jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What would you do if your kid sulk/sulking?

1. Appreciate Life profile image56
    Appreciate Lifeposted 7 years ago

What would you do if your kid sulk/sulking?

2. Merlin Fraser profile image77
    Merlin Fraserposted 7 years ago

Sulking is a human trait in someone who is too used to getting their own way and is a way of showing they are not happy with the current situation. It is also an anti social form of manipulation.
    It is a nasty little habit often seen in spoilt children who go on to become spoilt and sometimes selfish adults.

I found in children the cure is simple, do not banish them to their room or tell them to go away and sulk somewhere else.

Sit them down within your sight while you get on with whatever you are doing.  Ignore them while they continue to sulk and do not allow them to do anything while the mood continues.

You are attempting to instil in their mind that sulking is an anti social habit associated with boredom and won’t be tolerated.

Children need to learn that anti social behaviour is wrong and they cannot expect to get their own way all the time.   All too often busy parents fall into the trap of giving in to a sulk or worse a temper tantrum neither of which are acceptable in society.

Think of how grateful the future friends and potential partner of your child will be to you in the future.  There is nothing worse than a sulking husband or wife....

3. Loveslove profile image59
    Lovesloveposted 7 years ago

All my children and grandchildren have been brought up to understand that in this world somethings are unobtainable and that you cant always have everything you would like..therefore they  are not spollt and do not sulk when the word 'NO 'is used..if more parents learnt to say the word 'NO' and mean it maybe more children would grow up contented with what they have and not always expect to get everything they want...

4. Apostle Jack profile image59
    Apostle Jackposted 7 years ago

In my hub:"Parents and Children" i spoke about ways of dealing with children with problems,and how we can be free from guilt in how we go about dealing with children.If you are not wiser than they are...then they will be wiser than you.In that case,you will be the child...and they will be the parents.