

3. gmwilliams profile image82

Exactly, however, there are altruistic people who GIVE, GIVE, GIVE & wonder why people disrespect them.Also, the same people adopt passive-aggressive ways because they are taken advantage of.They refuse to set boundaries. They won't/can't say NO!

6. dashingscorpio profile image70
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12754358_f260.jpg

I believe most people are selective when it comes to helping people including their own family members. Aside from some folks' parents I don't know many people who would put themselves at risk for hardship to bail someone else out.
    Generally speaking people only give away what they feel they can do without. People like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet give away millions of dollars every year around the world but it doesn't change their living standards. They can afford to give without impact/hardship.
    It's the people who have little that are at risk of overextending themselves. You help one cause and then they sell your name to other charitable organizations. I'm sure there are tons of worthwhile causes! However charity does begin at home!
    Only conmen, family members, and so called friends that take advantage of people might view altruistic people as suckers.

7. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

I have no choice but to respond as a mother. I am 1st, foremost & every ounce of my being, a mother. All the other many hats I wear, or have worn, fall into place somewhere~but NEVER before my maternal existence.
    Having said this Grace, I took the time to find 2 literal definitions of "altruistic/ism." I want to be specific. I'm fairly sure I leaned toward altruism during my early years, 1.) it's my basic nature & 2.) I was raised by a family & extended family who were all this way. I suppose I had my moments of selfishness & thinking only of myself, since that's part & parcel of our human nature.
    I can tell you in all truthfulness and sincerity, from the moment I conceived my first child, I immediately & permanently ceased to be No. 1. I didn't make a conscious decision. It just was. I discovered WHO I was & what my purpose was from that moment on.
    Never once in 48 years have I faltered, struggled w/ this nor had an ounce of doubt or regret. My only selfish "choice" was & is that my sons are my entire life. Now, all these years later, they've added their beautiful wives & precious children to my list of reasons for living.
    Nothing, no one, no way, no how...comes before them. They ARE my life. I am utterly positive I am not in any way, seen as "weak or foolish," but quite the contrary. To be sure though Grace, I haven't any concern as to how I'm "seen" by another living soul except my loves & myself. My "choice" not only did NOT cause me to "end up last," but I'm a winner in so many ways.  Don't yawn yet, I'm not done.
    I had my own life, very fulfilling w/ all I ever wanted. I had a successful career, friends and much fun. I did all of it for THEM, which in turn made me gloriously happy, which in turn allowed me to feel very successful.  I've had more than my share of knocks & fall-downs, but such is life. We pick up & go on.
    I had 4 of the most amazing sons who have become, not surprisingly, loving husbands, stellar Dads and quite successful. Yes 4 sons, Grace, which I know to you is a LARGE family. I made sure they had the best of all I could provide: love, attention, support, education, encouragement & a happy home~& I know you'll like this~ the older ones did not ever have to raise their younger brothers, nor did the gov't ever provide for us. They are thoughtful, considerate and respectful sons. I am B L ES S E D.  I never forced myself to say, "No" unless absolutely necessary. Looks like there's no need for me start now!...Peace, Paula

You have made EXCELLENT points which I agree with. BTW, 4 children aren't a large family at all.  I was thinking of how kind people have to always rescue those who NEVER pull their weight e.g. adult siblings & other extended relatives.

2. ChristinS profile image38

You are awesome Paula, I admire this.  My sons and husband see me as a cornerstone in my family, the rock and it is in no way weakness to put our children ahead of ourselves.  Many of us do it and still find personal fulfillment as well.

3. fpherj48 profile image59
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Christin...LOL thanks. after half a century, we become the literal translations of altruism.  The line of  "Before Me" has GROWN, plus my charity & volunteer work. One of these days, I'm getting a haircut & a pedicure! I'm a mess! U're awesom

4. gmwilliams profile image82

Paula has GREAT words of wisdom.  She is beyond awesome.  So are you, ChristinS!

8. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

One can be generous, kind and compassionate without being a doormat.  I assure you, I am no one's doormat, yet I am kind to those who need it and I want to ensure that others have some of the many blessings I have.  I have no use for selfish people who put themselves so far ahead of everyone they spend their times looking down their noses on people they feel are "beneath" them.  If that makes me "weak" in the eyes of selfish people so be it.  I can't say I give two hoots what a selfish, arrogant person would think. 

My biological father was a psychopath, a true criminal with no regard for anyone.  Knowing that is what I came from made me push harder to be a decent human being with compassion for others.  I'm proud of who I am and I'll continue on my altruistic path all my life - because I am not the only one on this planet who matters. 

Some people do take selflessness too far and become "martyrs" but the vast majority of generous and kind people are not that, they are genuinely kind people.

++++++++, great answer indeed!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)