jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Why do people tend to blame victims for their own sexual assualts?

1. KrystalD profile image81
    KrystalDposted 2 years ago

Why do people tend to blame victims for their own sexual assualts?

Rape shaming is a real thing and the case involving Bill Cosby has shown this ugly fact loud and clear. What are your thoughts about this?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12515711_f260.jpg

2. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

it is a shameful act for an actor but I think he has problems with his wife. Otherwise, he won't lurk at other women

1. ChristinS profile image95
      ChristinSposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Problems with one's wife are not an excuse to be a rapist.

3. thranax profile image52
    thranaxposted 2 years ago

I enjoyed watching Bill Cosby and wish to forget the crimes he committed. I think people blame victims of crimes mostly as a sexual bias. Girls like looking hot and attractive and when hormones get kicking laws and human society crumbles.

4. profile image61
    peter565posted 2 years ago

I don't think people usually blame the victim, but if the victim is been blamed, my guess is that she is a person whom for long time demonstrate behavior, that attract predators or easily mislead people she is giving them a sexual invite.

1. ChristinS profile image95
      ChristinSposted 2 years agoin reply to this

?? So women who dress in a "provocative" manner are asking for it?  No, how a woman dresses is not an "invitation" and is not consent.

5. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

I have not heard anyone "blame" any of the women involved with the Cosby allegations. There are those that hold onto the "innocent until proven guilty" mindset which many people find offensive for various reasons.
    However I would say that's a long way from blaming the victim!
    Is there anyone you know of who is blaming these women? or Is it a case of some people don't believe them that is being called "blame".
    In other instances it has become not politically correct to mention things that could have (possibly removed the target) off victims by being smarter. If I for instance downside to walk the streets of the South side of Chicago at midnight counting my money and get robbed, leave my car running with the keys in the ignition, sleep with the front door of my home wide open, or cross the street without looking both ways, accepting rides from strangers... none of these acts mean I deserve to be attacked/ taken advantage of.
    However if someone mentions ways I may have been able to reduce my odds of being attacked are they really "blaming me"?
    Admitting one has an obligation to look out for #1 is not blaming the victim. It's reiterating some commonsense measures.

1. KrystalD profile image81
      KrystalDposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree about personal responsibility. I have read comments criticizing the women involved in this case. These have been on social media but not direct articles. You make a great point about blame versus not believing. Maybe I have misinterpreted.

2. Amanda108 profile image93
      Amanda108posted 2 years agoin reply to this

You covered the points that I was going to mention: generally it's disbelief, not blame; also some people interpret acknowledgement of personal responsibility as blame, sadly. Nicely put! :-)

3. KrystalD profile image81
      KrystalDposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think people can stay victims in their own minds because they never acknowledge their own part in the process of them being hurt.
      I was raped at 14 years old. I still have trouble deciphering between blame and owning ones own lose of power.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

KrystalD, Sorry to hear about your experience.
      Oftentimes when things happen to us when we're young we're not wise enough to recognize potential danger signs.
      We're much more trusting of people and situations.
      It was not your fought.

working