jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Exactly what is it about movie stars that we so admire?

1. Windclimber profile image81
    Windclimberposted 6 years ago

Exactly what is it about movie stars that we so admire?

It's not just good looks, because there are models that are prettier or more handsome.  I understand singers and athletes because when we sing in the shower or play sports in the backyard we can relate to the huge talent and skill required to be anything more than average.  But why actors and actresses?  Isn't there main talent just pretending to be someone imaginary, or imitating real people who have actually done something?  Their skill is observing nuances of other people and controlling their voice and facial expressions . . . why do we as a society place such reverence on them?

2. Pollyannalana profile image87
    Pollyannalanaposted 6 years ago

Well it is a magnetism which is what makes them stars! They entertain us and take us from who we are to a place we most will or can never be. Some are influenced more than others but we know many copy styles of stars and do all they can to be just like them. I think today it is really more pronounced than ever before. Who can really explain the human brain?

3. profile image0
    kate-olsonposted 6 years ago

They're bigger-than-life, and beautiful. Models are actually normally not as pretty--they only appear to be because they are always extremely edited with photoshop.

I don't think we revere or admire them so much, it's just that we're obsessed with them! They have a glamourous, rich, lifestyle and the kind of attention that we envy. I also think that when we spend so much time watching people, especially in films or shows we really enjoyed, we feel we know them on some level, and want to get to know them more.

4. capricornrising profile image60
    capricornrisingposted 6 years ago

They're placed into the front-and-center of our consciousness all the time. They live onscreen lives we often use as an escape from our own. We imagine that they are like their screen and red-carpet personas: enigmatic, charismatic, adventurous, articulate, worldly, well-adjusted, magnanimous, fascinating. The big blow comes when, if we ever actually meet and talk to these people, we realize that what we see of their public and onscreen lives are one big illusion - part of the job - and that in truth we all probably know people in our real lives who are ten times more interesting and worthy of our reverence.

We're partly to blame if we willingly continue to be complicit in the illusion, of course. Sometimes we enjoy our own participation in it.

(I'm not really knocking my own industry, by the way, just poking fun at the sway it seems to have over the population!)

5. mcgreg28 profile image60
    mcgreg28posted 6 years ago

Their messed up lives. It's nice to know that there are crazier people out there than myself lol

working