Possible Evidence of Life on Titan!

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (52 posts)
  1. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

I'm amazed this isn't bigger news.

Scientists are reporting possible evidence of primitive life on Titan! Titan has been suspected for along time of being capable of supporting some form of life, but this is the first evidence that there might actually BE life. At this point, the discovery is still tentative in the extreme, and they admit that there are reasonable alternate explanations, but it's still pretty darn exciting!

What makes it even more interesting is that the life forms, if they indeed exist, do not appear to be water-based like life on Earth. They may be breathing hydrogen, and may be methane-based!

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/ … 00603.html

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is pretty cool. (sic) But I think it is not big news yet because it is only speculation. Interesting though.

And LOL @ Brenda trying to introduce her pro divorce and adultery agenda into a discussion about space exploration.

2. aware profile image68
    awareposted 13 years ago

its our definition of life that's primitive.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

To completely rule out the possibility of life other than Earth is completely foolish.

To think Human beings are the only "intelligent" life in existence, is also foolish, if you go that far with it.

Of course there is life on other planets.

1. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

On which planet(not satellite) in this solar system exactly ?

1. wyanjen profile image71
        wyanjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

None in our solar system...

But in 2009 Kepler was launched. It has the capability to spot extrasolar planets.

In theory, a habitable planet needs to have certain elements. Some of them are:

An orbit close enough to a star so that water can be in liquid form, not always frozen (or evaporated)
        Active plate tectonics
        Active tidal system

The extrasolar planets that could have these characteristics are too small for us too see with standard telescopes. Kepler is finding them with new technology. There could be dozens and dozens of them, or there could be zero. (Kep found 5 new planets in the first month of searching, but they are all gas giants.)

big_smile

2. optimus grimlock profile image59
      optimus grimlockposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You forgot one: to say all human lif is intelligent is folish! lol

4. goldenpath profile image66
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

Very cool article!  Some believe that discovered life elsewhere would somehow diminish the scope of human existence.  On the contrary, I believe that it would enhance the quality and uniqueness of mankind.  It's quite humbling to not think of mankind as the "albeit" of the universe, but rather a precious gem among countless others in a community of life.

5. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

I read several paragraphs, but got bored after the first one.
    And a bit disgusted!   Because it's irritating to think of all the money spent on that type of research while America digs its heels into debt further and further.
    Space may be the "final frontier" to Star Trekkies, but by George we need to be considering our own human frontier instead of reaching for the stars for some "methane-based" inhuman life-forms.

P.S.
    I don't wanna be a thread-stopper here.   I understand you're interested in this subject.   I just responded with my opinion and legitimate concerns about the focus our government places on so many things I consider nonsensical.

Cassini–Huygens is not an American project.

The mission is a combined effort of ASI, ESA, and NASA. There are 20 nations involved - not just the US.

Cassini-Huygens was launched in 1997. The US's share of the total cost of this project is $2.6 billion. Divide that number by 13 years (not even counting the planning/construction stage), then take a look at some other government projects:

TARP - $700 billion
      Pentagon spending, February 2010, Iraq - 5.5 billion
      Pentagon spending, February 2010, Afghanistan - 6.7 billion

Does it seem non-sensical now? Where do you think that $2.6 billion was spent, over the years?
      (Hint= people's salaries)

It's no surprise that you are bored and disgusted by science. But this project cost less than the Iraq war costs in a single month.
      Which project is a benefit to the "human frontier", and which one is destroying it?

hmm

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The science projects!
        Seriously, I believe it's still useless.

But there is something else that concerns me even more.
        The most recent rocket launching into space was done by a "private" group,  not NASA even (this according to a News segment I saw the other day);  and they were secretive about some of the details of the launch's projected time frame, etc.

Now THAT scares me even more than NASA's goals.

Which of one NASA's goals has you especially frightened?

1. profile image0

I should've said disappointed more than frightened.
            But I am frightened for the souls of men/women who try to defy God.  I consider space travel to be partly silly and partly rebellion.
            God put man on the planet Earth.  Not in outer space itself or on some other planet.  I'm sure He had a good reason for that.  Yet mankind in general keeps trying to get to heaven and/or find some kind of eternal life by other means than the one that He chooses for us.   Their thirst for knowledge has become a modern-day Tower of Babel.    And yet most of us live in the  collateral effects of it as well!  Look at us right here---typing on computers that get fed by satellite signals from outer space I assume.....
            We partake.  For varied reasons.  I think, even in something like this issue, it's the intent that matters.  As I said before, some do it in hopes that science will show them a way to escape the earth that God says He will one day destroy.   That's where science veers from Faith big-time.

1. profile image0
              Precious Williamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Brenda.  I'm interested in your view.  Why do you see space travel as partly rebellion?  We may have been put on planet earth, but I don't see that it's rebellion for people to explore, because I don't know of any teachings that say people shouldn't.

2. wyanjen profile image71

How do you know that it's not god's intent for mankind to populate the galaxy? What if it is god's will for man to expand his knowledge to the widest possible extent, in order to understand the truth of the divinity?

this is crazy talk. Space exploration is not an atheist endeavor.

It is never better to not know, than to know.
              If you truly believe that a thirst for knowledge is merely sinful pride, I wonder why you are even on the internet. Wouldn't that be sin by association?

You know, in Star Wars, the space traveling rebels were the good guys.
              http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sw017.gif

1. donotfear profile image83
                donotfearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I tend to agree with this. I remember questioning a pastor about my own confusion at the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe.  I don't remember the exact conversation, but this man of God merely stated, "The Bible doesn't state there is life out there in the universe....but it doesn't state there's NOT life elsewhere.'  I tend to lean this direction.  I've known lots of Christian friends who also believe there is more than likely life out there.

3. Origin profile image61
              Originposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nothing is stopping the people who believe that God would disapprove to just stay home on earth, and let the explorers and scientists out there explore the universe. I'm excited to see what's out there beyond our reach, and I don't believe it's blasphemy or frowned upon by God to do so.

kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I don't think God would have given us a brain or a sense of curiosity about the world if He didn't want us to use them!

1. Randy Godwin profile image58
                  Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about that, KerryG!  Look how pissed he got about the tower of Babel!  Wonder if he knew it wouldn't have worked anyway?

6. TLMinut profile image59
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

True Brenda, but the drive to know is pretty strong.

Seems this was hypothesized long ago and yes, finding it may really be true is wonderful! Not for any particular reason, it just is.

7. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

Neat image:
    Artists drawing of the view from Titan

We'll have to Photoshop in some little critters running around big_smile

http://www.zmescience.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/i07-14-titan.jpg

Brrrr!

Another article I read on the topic points out that when the sun becomes a red giant in about 4 billion years, Titan will be a paradise. Interesting to think that we might be looking at the distant ancestors of intelligent life...

I wonder if there's anything strong enough to last four billion years, so we could leave a plaque or something sitting on a mountain for them to find. "Howdy! We're long gone now, but we thought you might be interested in knowing that you're not the only brainy critters hanging around the universe, or even the solar system. Good luck!"

8. profile image58
    foreignpressposted 13 years ago

Earth is very close to the end. If Armageddon doesn't happen soon we'll destroy this planet by ourselves. Many people are counting on the 2012 devastation.
       Regardless, we have to find other planets to inhabit. So space exploration, whether by government or private, is vital to our survival.

1. profile image0

Interesting as always that people think, through science, that they can escape Judgement Day by running to another planet......

1. watchya profile image60
        watchyaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol
        that was funny !

Life is everywhere ! Everything has Life.

2. donotfear profile image83
      donotfearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That planet would be totally IN-habitable.  It's full of methane gas~!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For humans at least... without some kind of dome or whatever.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
          Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But wouldn't that be UN-inhabitable?

3. mythbuster profile image70
      mythbusterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I sense fear and propaganda here...

Or - I sense propaganda and I fear here?

Something like that - either way will do lol

9. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

That is really cool smile Sparks the imagination doesn't it?

Brenda: I guess you are thrilled with Obama that he stopped the shuttle program for now... big_smile

1. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Funny/SmileyLOL01.gif

10. Origin profile image61
    Originposted 13 years ago

That is an interesting article. I do believe that there are different forms of life on other planets that differs from our own.

11. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

It think it's a cool possibility too. But I think Mars has more possibilities.  Here's the image from the article:
    http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/264507main_pia11001-browse.jpg

It's supposed to be what a methane lake could look like on Titan.

1. Origin profile image61
      Originposted 13 years ago

In probably a thousand years, we'll have the technology to terraform to a certain extent. I can see Mars being one of them!

1. Randy Godwin profile image58
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I find that a majority of folks I have had discussions with think life is present elsewhere in the universe.  Only the very closed minded think otherwise.

I wonder how much money is spent on religious purposes each year?  Just church maintenance and expenses much be huge, not counting tv programs and pastors income.  And how much tax money is lost because of exemptions some religious cults receive?  Something to ponder, huh?

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
          Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

YOU ARE ALL SINNERS AND WILL BE DESTROYED AND DIE A HORRIBLE DEADLY DEMISE WHETHER HERE OR ON SOME OTHER PLANET.  YOU CANNOT ESCAPE THE WRATH OF GOD, HE WILL SEE YOU WHEREVER YOU HIDE AND DESTROY YOU FOR HE IS EVERYWHERE.  HE WAS THE FIRST TO BREATHE METHANE AND WILL BLOW ITS FIRE INTO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU GET THERE SEEKING YOUR ESCAPE, VILE SINNERS.  HIS WRATH IS YOUR ONLY HOPE OF SALVATION.  TRUST IN HIM.  THROW DOWN YOUR LYING SCIENCE BOOKS AND YOUR TOOLS OF SATAN SPACE SHIPS AND WORSHIP HIM, LEST YE BE BURNED IN ETERNAL FIRE AND STUFF. I KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE READ MY DUSTY OLD TOME WHILE IGNORING ALL THE OTHER DUSTY OLD TOMES.  BELIEVE ME BECAUSE I SPEAK TRUTH.

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol

2. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"and stuff" no less!  Now that's scary - I hereby throw down my spaceship. lol lol

2. mikelong profile image60
          mikelongposted 13 years ago

I am glad that we Americans are living in a secular nation. Bible fundamentalists are dangerous people..

3. wyanjen profile image71
          wyanjenposted 13 years ago

kerryg -

sorry this veered away

lol lol

Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know, right?  This is such an awesome subject.  I'm totally stoked about that discovery, even though I know it's very early to get too worked up about it.

yep - completely awesome.

Things that Hubble, Kepler, Cassini and Huygens have discovered - just to name a few - are sometimes even beyond imagination. But what blows my mind even more is that we've got them up there is the first place.
              Look at all that Voyager has sent us. Spirit rover is asleep right now, but when it recharges, it will start tooling around Mars again. These missions have been in operation years beyond their expected limits.
              Peoples sure are smart.

It seems impossible that we can look at close range photographs of Saturn, doesn't it?
              I bet the astronomers who we've named our telescopes after would be beyond themselves to see this data. lol

On it's way to Saturn, Cassini all but proved Einstein's theory of relativity. Can you imagine if that dude had the internet...

Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.  They would be stoked for sure.  But, at least we had them, these giants, upon whose shoulders our modern scientists stand.  I for one absolutely love following this stuff, and the photos and the longevity of the machines is just awesome.  Frankly, I wish we'd invest ten times as much as we do now into these programs.  They have proven time and again to give us new products and technologies for life on Earth as the byproduct of the work.

2. kerryg profile image84

Haha, no problem. I find it difficult even to comprehend people who don't find stuff like this awesome, but I knew before I posted it that they exist and that some of them hang around here. wink

4. Mighty J-Kep profile image60
          Mighty J-Kepposted 13 years ago

I agree.

5. LeanMan profile image79
          LeanManposted 13 years ago

I heard a rumor that they were on the verge of discovering intelligent life on Earth... but maybe that was a fictional book..

6. Daniel J. Neumann profile image61
          Daniel J. Neumannposted 13 years ago

I think their enzymes, if they do exist, will become valuable for its ability to break down plastics and possibly convert CO2 and H20 into hydrocarbons like methane or even petrol.

I love that our lives are becoming more sci-fi every day.

7. Evan G Rogers profile image60
          Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.

I 100% certain that life exists elsewhere in the universe, and I wouldn't doubt it if we have some in our backyard

but let's keep our heads about us - all that this is is a methane cycle of some sort.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have life on another planet and study how they evolved, and finally shut those damned creationists up...

... but this is just a methane cycle of some sort! NASA definitely wants more funding (even though i'm against federal funding, NASA is one of the cooler places to put the money!!). This just isn't enough evidence..

the first paragraph is hilarious to read "there are two chemicals that are fluctuating weirdly, and it might just be the way things normally work... BUT IT MIGHT BE LIFE!! LIFE ON TITAN!! THAT'D BE COOL, EH?!!? LIFE!!! TITAN!!! NASA!!!!"

1. Daniel J. Neumann profile image61
            Daniel J. Neumannposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Haha. Mr. Rogers, you have a good point. We really shouldn't set ourselves up for a disappointment... but still... I really, really want to be alive when we figure out how abundant life is.

It'll put things into perspective, I hope. Maybe we'll even meet intelligent life someday, (from space, I mean). Wouldn't it be cool to find out not all civilizations self-destruct?

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
              Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Huh. Yer asking for too much there.

It would be really fascinating to be able to compare our progress to that of another 'highly intelligent' species capable of manipulating their environment. But then again it might also just be embarassing. Humbling for sure, I would think, but you know they (of the we) would find a way to twist it.

It would be very interesting to compare our developments, and the evolution of our ideas and ideals.

1. Daniel J. Neumann profile image61
                Daniel J. Neumannposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pandora's Box,

The way I figure it, (and I'm disagreeing with Stephen Hawking here, so I'm probably not factoring in everything), for a civilization to harness matter-diffusion (like the Roulette Drive of the Great Release) or faster-than-light travel by wormholes (or what-have-you), they had to have conquered their own militarism or else they would have committed collective suicide through nuclear war (Pandora's Box, some might argue). So, I think any civilization that meets us will not be imperialist. They'll be peaceful—though we couldn't possibly pose a threat to them.

Maybe, if they're out there, they aren't talking to us because they think we're too immature and they don't want us spreading our barbaric war to other planets. Or, maybe we could have something extremely rare here on Earth. Either way, it's pretty cool.

The first thing I’d ask E.T. would be, “Do you believe in God? If so, how do you describe Him/Her/It?” What would you ask?

Thanks,

Dan

8. profile image56
          umkeyraposted 13 years ago

what has God got to do with the original subject? Somehow people think it is acceptable to bring Him into every conversation but not everyone is interested in reading about God in every thread or topic. This is as bad as promoting your own hubs. It is not acceptable to hijack threads with discussions about God.

The original point is that there IS life on all the planets and if you open your mind enough to allow it, you will realise that not all life has to be carbon-based. It is only that we know a little about carbon-based life and we expect to find it out there. That is why we look for that kind. Life based on other elements would not need water, oxygen etc but would still be very much alive and could give us serious kicking if it wanted to - particularly if they have travelled from other solar systems.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)