Do you listen to music?,or just hear the words?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (53 posts)
  1. lizy625 profile image60
    lizy625posted 14 years ago

Everyday I start out with a "cd djour", the problem being-I have too many cd"s! When I am asked what my favorite song is-I have to say ALL of them!-Does anyone else have this problem? Have you settled on just one song, or genre? Do you listen to the music, or do you hear the words?

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no i'm all over the map, depending on my mood or what is going on in my life at the moment. when i am all reflective and introspective i go for the lyrics.

sometimes you just want to listen to music (voice and instruments) that can only be described as EXQUISITE.

Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman Time to Say Goodbye

2. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do both..I listen to the music..I pick out each instrument to hear, and I listen and absorb the words

2. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I have an Ipod that I put on shuffle every day. I don't have one particular favorite song, there are way too many! It depends on what kind of mood I'm in what music I'm listening to and whether the lyrics are important or the  beat is more important.

3. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

I feel the same way.  I listen to everything from 60's surf to Static-X.  It all depends on what mood I'm in.  The only thing I am of my favorite song is not country....

1. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you on that.

4. Colebabie profile image60

I love country, that's in the mix too smile

5. R.Edwards profile image64
    R.Edwardsposted 14 years ago

Not to sound shovenistick, but I've found that most women are absorbed by the beats and half the time don't even know what the song is about.

It irritates me because I listen to a lot of socially concious music, and most women want the 'pop' beats that basically talk about the same junk plauging the airwaves.

So yeaaa, if it has no message...something with some substance for a change (depending on the mood), it gets trashed!

1. archdaw profile image59
      archdawposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, you already sound shovenistick!

I like to listen to the rythm first.  If the rythm moves me then I listen to the words. If the words are not making sense then I go for the musical track of that version of music.

1. R.Edwards profile image64
        R.Edwardsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yea I only said that for effect, not an ounce of shovenism in my body, but I damn sure have a ton of women friends...and no, not on those lines. But we all are huge musical advocates in one shape or another. It's just something I've noticed from the majority of women I've met and became friends with. They always turn off the really deep substance filled tracks in favor for the more 'entertaining,' or whatever's 'hot' at the time....not all of them, but definately most of the ones I know.

6. profile image0

I'm not sure what "socially concious music" is, but I'm pretty sure I don't have any of that...

...probably not, but you'd be surprised.

Burning Spear-Jah a guh raid
      Bob Marley-WAR
      Eak a Mouse-Noah's Ark
      ...almost anything from Common, Talib Kweli and Mos Def
      Culture-Iron sharpens Iron
      ....."rebel musik," an espace from the temporary, or "herb tunes" if you're a 420 child.

Anything that doesn't sound like T-Pain or lady ga-ga (if that's her name).

7. Wonder_Woman profile image59
    Wonder_Womanposted 14 years ago

I always loves listening to poetic lyrics from artists but rythm of course counts too.

the music i listen to differs on mood i am in.
    sometimes i can jam to metallica all day, or queen, guns n roses, styx, killers, maybe even some my chemical romance,

other days i want to hear some soul by
    billy holiday, adel,etta james. amy winehouse, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings

or just older music by luis armstrong, nap king cole, paggy lee, etc

1. profile image0
      bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you on that one.  Somedays I'm into G Love, other days I'm looking for some Mazzy Star and other days I'm into Zombie or Rage Against the Machine....Wait! I think that is "socially concious music"!  I knew I had some of that!

...see?

I gotta admit, some Lynard Skinner and Bob Marley 'mellow musik' puts me in that zone.

Korn, Evenessance and Linkin Park can definately fit that category too.

Who is Paggy Lee though? Not sure if I've heard of her?

Carol King era?

1. Wonder_Woman profile image59
          Wonder_Womanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course korn, linkin park, and evenescence are amazing too. I love amy lee!

Peggy lee: jazz singer, actress, songwriter, composer, grammy winner, entertainer of thay dominated 50's era... i beleive

2. Wonder_Woman profile image59

LOL I cant see you listening to g love

1. profile image0

Hey, My babys got sauce!

check outS haron Jones & the Dap Kings - 100 days 100 nights - such a funky song love it

1. profile image0

You got it!

Let me know what you think big_smile

1. profile image0

I'm checking it out right now, it's pretty slick..

Makes ya want to shake your tail feather lol. for soemthing extremely smooth, i also like this chick named: priscilla ahn -  dream. lol but maybe too peaceful for your taste

2. R.Edwards profile image64

'nap' king cole...that's funny, LOL.

Def Billie Holliday, Etta and that Whinehouse is sick! Love that woman.

A lot of Big Band era classics as well...pure vintage sometimes. 

Is it true she pulled out her own teeth or something?

lol sorry nat! lmao

3. lizy625 profile image60
      lizy625posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i have to agree with you! I tend to let my emotions be the dj!

8. profile image0
    elliot.dunnposted 14 years ago

i rarely find music that mixes lyrical depth with musical excellence. my favorite band for years was Phish - a line to show you their lyrical depth "your hands and feet are mangoes, you're going to be a genius anyway".  but they can play their instruments better than anyone.

of course i grew up on CSN and Jackson Browne and Dan Fogelberg and they all got it going on.  it's usually a rare mix to find an artist that actually has something good to say and can actually create good music.

9. profile image0

Who's down for some Buck Owens or A little Buck Satan and the 666 Shooters

Interesting list....I'm youtubing and baking it up right now so I'll search those names.

Closest artists I can think of are Slipknot and Korn...your avy looks a little like one of them!

I'm definately into 'smash the t.v.' muzik!!!

10. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

I sit at my PC most of the day, with Media Player randomly serving me music from a large and varied musical collection.
    Could be Jazz (Pat Metheny, Jan Gabarek), Classical, Rock, Opera, World, Folk, Pop, New-Age, hip-hop occasionally.
    Never listen to the words, as mostly there aren't any.

11. R.Edwards profile image64
    R.Edwardsposted 14 years ago

Listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Tuesday's Gone,' aaahhhh, breathe it in!

12. visitmaniac profile image59
    visitmaniacposted 14 years ago

I tend to pretty much listen to anything that sounds good. Most of the times when I first hear a song I hardly listen to any of the words and often time just enjoy a good beat or something that sounds good to my ears. But yeah my fav. song always changes but I always love listening to Creed lol

13. hoodieweather profile image61
    hoodieweatherposted 14 years ago

Bring it back old school.

Listen to Mayer Hawthorne.

14. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I quit listening someone was very critical about my music and I listened for pleasure so it just wasn't worth it. So threw my schuffle in a drawer and packed up records and cds. I do miss it sometimes but I'm usually too busy anyway.

yea that's pretty deep man. You're a strong individual to listen to the loud sound of silence on a daily basis...certainly would drive me crazy!

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I spend alot of time on the phone and I listen to the news. I miss it sometimes when I hear a good song in a store.

15. Colebabie profile image60

How do you live without music!?!?!

I couldn't imagine. Its a part of my life every day.

1. profile image0

All things pass.

1. Colebabie profile image60
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's not true, and especially not music. Not for me smile

16. Colebabie profile image60

So why did you stop?

I couldn't stop even if I wanted to (even though I never never would) smile.

1. profile image0

I loved Heavy Metal and it's just not appropriate when you're my age. Some people felt it was important to tell me to tone it down and it happened more than once so I said screw it and quit.

1. Colebabie profile image60
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who says its not appropriate? Its appropriate to do what makes you happy. My dad is 47 and goes to concerts with me, but no one we know would have a problem with that. Why do you care so much what other people think? Tell them to screw it and mind their own business.

preach sister!!!

Don't let that be the determining factor in throwing away one of your passions (if it was that for you). If it makes you happy turn that shyt up! Skrew it, buy some headphones or something and tell people you're listening to CNN or something. Just try not to nod back and forth too hard, it's a little obvious!!! lol.

17. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I always hear the music first and mostly. I guess being a piano player is the reason for that. Like someone else mentioned, there are songs that have just the music soundtrack to them that I will listen to at times. This can be very soothing and relaxing.

18. Sanctus Vesania profile image61
    Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years ago

I do both.  Anyway I've also decided that heavy metal can have some of the most intelligent lyrics, but it can also have some of the stupidest lyrics of all time as well.

I have my mp3 player on, I listen to music all the time, but I could never tell you what my favorite song is.

19. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

99% Music, words mean nothing most of time to me. That's why i prefer trance.

20. Sanctus Vesania profile image61
    Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years ago

Sometimes the vocals prove to be an instrument in and of themselves.  The best example I can think of is Pan.Thy.Monium's  "Dawn of Dreams".  Seven songs; all "Untitled", and the guy just sings meaningless gibberish.

But it's one of the best records I've ever listened to.

21. jayjay40 profile image70
    jayjay40posted 14 years ago

I have so many songs and music I love, however i don't follow a band or singer, I like a bit of everything. I listen to the music and make up my own words-I get told off for doing this by my children-LOL

22. NewYorker profile image60
    NewYorkerposted 14 years ago

I usually need to listen to the song over 10 times to hear the words.. So I listen to the music, I guess.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)