The human species is nothing special.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (32 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Agree or disagree? smile

1. superwags profile image66
      superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Disagree; though it rather depends on your perspective I suppose! In terms of us just being another species, true, but in lots of other ways we've excelled. We're the only ones to make it off the planet, for instance.

Ever wondered about what makes the human species stand out above all others? I went to lecture recently where the guy argued that it down to our ability to trade in ideas. Very convincing.

paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We “rule” this planet (we think). What about on a wider scale? smile

On a wider scale we have absolutely no idea. My guess would be that we're not the most "advanced" species in the universe; the odds are probably against it.

One of the slightly worrying things, if there are other advanced species in the universe is that we've never picked up on their existence. Perhaps these species are wiping themselves out too quickly for us to detact them via SETI etc.

Yes.

There are probably many scenarios where intelligent species have self-exterminated; so far, so good, with us…

and,

We may be quarantined, aka the prime directive sort of thing (or maybe something worse). 10X our current tech could easily accomplish blocking our search/sensor capabilities.

It could be that our nearest planet - I love the term "Goldilocks" planet - that can sustain life as complex as ours is just too far away for of us to have noticed it yet - their radiowave activity might not have been around long enough or of course they may never have invented the same technology as us. Most advanced technologies' inventions have been fairly serendipidous. 

There seems to be increasing evidence for life on Mars, all be it not at all complex (evidence of Methae probably suggests cynobacteria?). This probably suggests that it's very easy for life to get started ad makes the chances of there being complex life out there goes through the roof. 

In terms of the initial question; I think humans are remarkable from our perspective, but then we would think that, wouldn't we?!

2. pylos26 profile image69
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

define 'special'.

Absolutely, excellent question.

As to us, not supreme.

1. pylos26 profile image69
          pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

3. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In Koran, Humans, are described as the "Ashraf ul Makhlooqat" ... Meaning, the "Epitome of Creation" ...

Thus, if you Believe in God, you will agree with The Word of God ... and, see, why, Man hath been called the Epitome of Creation ...

You see Dolphins have a larger than Human Brain, in body to brain mass ratio ... and the Chimp, almost has 99% Genes the Humans have ...

Some birds can walk, a few land animals can swim, but our Darwinian cousin, the chimp, can neither walk, nor fly ... whereas humans, not only walk, and swim ... they have harnessed metal, and can fly ... man can go to the moon, and come back alive ... while our immediate cousins, at their very best, [as a pet] can mimic a few of our actions !

But ... if you do not Believe in a Creator ... meaning, you believe in Science, and follow it as a religion, then of course there is nothing special about a Self Evolved Species ... called Home Sapiens ...

In Science ... Man is at par with millions of other Organic Species ... and the only distinction being that they are distinct from the Inorganic Forms.

4. Sneha Sunny profile image84
      Sneha Sunnyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Disagree.........
      'm not underestimating any species but its a fact... Its just a work of nature...........i can't say why only humans.......
      Human beings are the most advanced species of this world. We have got some best abilities. one of the best feature is that we can talk. The other very important feature is that we walk on two limbs and have two limbs free to perform work and we have utilized our two free limbs very well..  we are  capable to perform our work more easily. I don't know why among all the monkey species only one species got converted into humans but at present, scientifically, humans are advanced. We have used our intelligence to create our own world. we have developed equipments, treatment, and everything possible to make our life easier. We can easily get treatment when we need it... whereas in wild if anything happens to your health, you are dead.
      However we do misuse our own creations......
      But every species is special........ with some special features...
      Love animals....!!!!!!

1. Shahid Bukhari profile image60

Sneha Sunny

I do not intend getting involved in a Semantics based dialogue ... please continue to believe, as pleases your ego ...

5. profile image0
      David99999posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would tend to agree.  We seem to have an over-inflated view of our importance to this planet, and, to the universe.  We are - possibly a bit too late - discovering that we need the rest of nature.  Without bees and trees, the human race is on its knees.  We need other forms of life to, ourselves survive.

So...no...the human species is, alas, nothing special.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 13 years ago

Disagree...

We are absolutely the best human species there is. The Best is always something special.

lol

3. Pandoras Box profile image59
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Special as compared to what/whom?

Humans are special to humans. My guess is that the rest of earth's life forms are more skeptical about it.

lol

4. profile image0
    Neville Walkposted 13 years ago

We are unique among the animals, because evolution has allowed us to create so much, bringing us out of the natural environment and into one totally of our own invention.  Our lives are now so artificial and far removed from our natural habitat.  Yet, instinctively, we are still animals and civilisation is only a thin veneer, that can be quickly removed, as is in time of war or revolution.

Universe perspective encouraged here... smile

5. paradigmsearch profile image60

I consider it a major accomplishment of our species that we are no longer so egocentric in our perception of the universe.

1. kerryg profile image82
      kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it's gotten a lot harder to regard ourselves as the Chosen Ones since we started discovering other planets, and especially since we started discovering other terrestrial planets.

Really, it's been getting progressively harder since Copernicus pointed out that the Sun does not revolve around the Earth. First that, then we discover that there have been entire dynasties of other creatures that have "ruled" the planet before us (and for tens of millions of years compared to our piddling little 100,000), then we discover we're basically nothing but glorified apes...

It's only a matter of time before we discover we're not alone in the universe after all and then where will all our talk of human exceptionalism be?

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

Would anyone like to discuss the above statement?

1. Pandoras Box profile image59
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes. In a half-formed sort of way. I'm coming from the cuff here, so excuse what will no doubt end up being my poor choice of words.

We haven't just physically evolved, we have socially, mentally and emotionally evolved in a way that may not have occurred for unknown random alien species.

They may show up in a really teched out space-ship, and be like really cool with the ability to fly and read minds and crap. They may be hugely advanced over us in many ways.

But they may not have learned the lessons we have.

I guess we won't know till they show up.

I'm down on humans alot, I know that, but in fact I really do think people are awesome. I wish we'd progress more quickly, but I'm also really impressed with what we have accomplished.

7. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

A has been pointed out, we are the only ones to leave the planet.  At the same time, we have not been here long enough to prove we can survive any length of time.

On the contrary we may well be the only species to ever voluntarily and intentionally kill ourselves off (along with most of the other species as well).

That's depressing.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's because the human race is depressing.  It is also exhilarating, beautiful and exciting, all rolled into one.

A really confused and confusing bunch, we are. big_smile

Totally! You must have been reading my mind as I was typing, lol.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not one of my talents.  I'm just not special enough...

1. Shahid Bukhari profile image60

You are ... maybe not, to the IQ Tabulators ... or the Millionaires, and Schwarzeneggers ... but Trust my word ... You are  ... !

2. kerryg profile image82
      kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"At the same time, we have not been here long enough to prove we can survive any length of time."

I was thinking about that earlier today while working on the polar bear hub I just finished. I hadn't known that polar bears as a species are only 150,000 years old. Right now there's an above-average chance they've over-specialized and will be extinct - or nearly so - within 100 years. That would make them pretty short-lived as species go, but humans are even younger and with the way things are going right now, I'm honestly not that optimistic that we'll still be around in 1,000 years. We're adaptable, so that's one mark in our favor, but unlike most lower lifeforms, we haven't ever managed to learn not to soil our own nest. tongue

8. paradigmsearch profile image60

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/3980593_f520.jpg
    Second time he’s been by this month. I wonder what he wants…

9. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

We are special in our ability to outsmart our own stupidity and to make Hell sound like a warm and welcoming place; no animal has ever managed to do that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)