jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Does the whole soap in a kids mouth really prevent kids from faul language or ta

1. bellawritter23 profile image78
    bellawritter23posted 7 years ago

Does the whole soap in a kids mouth really prevent kids from faul language or talking back?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4181474_f260.jpg

2. zoey24 profile image75
    zoey24posted 7 years ago

No and my biological father did that to me when i was younger (although it was for crying rather than swearing). I see this method as cruel.

3. Lisa HW profile image71
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Kids don't use foul language (at least in the presence of their parents) when parents don't use it - ever; and when parents tell kids, "That's not the kind of talk we have in this family."

Kids don't talk back to parents when parents speak to kids in a respectful and reasonable way (sets an example), and when they (through their example and behavior) have earned the right (in the kids' eyes) to say, "We don't talk to one another with disrespect in this family."

Any parent who is capable of using something like soap in his own child's mouth as a way to "teach" the child anything is sorely lacking not only in parenting skills, but in the kind of parental instinct that makes better, more loving, more reasonable, and/or more skilled, parents find the "soap thing" abusive and ignorant.

4. bulalo profile image59
    bulaloposted 7 years ago

"Does the whole soap in a kids mouth really prevent kids from fowl language or talking back?"

Not really, I guess. But it may help kids acquire a taste for soap. big_smile

5. profile image0
    Pachuca213posted 7 years ago

I sure hope not. I like to believe that a good parent doesn't let the cussing or the disrespect happen in the first place by instilling fear, not the fear of a spanking but the fear of disappointing their parents.  If you can reach your kids hearts, then there is never a need for soap or any other kind of cruel tactic.

One funny thing I would like to mention:  Did you ever see "The Christmas Story"? Classic comedy at its best, but the reality of that soap scene was that the mother was so blind to admit that it was her own husband being the bad influence on the kids and yet she was in denial and using soap to "clean his foul mouth", as if that was gonna do any good.

Besides getting the runs from swallowing the soap, I doubt any kids will be influenced my soap. Their #1 influence will be their parents and how they raise them. Love is always the first ingredient to good kids...

6. thesassydiva profile image57
    thesassydivaposted 7 years ago

No! But may cause fear. Plus it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

7. dman12323 profile image56
    dman12323posted 7 years ago

no,that is very cruel to put soap in your sons mouth.I mean,Soap belongs on your body not in your sons mouth!Just tell the kid not to say that "bad word" again.I mean,you dont have to wash your kids mouth out,literally.Just tell him not to speak of the bad word again.Plane and simple!

8. dusy7969 profile image60
    dusy7969posted 7 years ago

Only if it is liquid soap. The bar soap isn't very effective because it doesn't last very long. Liquid lasts for hours. Trust me, I know from experience.

9. Wombara profile image55
    Wombaraposted 7 years ago

Does not work. My mother did it to me once when I was a kido and I still swear. 

Any matter, don't do it... it's just plain nasty and probably classed as abuse.

Closed to reply

working