jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do we need DVDs and CDs anymore?

1. crankalicious profile image93
    crankaliciousposted 4 years ago

Do we need DVDs and CDs anymore?

I just moved and having to move hundreds and hundreds of books, cds, and dvds made me re-evaluate whether I need them or not. Do you think we need to keep these things around?

2. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

Personally I still prefer them. They're easier to loan to friends and they provide a convenient backup in case your digital copy gets lost or uninstalled. But you're right about them taking up too much space. My apartment has been overrun by books and it really made me re-think the importance of ebooks.

3. profile image72
    gsurvivorposted 4 years ago

Having a physical copy of your personal favorites will always have that special charm, whether it's music or movies we're talking about, so I'd definitely say yes.

4. Georgie Lowery profile image95
    Georgie Loweryposted 4 years ago

I no longer own and CDs, but I have a ton of DVDs. I primarily listen to music that I download through XBox music, so I have no real need for physical copies.

5. profile image0
    Ben Blackwellposted 4 years ago

They are working on a new kind of DVD that will hold up to 1,000 TB, so it looks like they aren't quite obsolete yet.

6. Man of Strength profile image77
    Man of Strengthposted 4 years ago

I'd say yes and no. We don't need them anymore for just the sake of watching a movie or listening to music. I still buy them, for collection purposes. When I listen to music, I love the cover in my hands, as I read the lyrics or look at the artwork. I guess I'm old school in the sense that I like to make the physical purchase, though I will buy them used off Amazon or Ebay.

7. myefforts profile image82
    myeffortsposted 4 years ago

As the technology is progressing, these things are becoming 'a thing of the past' now. I hardly remember when did I last use the DVD for a movie. The only use remained these days is to have Operating System installed through CDs or DVDs. This is also changing now. The whole storage is moving to cloud now.
    Books are rather a different option. You can read them anytime, anywhere you like. No software or machine is needed to read them. So I guess you can do away with CDs or DVDs but not the books.

8. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

I still love CD's. Everybody needs a "thing" to collect, and they're my "thing."

...so hey, if anybody has any hard rock/heavy metal/punk rock CDs that they're looking to get rid of, feel free to send them my way... I'll give them a loving home. smile

working