jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What are some tips for taking a 1 year old on a longer car trip?

1. L a d y f a c e profile image77
    L a d y f a c eposted 7 years ago

What are some tips for taking a 1 year old on a longer car trip?

We are driving quite a distance for Christmas and have a 1 year old. Obviously I'm a tad nervous. What sort of things should I do to prepare?

2. profile image54
    SpaceAgeposted 7 years ago

Just take what the child needs, & then some. Packing their favorites may very well help. Start there.

3. rkhyclak profile image61
    rkhyclakposted 7 years ago

Activity bag/box with a couple of new toys, snacks, etc. Travel at night! And having a portable DVD player or access to YouTube on your phone or computer is a life saver! Make sure to bring plenty of snacks and drinks. We usually put one of the extra absorbency night time diapers on our daughter as well. If you do travel during the day, be sure to plan some time for your child to get out and run around to play-either at a park or a school playground or something. We've traveled with our daughter from Ohio to Florida, from Ohio to South Carolina (many times), and from Ohio to Missouri with only minimal fussiness. Hope this helps!

4. wytegarillaz profile image74
    wytegarillazposted 7 years ago

Have travelled right across Australia with 18 month old daughter ! was a great trip !

few toys , books fun stops on the way , healthy snacks .

Have a great trip, I have hub on children in my collection

5. L a d y f a c e profile image77
    L a d y f a c eposted 7 years ago

Thanks for your answers. Those are some great suggestions. I knew to have snacks and drinks, but I hadn't thought of new toys. Nice! He'll be occupied for hours with new toys. We're driving from New Brunswick to Manitoba. We've planned visits with friends along the way so that should help some. Most of them have kids too.
    Thanks again smile

6. Pikachusif profile image69
    Pikachusifposted 7 years ago

I believe a few of the baby's favorite toys would help, because they don't tire out easily. I suggest some great baby books for him\her to read, in case you're in a traffic jam and you don't want binkies flying into people's cars and ears. Also bring a comfy carrier so the baby can take a nap if it gets tired out. Plus, if the baby gets hungry, bring some of his\her favorite portable snacks. That should do the trick!

working