jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Should children be allowed to text at the dinner table?

1. cydro profile image87
    cydroposted 6 years ago

Should children be allowed to text at the dinner table?

2. 2005Fleet profile image60
    2005Fleetposted 6 years ago

I think you shouldn't text at the dinner table. I personally think it's rude. And I text a lot but never at the table nor do I allow anyone to do so.

I was brought up that the dinner table is a place were family sits down and talks, enjoys each others company, etc.

Personally I think 'dinner table time' is a simple (hour at most) time to spend time together, especially with all the running around and 'alone' time people have,

3. PiaC profile image59
    PiaCposted 6 years ago

I don't think that anyone - children or adults should text during meal times. In fact, it's best if all gadgets - phones, ipods, ebooks - are left out of the dining room by kids and adults alike.

4. Daffy Duck profile image60
    Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago

No.  Dinner is family time.  It's a chance for the family to sit down and talk. Texting and technology should be banned from the table.

5. BaliMermaid profile image56
    BaliMermaidposted 6 years ago

Not no, but hell no!

Dinner should be family time. Not sms, texting or video game time.
    No electronic whamzos in the dining area what so ever.

6. munirahmadmughal profile image60
    munirahmadmughalposted 6 years ago

Liberty says there should be no limitation or restriction to text at the dinner table but the reason says to keep the dinner table a dinner table. If the tables are turned much interference will come on other areas and subject matters. Exceptions apart to do a thing on time and at its proper place in proper environment looks pleasant and also brings better results.

7. pierceh profile image67
    piercehposted 6 years ago

No way. Family dinners have long been a dying occasion. And it's such a vital part of family time - it's sadly often the only time the whole family is together in one room. If ever!

So definitely no phones, no ipods, no gadgets, no TV. A little background music, sure.

And meals finish when everyone finishes - not when you've downed your plateful and want to go watch TV.

I sound like such a bore, but I honestly think family and community benefit enormously from such a simple thing as families sitting round a table, enjoying a lovingly prepared meal, and just talking to each other.

8. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

It's a rude behavior, so no.  It's like reading a book at the dinner table; it's rude and anti-social behavior.  It can wait until afterward.  Anyway, dinner time should be family time.  Wow I think I've finally reached the age where I sound like my parents.. :\

9. mcrawford76 profile image82
    mcrawford76posted 6 years ago

Yes, as long as they don't mind me throwing their phone out the window.

10. scauthor1969 profile image59
    scauthor1969posted 6 years ago

No. Dinner time is family time and if you cannot wait that long to text than you have a problem. Enough with the texting already!

11. G.L.A. profile image82
    G.L.A.posted 6 years ago

I don't understand why a child would  'need' to text at all.

12. freecampingaussie profile image63
    freecampingaussieposted 6 years ago

No , Dinner time should be for the family to spend quality time together without phones etc, just done a hub on this !