Is Pangaea just another term for the Garden of Eden?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Is it possible that Pangaea was the Garden of Eden - until the second sun burned out and created the moon, and the earth began losing time due to only having one sun? 

That could be why the earth's rotation is wobbly and why the earth loses 1.4 milliseconds per day.  (I just looked it up, apparently the earths rotation used to be faster, like 6.5 hours per day rather than 24)  Think of the earth like a spinning top - the two suns kept the earth spinning at a certain speed and in balance, until the first sun burned out.  Then, the earth began to slow and wobble, which caused the atmospheric conditions to change and brought about the ice age. 

Perhaps the Mayan calendar ending at 2012 signifies a decrease in the earths rotation, or a change in the earths stability, rather than the end of the world.

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Raf:
      Problem is, there were no people on Pangea.
      It might have been a "garden of eden," but for whom/what?  smile:
      Qwark

Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How can we be  so sure?

1. qwark profile image59

Hi Raf:
          That's an easy one.
          Pangea existed about 250 million yrs ago.
          "Man" began his journey to today only about 4.5 million yrs ago.
          The dinosaurs reign ended about 65 million yrs ago.
          Sooo, there were none of around during the age of Pangea.
          OK?  smile:
          Qwark

OK.       not!  smile

I still have issues with carbon dating - but, I gotta admit, I'm taking Anthropology this semester, and may learn something about it!  lol

How can anyone say when Pangaea existed?  I mean, how can anyone be certain about all these dates and things that happened prior to recorded history?

1. qwark profile image59

Raf:
              The study of "diastrophism" and "paleogeography."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleogeography

Geological studies. Plate tektonics, studies of human genetics.
              CArbon dating is but one of a myriad ways to determine the breaking up of pangea and its parts migrating around the globe to form continents.

When you get into the study of "anthropology," you will study the movement of man over land bridges to all parts of the globe.
              But that happened many millions of yrs after Pangea had broken up and the parts drifted away.

Good luck in your studies.

Qwark

oh, guess I should have kept geology on the schedule for this semester.  lol

thanks Qwark.  smile

1. qwark profile image59

Yes Raf:
                  Don't skip over geology. It is interesting and oh so important in trying to understand "Mother Earth."
                  Qwark   smile:

2. I am DB Cooper profile image63
                I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's some good stuff right there. The study of human movements throughout history combined with the study of genetics has given us a pretty clear view of how and when people moved around the various land masses. We know that native people of North and South America came from Asia and not from Europe, for instance. We also know that the inhabitants of Easter Island originally came from south-east Asia and did not sail west from South America, as some might have previously guessed.

yeah, I remember some of what I learned throughout my schooling.  What I'm remembering right now is my intense interest where Anthropology and Geology seem to support the Bible. 

My God!  Now I'm confusing myself all over again!  sheesh!!  roll

2. qwark profile image59

Yep, yer right DB.  smile:
                  QWark

2. melpor profile image91
              melporposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rafini. It is all based on radiocarbon dating and other method of dating based on the natural decay of elemental isotopes in rocks, soil, and all living things. This how is scientists are able to determine the age of most things.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image62
                Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The best way to prove to people who "disbelieve" radio-carbon dating is to say the following:

"If you believe that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed by Atomic weaponry, then you MUST concede that radio-carbon dating is accurate".

They both rely on half-lives and the destruction of nuclei.

2. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That makes no sense, a sun does not become a moon when it burns out, so to speak. Where did you get the notion we had two suns?

No, the earths rotation is slowing due to the tidal lock with the moon. Both the earth and moon "bulge" somewhat in the middle, these bulges tend to slow the earth's rotation while the moon slowly moves away from the earth.

Thank you for asking!

It was an idea I had, that if the moon were once a sun, then a day would actually have been 28 days long rather than the 24 hour period we're currently used to. 

My son brought it up (thinking the moon was once a sun) and my mind went wild!  lol

3. profile image59
      usernameposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are many problems with this theory. First of all, the moon is too small to have ever been a star because a star is formed when the mass of a planet or moon crushes its core. The moon is not large enough to do this.

Another problem is that there could not have been life on Earth with two suns. The water on Earth would evaporate. And if there was an ice age when one of the suns went out, there would still be an ice age now.

Rafiniposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very sensible answer - Thank You!

2. goldenpath profile image66
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

Up till the days of Peleg the land mass was all one.  Eden was a designated place on it.

(what are the days of Peleg?)

1. goldenpath profile image66
        goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have brought religion into this category.  Scripture speaks of the days of Peleg when the land was divided.

Very interesting!  Can you quote book/verse please? 

Ya know, I've always thought science would eventually prove the existence of God - when I was young I intended to be someone who took part!  lol

As you know I've always contended that science and religion do coincide and will continue to build bridges.  I believe that openness must be a predominant quality on both sides in order to obtain truth and understanding.

I will offer you the passage....

2. goldenpath profile image66

Genesis 10:25
            1 Chronicles 1:19
            Doctrine and Covenants 133:24

Excellent & Interesting!!  Thank you!!

but, I don't understand the Doctrine and Covenants - I'm thinking that's religion specific?  No offense, but not what I'm interested in.

I hesitated putting that in because it is religion specific.  I just wanted to be thorough though.  Sorry if I offended.

No offense. smile

I'm surprised at my interest - I thought that left a loong time ago!!

3. melpor profile image91
    melporposted 13 years ago

Pangea was just a large landmass before it broke up into the seven continents we have today and in a few million years some of these land masses will come back together. Eden, a mythical place, never existed on this landmass because dinosaurs were roaming on it at that time more than 65 million years ago. Looking at it from a religious perspective Eden would be still here if there was such a place as describe by the Bible. The Bible doesn't mentioned God destroying it after Adam and Eve were put out of it, they just could not return to it the way I understood the story since he put an angel there with a flaming sword to guard the entrance.

As far as the earth rotation speed is concern, the earth's rotation is slowing down became of the moon's gravity. The moon's gravity has a significant pull on the earth, thus slowing down it rotation because it is one-fourth the size of earth. The earth's axis is also stabilized by the revolution of the moon around it. If the moon wasn't there the earth's axis would be very unstable and will be pointing horizontally  and as well vertically in an unpredictable manner. As a result we will not have seasons as we now know it.

I understand the story of Adam & Eve, and the angel guard with a flaming sword.  But, my suggestion is, that the story of the angel with the flaming sword is metaphorical. big_smile  Allegorical?  big_smile  Well. let's just say, not actually factual. smile  Just because the story doesn't mention God destroying the Garden of Eden doesn't mean it still exists.  (my reasoning in thinking Pangaea might have been Eden)

1. melpor profile image91
        melporposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is my point. Eden was a mythical place. Pangea was an actual landmass on earth about 250 million years ago.

4. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

My understanding is actually that Pangaea was pretty much hell. Think about how unpleasant continental climates on modern Earth are for about 9 months of the year, and imagine that on a single massive landmass. Some scientists actually believe that central Pangaea might have had such extreme temperatures in summer and winter that it may have been virtually uninhabitable.

5. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

I put this in my favorites quite a while ago.
    Check it out: (Especially you Raf.)
    http://www.historyoftheuniverse.com/tl1.html
    Qwark

That's cool!  Thanks Qwark. smile

Ozone respiration - does that mean the ozone (technically, in some way) breathes?  I haven't heart that before.

If fire came before people, then man didn't create fire. hmm  Which reinforces the idea of man having seen fire (created by hot lava or whatever, or by lightning strikes) and working hard to recreate it.

1. qwark profile image59

Hi RAf:
        Respiration just means an exchange of gasses i.e. like between plants and the atmosphere.
        I'm glad ya like that site.
        It's a wonderful synopsis of "time" and great for "trivia" reference.
        Qwark   smile:

6. Evan G Rogers profile image62
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

NO. the Garden of Eden can NOT be the same thing as Pangaea.

Pangaea: 250 million years old.

Garden of Eden (according to religious nuts): at most 6,000 years old.

The difference is 41666% the claim made by people who believe in the Garden of Eden.

There's just no way they could be the same thing.

(By the way, if you believe that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed by atomic weaponry, you must agree that Pangaea is actually 250 million years old.)

1. canadawest99 profile image61
      canadawest99posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rafini, seriously, you have got to get yourself into a school or library immediately.    You are dangerously misinformed about, well, everything.

lol  Not misinformed, just searching!

2. Rafini profile image82

if you believe that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed by atomic weaponry, you must agree that Pangaea is actually 250 million years old.

Sorry, but I don't see the correlation.

7. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

To be honest these kinds of discussions belong in the religion forum.

big_smile  I was totally unsure where to place them because they seemed to be a complete mix of knowledge, science, philosophy, and religion.

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

To suggest there were modern humans on Pangaea you would have to have more than a "problem with carbon dating".  You'd have to have a problem with pretty much all of biology and geology.  The latter being where we learn that Pangaea exists at all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)