Things to know about being a father?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. Nspeel profile image61
    Nspeelposted 12 years ago

Things to know about being a father?

Found out I was going to be a father for my first time a few weeks back was looking for some helpful tips and advice

2. Vanessa Anderson profile image60
    Vanessa Andersonposted 12 years ago

I'm not sure if you were looking for me or women to answer, but I couldn't help but want to give advice...being a mommy does that  :-)  My first bit of advice is to be there whenever possible.  Be there for the mom through all appointments and such.  Be there when baby is born and spend as much time as possible with baby.  Time goes by so fast, and once it's gone, it's gone.  Love him/her with all of your heart and soul.  Being a parent is such a gift.  I wish you well!

3. lmarsh1203 profile image60
    lmarsh1203posted 12 years ago

I second Vanessa Anderson. Being present is the greatest gift you can give your kids. I'm thrilled when my husband walks through the door and grabs our toddler and plays with her. There's nothing better in the world than a father you loves his kids and shows it daily. Also be patient with your significant other. Hormones are rough on a woman!

4. frugalfamily profile image72
    frugalfamilyposted 12 years ago

Congratulations! The fact that you are looking for advice is a clue that you will be a wonderful father!  Soon the advice will be flooding in even unsolicited!  Here is a tip from an Early Childhood professional:  Caring times are bonding times.  When you feed your child you are holding her at height that promotes bonding with your eyes.  Even if mom nurses, you can feed your baby breast milk from a bottle on occasion.  Changing diapers and bath time are not just chores but studies have shown that they promote bonding (that's a good thing:)

5. Nspeel profile image61
    Nspeelposted 12 years ago

I just want to thank everyone for their advice thus far. It means a lot more to me than you may think. I have been through a lot and have wanted a child for some time so lucky for me it did not just pop up. Although i am still young only 21 i have been raised with newborns my entire life so i at least got a toe out the door, as for being a father this is like walking on the moon, i have never thought what that actually means till now. For this i am grateful i am asking myself what it means now instead of years after my child being born. I have till  the end of January to figure out exactly what it means, and then continue learning the rest of my life. the more advice you all can give can only improve what i do not already know thank you all.

P.s. As for the mother i would not dare miss an appointment with her or i am sure all you ladies, and men who have missed one, would know what would happen to me. Ha ha i do not need that big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)