jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What makes a commercial catch your attention and does it make you more inclined

1. KCC Big Country profile image89
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

What makes a commercial catch your attention and does it make you more inclined to buy the product?

What makes a radio or TV commercial (advertisement) catchy and does it make you more inclined to buy the product or service?  Does having a well-known celebrity help?  Does a catchy jingle help?

2. Luti Febrian W profile image40
    Luti Febrian Wposted 6 years ago

more natural more better
    but it doesnt make me desire to buy it

3. Hui (蕙) profile image81
    Hui (蕙)posted 6 years ago

Personal need at first, and then it is the commercial itself, creative, dynamic or not, but the important thing is the product and the brand. After all, the credit of the business is important to consumers. Sometimes, I have impulsion to buy a dress.

4. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

Whether we want to believe it or not - we are ALL influenced by advertising in some means or fashion, which is exactly why so many companies spend BIG money when it comes to catchy and memorable slogans, logos, commercials etc. 

My graphic art teacher once told us - half jokingly and half very serious, that as graphic designers we should learn to develop a code of ethics and stick with them, because it is people in our profession that shape the world.  We influence people's decisions on everything from what they wear to what they eat and then wash those clothes/plates with wink

I know as a graphic communications major I learned to pinpoint the more subtle ways advertisements lure you in - the stuff you don't think of from the use of a particular font to certain color schemes, photo angles, page/screen placement etc.  This is all in addition to the plays on your emotions and appeals to your needs and desires!

Celebrities and jingles are the obvious ones - it's the subtleties that will get ya! wink Learning graphic comm has helped me to truly understand just how much sway media/advertisers have over people and it was kind of frightening - interesting though! smile

5. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

The music, if I like it, tends to attract my attention more than anything. I would have said when a lot younger it might have moved me to buy the product or service, but I'm far too cynical now to be moved by those games. As to celebrities. If I'm honest they make me less inclined to buy. I always think when I see a celebrity's smiling mug on the tv advertising, I always think - 'how many thousands of £'s/$'s are they getting paid to try and flog this crap to us?' 'And how much is it adding to the price of the product?' It really puts me off.

6. moonfairy profile image82
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

I like a commercial that makes me laugh out loud....and no, it doesn't make me more inclined to buy the product but I'll remember the product because of the way I reacted to the commercial. I also like commercials that show kindness...like  liberty mutual and the humaine society. they touch my heart.

7. Blond Logic profile image96
    Blond Logicposted 6 years ago

This is an interesting question because they say, there is no such thing as bad publicity. I disagree with that. If I don't like a celebrity or a jingle, I will boycott the product or store.  I like to think that I am not swayed by ads but deep down in the sub conscious I think we all are.
    It bothers me to see celebrities endorse a product or a candidate in a political campaign. Who thinks that if it is good enough for them, it must be good enough for me?

8. rlaha profile image69
    rlahaposted 6 years ago

I think having a catchy jingle and the product itself will incline me to go out and check on that product. I would research it in full before buying it.  Good question!