jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Why has the "family dinner" disappeared?

1. TCDesign profile image57
    TCDesignposted 6 years ago

Why has the "family dinner" disappeared?

2. justamber profile image61
    justamberposted 6 years ago

I think one reason is that families use to live all close by each other and now they're scattered in different cities and states.

3. breathe2travel profile image80
    breathe2travelposted 6 years ago

For the American - the pace of life has increased tremendously, and often dinners are found at a drive through, or everyone fending for themselves.  Also, American culture does not esteem the "family unit" as highly as they once did, nor "all things family"...

4. mattdigiulio profile image75
    mattdigiulioposted 6 years ago

Interesting question. I think the family dinner is seen as slightly archaic to today's young parents. These are parents who grew up in the eighties and nineties, times that brought on new cultural norms.
    Also, during the eighties and nineties, we gained the use of video games, hundred-channel cable, and internet. So many new forms of instant entertainment, distracting us from sitting down with your family.

5. Thek1ngsway profile image77
    Thek1ngswayposted 6 years ago

Because every member of the family has his own set of different priorities now days and duties . It doesnt happen very often for all the members to be free at the same time .

Anyway i also think there is a certain apathy about these type o "activity" nowdays .

6. twilanelson profile image61
    twilanelsonposted 6 years ago

With varied schedules it is hard for everyone to get together.  By my youngest child's demands we try to have family dinners at least every two weeks and for every holiday, birthday and family event.

7. TCDesign profile image57
    TCDesignposted 6 years ago

I totally get that families have busy schedules and I guess that my childhood experience with family dinner was different than most. My mom works as an R.N. but still managed to cook dinner for a family of 6 every night...and we all ate together.

If I ever have kids, I definitely think that family dinner is important because everyone is so overscheduled! I know its hard but I would definitely make the effort.

8. JT Walters profile image80
    JT Waltersposted 6 years ago

Both parents are working and children are being scheduled to death.

9. jkselections profile image58
    jkselectionsposted 6 years ago

We are all so busy working and running here and there to find time to cook is sometimes impossible let alone sitting down at the table together.

10. mysteriousmaven profile image59
    mysteriousmavenposted 6 years ago

I think there's a lot of different reasons and situations:

01. The number of the people who don't know how to cook is getting more and more each year. Thus, a lot of them depend on eating out or ordering takeaway around the clock, and they eat whenever it's convenient for them...

02. The fast pace of society is gradually wearing away the number of people who even eat dinner. Nowadays, a lot of people are skipping meals, and when they eat, it's something on the go. They don't really have fixed times for breakfast, lunch or dinner. They just eat whenever they can squeeze in some time...

03. More and more people are choosing not to have families and have decided to stay single instead.

04. Families are growing farther and farther apart with all the new entertainment and media around us.

working