Who could win in a fight? Superman or a Jedi Knight?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (60 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Okay, here's a fun question that a coworker and I had a few years ago.  Who could win in a fight if in theory these characters existed in the same universe?  A Jedi Knight from Star Wars or Superman?  Who do you pick would win in a fight and why?

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Superman!  He's got real super powers, Jedi Knights have nothing more than fancy flashlights and a bag of mind tricks.

2. profile image0
    Muldanianmanposted 12 years ago

I don't think anyone who wears their underpants on the outside would win such a fight.

Please, the guy is faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, he can wear his underpants anyway he wants, or not at all would be fine with me too.

3. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

Depends on which planet they are fighting on. Wasn't Superman's strength due to our yellow sun?

Yes, manly, you are correct, about the yellow sun.  Kryptonians, whose native star Rao had been red, only possess superpowers under the light of a yellow sun.  However, the source of Superman's powers originally came from his Kryptonian heritage, which made him more evolved than humans.

4. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

superman in about 5 seconds. he would bewilder the jedi night with his quickness and mental toughness plus he would laugh at the light saber as it bounces off him.

5. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Definitely the Jedi.  All he has to do is wait for Superman to enter the phone booth to change clothes and mind-lift it off of him.  Superman will then collapse from embarrassment and confusion as he tries to pull on his outside underpants while outside instead of inside.

6. Matt in Jax profile image60
    Matt in Jaxposted 12 years ago

Gotta go with Superman for his natural powers and abilities.

7. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

...neither - Batman...nahnahnahnah Batman!

1. Matt in Jax profile image60
      Matt in Jaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lol. Batman didn't even really have powers. Just money and gadgets.

8. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

I think it would be a no brainer here, as I think Superman would clearly have the advantage here.  Plus if we're going off the Christopher Reeves' version, then Superman can breath in space, so if he was really a jerk, he could just throw a bunch of freaking meteors at whatever planet the Jedi inhabit and kill them.

9. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Is there cryptonite in a light saber? No one has ever said what they're made of.  That would make a difference.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, but you have to be up close to use it. Whereas Superman, his powers allow him to not only be affective up close, but he can attack easily from a distance whether it be laser eyes or cold breath, he can be lethal either way.

1. mrpopo profile image72
        mrpopoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jedi can deflect those lasers, can't they? And they might be able to evade his cold breath by jumping around or something.

Yeah, with a Kryptonite in a light saber, the Jedi might have a chance.

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You forget the force is with the Jedi. Mr. popo is right. Even if they weren't agile enough to evade the lasers or breath; they could probably bend the incoming attack with the wave of a hand,  or hover a boulder over to block it; if the force was with them.

1. profile image0

Yes, but superman can move faster than the speed of light; which in theory allows him to travel through time ala the flash.  he can just as easily stop the jedi from ever finishing their training, and they'd be no more.

1. profile image0

I don't know. I saw him turn time back a little while.  Not years, but I don't read the comic books..I'll have to take your word on this power. I guess Superman wins.

2. mrpopo profile image72
            mrpopoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well in that case, the Jedi that existed prior to Superman would foresee a "disturbance in the Force" and kill him before he ever had a chance to develop his powers. Or, befriend him and train the greatest, most powerful Jedi ever to have lived.

Besides, time travel? There are way too many problems with that! Just by him going back in time Superman would have altered the future, which could involve a number of scenarios like the Jedi coming to stop him or Clark Kent not becoming Superman...

In any case, let's limit the fight without time travel to make it more plausible (as if this fight totally makes sense) smile

1. sabrebIade profile image80
              sabrebIadeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ooooo...Jedi Superman....
              The mind reels at that prospect....

2. profile image0

Yeah, that's true.  Plus, as fast as superman would be moving, it would be hard for him to decipher which exact time period he'd finally end up in, as he could accidentally go too far if he's not careful. 

Edit:  I'd have to agree with saberblade here on the concept of a jedi superman.  that would be very interesting to see, as he'd probably be damn near impossible to stop if he had the combined powers of his own and jedi abilities.  not that he's not already unstoppable, but even more so with jedi capabilities.

10. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 12 years ago

Superman picks out the Jedi on the ground from Earth orbit with his telescopic vision.
    He locks in and dives at him at,oh say Mach 5.
    Before the Jedi can say "I sense a disturbance in the force" Supes rams through him at roughly 3,840 mph.

1. profile image0

But, would Superman do that? That's like hitting below the belt.

Yeah see, youre right. 
        I always said that if Supes wasn't the Boy Scout that he is,he would be pretty darn close to unstoppable.
        But he has those morals and things.
        Now if Batman were Kryptonian....

1. tHErEDpILL profile image82
          tHErEDpILLposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes, I do thank you for sending me here.  No allow me to sink my teeth into this debate. big_smile

11. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

The Jedi could mind-trick Superman into pulling his own head off.

Jedi 1, Superman 0

1. profile image0

Yes, but those Jedi mind tricks only work on the simple minded, and Superman has an intellect that surpasses most humans.

Among Superman's powers..

"Enhanced mental processes, defenses, and genius level intellect.
        Unlimited physical senses (sight, smell, touch, taste, hearing)."

Mind Trick neutralized.

12. Shadesbreath profile image77

A genius Jedi can handle it. Not to mention, he could get a bunch of his friends to help, because unlike Superman, Jedi are not one-man shows. So, they could gang-mind-F him, bring in a few geniuses. Genusi? Uhh... clearly I won't be invited, but nonetheless, still...

Jedi 1, Superman 0

1. profile image0

Oh i see, so that's how it is, huh? wink  I'll admit when I started this forum, I was thinking about what could happen if it was more of a one on one match.  However since you're bringing in the possibility of other Jedis joining in to help out, then it would stand to reason that Superman could still call on his friends too.  After all, you have to remember he is one of the founding leaders of the Justice League that has powerful members like Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, Hawkman, Hawk Girl, Batman, Robin, Shazam, Supergirl, and many others. 

edit:  Plus if green lantern gets involved, he can easily call in the entire green lantern corpse to help out the justice league as well.  thus outnumbering the jedi

Awww...
        Forget about the JLA!
        He can just call Supergirl, Power Girl, Superboy (Conner), Krypto the Superdog, Comet, the Superhorse, Streaky the Supercat, Beppo the Supermonkey and....ummmmm...wait a minute.
        Maybe you better call the JLA...LOL

http://i.imgur.com/8aWe2.jpg

Yeah that's right!
        A super monkey and a super horse, both with capes!
        Suck on that Jedi!

1. profile image0

lollol Yeah, i hear ya saberblade.  lol  Although I think the combination of Power Girl, Supergirl, Superboy and Superman would be very tough to handle for the Jedi knights.  lol

2. Matt in Jax profile image60
          Matt in Jaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lol. I never even knew about a super monkey and a super horse. This fight is even more lop-sided now!

13. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 12 years ago

Superman, if the fight is here on earth, I think his powers would be limited out in space, so if the fight were in space that might be a whole other ball of wax.

Then the Jedis might have an advantage.

1. profile image0

hi diane, hows it going? smile

1. Diane Inside profile image72
        Diane Insideposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi steven its good just hanging out for a few minutes. lol How are you?

1. profile image0

Oh I'm doing great thanks. Just been kind of preoccupied with a few things today.  Getting ready for classes later this week, while checking up on some people.  Nothing too exciting trust me.  lol.  So what have you been up to lately?

not much crawling around this gawdawful country. lol
            tims catching a few zzzz's so thought I'd check up on hubpages.  And spreading a few comments around. Trying to avoid confrontation, with certain hubbers. lol

1. profile image0

Certain hubbers?  Aw I'm sure nobody around here has anything against ya.  Besides, they'd have to be borderline insane to have a problem with a sweet gal like yourself. wink

aww thanks . lol still slick as ever I see.  lol but cute.

1. profile image0

lol. thanks.  Your not too bad yourself diane. wink

14. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 12 years ago

Superman is weak to "magic", by which I mean he takes the same amount of damage from magical spells and items as a normal person would.  If Jedi's powers are actually considered magic instead of weird biology, they might have a small edge on him.  The fact that lightsabers can cut through most organic substances also helps them.

Of course, they'd have to hit him, which is... hard.

1. profile image0

Oh yeah. I forgot about that silly weakness that superman has.  You do have a point about that, as I didn't even think of that.  that could spell problems if that was the case.

2. sabrebIade profile image80

The Force isn't magic, it's an energy field created by all living things, that surrounds and penetrates living beings and binds the galaxy together.
      The Force is channeled by microscopic bacteria in the bloodstream, midichlorians, so it's scientific.
      (Another reason the last three Star Wars sucked. Thanks George!)
      And yes lightsabers can cut through most organic substances, but so can lasers and The Man of Steel sheds them like a duck sheds water.
      He could grab the blade of the lightsaber and beat the Jedi to death with the handle.

BTW, what wiped almost all the Jedi?
      Order 66...Clone Troopers with blasters?
      Thugs with ray guns?

1. profile image0

Yeah, you do have a point there.  I forgot how George Lucas turned the Force into something that was more scientific based in the prequels. sad  Did you hear about the movies being rerelaesed in 3-d coming out soon?

Yeah, I have mixed feelings.
          It seems like every time he does something he screws the storyline up more and more.
          But being in 3-D cant hurt it.
          Or can it.....?

1. profile image0

idk, i just know that there's rumors that he's thinking about adding extra scenes again for the 3-d releases, and this is part of his plan to rerelease the dvds in 3-d to make even more money.  i guess lucas has turned over to the dark side of cinema these days.

15. tHErEDpILL profile image82
    tHErEDpILLposted 12 years ago

Hmm, this is a tough one.

First off I could see this fight happening if they all existed in the same world.  Superman would probably disagree with the Jedi's methods and the Jedi's might not understand this and decide that Superman is a 'Force' that needs to be stopped.  The probably is, Superman is an unstoppable force. 

Lets go...

1. Supes invulnerability would help him out as far as hand to hand combat goes but then I have to wonder if the light saber harnesses enough power to pierce his skin.  I don't think so since if I am correct the light saber it self is not magical, which is something Superman always has a problem with.

2. Supes is too fast for any of them.  It doesn't matter if they sense him coming, if they can not move fast enough to do anything.

3. Supes could use his heat vision, his strength, or his cold breath to kill the Jedi Knight if it came down to it but, the question is would he.  Most likely this scenario would end up being all of the Jedi's against Supe (that's the only way they would have a chance).  Supes would not kill any of them even if he had the chance.  Most likely at the end of this story Supes would find some way to send them to the phantom zone or something.

My last point makes me wonder, did Superman kill Zod and the other two Kryptonians at the end of Superman II?

In the comics Superman had the Phantom Zone projector that he could have used to send the criminals back to the Phantom Zone.
        But he didn't in the movie.
        So I have to wonder too.
        But he did remove their powers with that red light, so a normal prison could have held them.

2. profile image0

You know, out of all the people that posted here, I think you probably gave the best response thus far, as I tend to agree with many of your assessments.

16. Shadesbreath profile image77

I'm still laughing about the super monkey and super horse. The very appearance of Super Monkey and Super Horse would destroy all Jedi instantly, their minds would explode from ridiculousness of proptions that huge and they would all die.

Let's not forget Streaky the Supercat.
      My God...what were those writers smoking back then?
      Not to mention Beppo's nickname was...get ready..."The Monk of Might".
      It musta been high quality stuff!

No more weird than the Hollywood script writers today who remake remakes and find ways to make sequels out of movies that had a clear ending.  Then when all else fails the new thing to do is prequels or the new favorite BS move..."reboot."

17. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

..nahnahnahnahnahnah Batman!

1. profile image0

rolllollol

18. mcrawford76 profile image90
    mcrawford76posted 12 years ago

Just a thought here, but the Jedi very deliberate and calculating. It would be naive to assume that they would not know that Kriptonite is Superman's weakness.

So with that in mind would they not create a light saber with a Kriptonite chrystal?

1. profile image0

Well as someone else said earlier, we really don't know what material the light saber is already made of, as one person suggested on here that the light sabers could already possess elements of kryptonite in it.  If that's the case, then that could be a huge advantage for the jedi if they can manage to keep the fight a close one rather than fighting superman from a distance.

2. tHErEDpILL profile image82

Whoa!!   Never thought of that!  Kryptonite light saber, dagger, or sword could really hurt Supes.  This is getting interesting.

19. mcrawford76 profile image90
    mcrawford76posted 12 years ago

They could use force powers as well to surround themselves with shards of Kriptonite.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)