jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you grow confidence in children and maintain their respect?

1. 6hotfingers3 profile image58
    6hotfingers3posted 7 years ago

How do you grow confidence in children and maintain their respect?

2. Mom Kat profile image80
    Mom Katposted 7 years ago

Showing your child respect teaches them what respect is, as well as to in turn respect you as well.
    There is a difference between fear and respect.  You want your child to respect you - not obey out of fear.
    Helping your child build confidence is easy! Believe in them, praise them for what they do right.  Allow them to feel proud of their accomplishments.  Tell them you love them. 
    Hugs, kisses, family time.... asking your child "what would YOU like to do?"
    ask him/her for their help.  allow him/her to try things that might be difficult, yet they can succeed at.
    Remind them how special they are.

Don't put them down or shame them - alone or in front of people.
    When they do get in trouble - talk to them in a positive way, rather than negative.  Have him/her brainstorm what they could have done differently.
    Make sure your child knows you love him/her - you just don't like the negative behavior.

Display good grades and art work on the fridge.
    Brag about them to your friends and family in front of them!

Keep a 10 to 1 ratio: 10 positives for every 1 negative.

3. linky2010 profile image61
    linky2010posted 7 years ago

For me, you must learn to listen to your children and set aside quality time to talk to them.

4. sir_tallest profile image64
    sir_tallestposted 7 years ago

Children react to different training..........I was spanked as a child and i turned out okay.....a guy who brags he was never spanked is pretty *&*%up and that got me thinking........i don't intend to raise my hand on my kids but i'll have to study them......encourage them with their likes when they do okay and figure out a good way to punish them when they do wrong.......find out about your child and use it to train them

5. 6hotfingers3 profile image58
    6hotfingers3posted 7 years ago

thank you everyone. I agree with all the responses I received. Good advice!

Closed to reply