jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Why are reality shows so addicting?

1. BSloan profile image74
    BSloanposted 5 years ago

Why are reality shows so addicting?

Why are there so many reality shows and why are they so addicting to so many people?

2. fastfreta profile image81
    fastfretaposted 5 years ago

These shows appears to give us a glimpse into the private lives of the players. I think we secretly want to know what goes on behind close doors of our friends and neighbors, and these shows appear to give us that satisfaction.

3. Lauryallan profile image80
    Lauryallanposted 5 years ago

I think there are so many reality shows because they tend to be cheaper to produce. There are usually no special effects etc like you'd see in a sci-fi series etc. Most of the people are ordinary folks and sometimes aren't paid (eg Big Brother).
    Also people want to see what stupid things people get up to behind suppposedly closed doors. People react differently when they are behind closed doors. Sometimes that's the only time you'll see their true colors or how they really feel  and behave. Sometimes this can be surprising, startling or shocking.

1. Rod Marsden profile image76
      Rod Marsdenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I will go along with the notion of cheaper to produce because this is true. I hate the fact that these cruddy shows are taking air time away from sci-fi shows and fantasy programs because the networks don't want to spend the money on quality.

4. Rod Marsden profile image76
    Rod Marsdenposted 5 years ago

I don't know. To me they are poison at best and slow acting poison at worse. (After all who wants to suffer?) Big brother is currently not doing well in the ratings and I am glad.

I suppose the answer to the question is that clever people and thus clever programs and programing can make some people feel inferior. Of course mediocre to inferior television can make the same viewer feel superior.

5. T4an profile image79
    T4anposted 5 years ago

Reality shows are mindless entertainment. I admit that I watch them but I can't really tell you why.  Maybe the people that they mostly cast make us feel better about ourselves.  Have you seen the latest cast of He'll 's Kitchen??

6. Cristale profile image86
    Cristaleposted 5 years ago

Because they make people forget about their own problems. They travel, fight, and people love drama.

1. Rod Marsden profile image76
      Rod Marsdenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good sci-fi, fantasy and even the western do a much better job of getting people to forget their problems. Travel? Show me a good documentary.

7. nylarej profile image60
    nylarejposted 5 years ago

I believe since it is a reality show, we can relate to it and their actions are not entirely scripted. So we are fond of what could be the participants' actions and reactions of things inside or in the show.

working