jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

would you be ok with your man being a stay at home dad?

1. qtkeeks profile image54
    qtkeeksposted 7 years ago

would you be ok with your man being a stay at home dad?

2. sofs profile image81
    sofsposted 7 years ago

Depends on the situation and the need of the family, if the man is comfortable with himself and his contribution why not, If he is just lazy and not doing much then he does not qualify to be called stay at home dad! Either way it is a family decision based on priorities.

3. nicehubs profile image40
    nicehubsposted 7 years ago

Why not? It worked for a long time to have women staying at home. Why not the man?  It depends on the arrangement. This is what partnership is about. Whatever works best.

4. HannahRiley profile image58
    HannahRileyposted 7 years ago

I would, if he was in the process of looking for a job, or if he stayed home while I work & I stay home while he works...

By this I mean, like when I am a nurse, if I work nights...the dad is with the kids. When he works, I am home. It is give & take.

I am traditional, and I believe that the father should generally be the bread-winner, and the mother should have the option to stay home if she wants to. That being said, I will always want to work. I don't depend on someone to take care of me...but I also want to feel self-sustainable and work for myself.

haha...long story short: yeah, it would be ok.
    But not ok if he is choosing to, and expecting the girl to bring home the bacon.

5. profile image0
    jasper420posted 7 years ago

if you have the money to support one another well then why not fathers are important in a childs life i wish i got to know mine better he was always at work

6. krishubpages123 profile image33
    krishubpages123posted 7 years ago

nobody wants it like that, because today's society wants both to work for their money, but sometimes ok, but most often you can not even escape from your neighbour asking you about it so many times...

7. nlclark profile image61
    nlclarkposted 7 years ago

In today's economy, with lack of work or job loss, it makes sense. 

The stay-at-home-parent, whether its the dad or the mom, needs to realize that there's more to it than just parenting.  There are other things that the working parent shouldn't have to worry about, since they are at work all day.

The stay-at-home parent should take on bill paying, laundry, house-cleaning, yard work, scheduling and keeping doctor appointments, grocery shopping, and meal planning with preparation.

In this day and age, it seems like role-reversal when the man stays home.  Role-reversal is fine, if the man takes on the enire role.  All too often, the man in this situation starts behaving like a baby-sitter.  The working mom ends up working and taking care of everything else too, and then when the mom gets home from work, he's done, like a baby-sitter, so she has to take care of the kids too.

As long as you both agree on your roles and responsibilities, why not?

8. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

In today's economy we have to adapt.  My husband and I actually did that for a while in the 80's - I had a job, he couldn't find one.  If a woman has a job and the man can stay home--go for it!  A loving parent is what children need, whether mom or dad.

working