Which 'watch free movies online' site is NOT a scam?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (35 posts)
  1. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

Seriously, I want to know.  I went to a site called <links removed>.  I was able to watch a couple of movies, but most of them wouldn't play; they want you to download a certain plug-in an that's a pain.  Especially when you have a computer as old as my desktop.  I never know if I'm infecting my computer or not.  I eventually give up.

So does anyone know?  Oh, I have an old Dell Dimension desktop from 2004. It has extra memory I've added but not enough ooomph for HD or even downloading Flip Video.  I have to convert to MP3 with a converter.

1. Dale Hyde profile image74
      Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Never heard of the site, donotfear. Just visited it. The problems you describe would be site related to my knowledge and not your computer at all. I would look elsewhere.  As for the plug ins, many are not digitally certified and such, and you may be downloading something as you describe. Best to be safe.

1. Dale Hyde profile image74
        Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, by the way, Crackle works well for me. Has the commercials here and there, but no big deal. smile The movies there are uncut.

2. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

1channel.ch is great because you can watch full movies and television shows.  You can get new releases as well.  Much better than hulu or other sites.

3. profile image52
      proloserposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Veehd.com is great too.

1. profile image52
        proloserposted 11 years agoin reply to this

streamflix.net
        tgun.tv

4. tnjman profile image60
      tnjmanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This article mentions TRULY free (for the most part), legal sources:
      http://www.techverse.net/legal-websites … es-online/
      Almost 100% OF FREE MOVIE SITES ARE ILLEGAL!
      If you are stupid enough to add a 'plug-in,' then you have been FOOLED!
      NO LEGIT SITE WILL ASK YOU TO DOWNLOAD ANY SPECIAL VIEWER OR PLUG-IN -- PERIOD! These people who say, "Oh, I have success with this ".CH" site - that is ** CHINA ** and I would NOT trust any Chinese site that allegedly allows free movie watching! Sometimes, even just 'clicking' on some of these sites is enough to cause damage; but mostly you have to at least download a plug-in or app before you truly are infected. Do NOT USE FREE MOVIE SITES! USE AT OWN RISK!

2. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 12 years ago

Go to Hulu.com or Sidereel.com.  Don't download any plugins, those are almost always going to contain some sort of virus or spyware.  Beware of any site that says you can watch new releases for free... those are all a scam or illegally uploaded movies.

I've been to Crackle and Hulu before. Of course, the movie selection is limited there. I think you guys are right....I need to be careful about those "plug-ins".  However, I did watch a great movie on that site a few days ago with no problems. Seems like when I'm looking for a certain movie, it's not on Hulu or Crackle.  I'll try the other site you mentioned: Sidereel.com

Thanks......

2. donotfear profile image82

I found the tv show "Hell on Wheels" on the Sidereel site. That's a good sign.

donotfearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Only thing is, you have to download it. You can't watch live online.
        Rats.

3. Sherry Hewins profile image87
      Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years ago

Moving Image Archives is a great, truly free movie site. The movies are old and in public domain. They even have ogg video files for Linux users. http://www.archive.org/details/movies

This looks like a good one to explore. It won't have any recent shows, though, from what I could tell.

4. Richieb799 profile image73
      Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Novamov is a good site, if you go to the directory part you can see what has recently been uploaded

Richie, so far this site has worked best besides Hulu.  I'm not having problematic videos.

5. profile image0
      icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

It's getting difficult to find movies online. I checked out sites like http://www.watch-movies.co.uk but can't find any movies. Lots of people use bittorrent now instead to download movies rather than stream them. It's not a very complicated program to use really. There's also services like LoveFilm and NetFlix which are pretty cheap and easy to use.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image77
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I tend to avoid sites that break copyright laws.

I stick with sites like Netflicks and various TV network iPad apps to watch TV shows and movies.

1. Aficionada profile image75
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is there a good way to discover which sites are breaking copyright laws?  I was under the impression that some of them had worked out arrangements with the broadcasters - at least for TV programs.  I would really like to know more about this subject, because I'm very concerned about copyright laws.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image77
          Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm basically talking about current movies that aren't even out on DVD yet.

1. Aficionada profile image75
            Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I see.  Thanks for the info. smile

2. livewithrichard profile image72
            livewithrichardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Those would be coming from Torrent sharing sites.  Torrents, are a way of sharing digital info by breaking up the original into thousands of packets where no one person is sharing the entire file. The individual uses a torrent client to reassemble the torrent package in the correct order so that the digital file becomes useful.  It is the least taxing way to transfer digital property over the internet and is completely legal.  However, it also facilitates the illegal activity of sharing copyrighted material such as music, ebooks(kidnle, B&N, etc) and of course movies that some hack went into a movie theater and secretly recorded or ripped from a legally purchased DVD.  Sites like Hulu and some of the others posted above are legally contracted with the major networks and studios and all of their content is available to the end user without fear of breaking any copyright laws.

7. donotfear profile image82

It's still hard to find what I really want to watch, without having to contend with those plug-ins they want you to install.  Then they clutter the page up with several 'play' buttons, which actually takes you to something else.  I think I've pinned down the best one's, though.

1. Zelkiiro profile image61
        Zelkiiroposted 11 years ago

Youtube and Hulu are among the handful of sites where that's legal.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Heck of a good thread! Bookmarked it.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
          HattieMattieMaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://www.movie2k.to/Dredd-3D-watch-movie-2328886.html
          Where hattie watches all her movies for free! Shh! don't tell anyone. lol

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
            HattieMattieMaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was always told that, unless you bought it, it was illegal to download movies, or copy them. I know this from the cable company and they are watching. Never got in trouble for just watching them.

1. Sapper profile image63
              Sapperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not exactly. It's illegal for you to sell downloaded movies without a license, or for a company to host a server and let people download them even for free, like what Napster was doing back in the day. The grey area is when you download movies for free from other people who bought it. It's the lope hole that keeps all of the torrent sites going. Basically, it's no different from you letting someone borrow a movie, just they don't have to give it back.

For the original question, I spent 4 years using project free tv when I was in Japan. Quality is hit and miss sometimes, but it's 100% free so can't really complain.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image84
        FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

I steer clear of those "watch free online movies" sites because most of 'em are shady and will likely pollute your PC with funky viruses 'n' stuff.

However, I've found quite a few goodies on YouTube recently. In the past, uploaders who posted feature films there had to divvy them up into 8 or 10 ten-minute "segments" due to YouTube's time limits on video clips, which of course was a pain in the ass. However, they must've changed their rules because now there are many feature length films offered in their entirety, so you don't have to go clicking to the next "chapter" every few minutes.

It helps if you have a taste for trashy movies like I do, because I'm talking about vintage B-grade stuff like "Maniac Cop 3: Badge of Silence," "Saturn 3" with Farrah Fawcett, "Battle Beyond the Stars" with Richard Thomas, the "Super Mario Brothers" movie, and the 1980 creature feature classic "Alligator."

In other words... don't go looking for the latest box office smashes or Oscar winners.. big_smile

1. Reality Bytes profile image71
          Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I watched 13th Warrior last night on youtube.

4. profile image0
        rmcmillenposted 11 years ago

You Tube for some, movie2k.to for others............. but you didn't hear it from me ;-)

5. Beth100 profile image68
        Beth100posted 11 years ago

I tried movies2k a while back -- as I watched, it siliently downloaded some viruses as well as tracking cookies and spyware.  I avoid it like the plague now!!

Megashare is another site, but quality can be hit and miss. 

As for consistency in quality, it's Netflix for us.  Cheap, legal and HD.  smile 

I'll check out the other recommended sites.  smile

6. Dale Hyde profile image74
        Dale Hydeposted 11 years ago

If you happen to be an Amazon Prime member, you will be overwhelmed at all that is available and is not a scam. smile  I have saved much more in shipping than the Prime Membership costs me annually.  Plus, I get a ton of free ebooks for my Kindle. smile  There is lots out there from Amazon, as a Prime Member. smile  Consider buying things like toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags and such in large quantities....and save money with two day free shipping to your door. smile

7. tnjman profile image60
        tnjmanposted 8 years ago

Hulu, Vudu, Crackle, YouTube (for the most part - some of theirs is illegal as well), Amazon prime video and Netflix -- those are some decent sites that have 'some' free movies -- or movies included as part of their paid subscriptions. Go to "http://canistream.it" and you can look up LEGIT sites where you can stream almost any movie -- it will tell you if the movie is available on Netflix, Amazon, etc.
        There is NO SUCH THING AS A "LEGAL FREE" MOVIE SITE! Some sites that are in foreign countries (such as the ".CH" [Chinese] site that was mentioned] can skirt the law, because they are outside of U.S. jurisdiction, but that does NOT make what they do "legal!" Sidereel may be legal, I'm not sure. That's my 2 cents' worth.
        AND just because "Oh, I watched a movie on [some] FREE site a week ago, and didn't have any problems" -- that's called "DELAYED SPYWARE" - that's the *BEST* spyware! You will watch a movie and not notice anything for a week, a month or, worst case, you NEVER will notice anything while they quietly steal your info, identity, bank accounts, etc.! So, good luck in believing some of these "fan boys" who say "Oh, I use this site all the time, and it's great." Yeah... keep on drinking the Kool-Aid!

8. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

I see this thread is over 4 years old. However...

Netflix is less than $10/month. Then there's Hulu. So why even risk bothering with the free sites these days?

9. profile image53
        Charleshood59posted 8 years ago

i think you forgot to add one more site to this list. which site allows user to watch movie in any language(dubbed).

that is:- kino-streaming .online (pls remove the spaces)

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)