jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Are cartoons getting worse as time goes by?

1. thranax profile image52
    thranaxposted 5 years ago

Are cartoons getting worse as time goes by?

I remember when I was a kid cartoons often had a lesson or a meaning hidden in them and in the end it physiologically taught kids how to act right or how to understand different situations. Nowadays shows contain a lot of randomness and stupidity and some don't even really have a plot never mind teach a good lesson. So have we stopped creating good quality cartoons that everyone would like with good values for random trash that just keeps kids occupied?

2. Thief12 profile image91
    Thief12posted 5 years ago

I don't think so. If anything, I think there are more options for children. I've seen lots of cool and educational cartoons on Discovery Kids and Disney Channel, and I'm not even counting the more mainstream ones on Cartoon Network.

Another thing is the nostalgia factor. We remember our childhood and the cartoons we saw then with a certain fondness, which is not present when we "judge" something now as an adult.

To get a truthful answer, you should ask a kid. If you see a reaction somewhat similar to how you felt in your childhood, then you have your answer.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

It really is just a generational gap. I remember several thoughtful cartoons from my childhood and then there was Ren and Stimpy, which doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities. One of the shows I watched with my nephew, around the time I was a teenager, was Avatar: The Last Airbender, which was considerably more detailed and thought provoking than anything I watched as a child. I do think that some of today's cartoons seem more random than those of the past, but I think it's me who is changing, not the cartoons.

4. profile image0
    rmcmillenposted 5 years ago

Actually, as I remember it was pretty much the exact opposite of all that..... mind you I am only thinking of the cartoons that exist within the last ten years (most of which are so saturated in lessons and teaching that they would probably be shown only on PBS or even in classrooms on special "treat days" at an elementary school, and then I am comparing them to the cartoons I grew up with.

Gummibear Adventures? Transformers? G.I. Joe? Garbage Pail Kids? Garfield and Friends? Hulk Hogan's Rock n' Wrestlin? Ren and Stimpy? Animaniacs? Tiny Toons?

All cartoons I grew up with, and none of which I learned bupkis from as a kid...... mostly they were simple and beautifully mindless cartoons as I remember them.... little more than that..... a far cry from the "teachy" cartoons of today.

Sid The Science Kid? Cat In The Hat Knows A lot About that? The Doodlebops? The Wiggles? Ok, the last two are bad examples as they are not cartoons, but the point is still true....... the list goes on and on when it comes to cartoons today that would probably bored me to death with their ways and it is because of this that I feel bad for my little one's childhood.... they will never know Saturday Mornings as I did.

1. Thief12 profile image91
      Thief12posted 5 years agoin reply to this

But a lot of those 80's cartoons like G.I. Joe, or MASK, He-man, and I think even Transformers, had those PSA for children tacked on at the end.

2. profile image0
      rmcmillenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thief12...... very rarely did they have those and even when they did, you barely remembered them 5, 10, 15 minutes later.... today? Any given cartoon is just a 30 minute PSA..... its just horrible... I weep for the childhood of kids today.

3. Lor's Stories profile image61
      Lor's Storiesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Boy I am old.
      I like tiny toons though.

5. Lor's Stories profile image61
    Lor's Storiesposted 5 years ago

Well if you are talking about Sponge bob, yes.
    I grew up watching Scooby doo and Dudley Do Right.
    Yes there was some bad guys but the good guys won.
    Tweety never got eaten.
    Yogi stayed in Jelly Stone Park
    Popeye always got Olive
    Speed racer always won.

They were entertaining. Josie sang in a band.
    I don't watch Cartoons now. But I will watch Charlie Brown.
    And Rocky and Bullwinkle.
    They were fun.
    I really dislike Sponge Bob. Try hearing that all day with 2 kids.
    Yikes.

working