jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Things to know about being a father?

1. Nspeel profile image75
    Nspeelposted 6 years ago

Things to know about being a father?

Found out I was going to be a father for my first time a few weeks back was looking for some helpful tips and advice

2. Vanessa Anderson profile image60
    Vanessa Andersonposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure if you were looking for me or women to answer, but I couldn't help but want to give advice...being a mommy does that  :-)  My first bit of advice is to be there whenever possible.  Be there for the mom through all appointments and such.  Be there when baby is born and spend as much time as possible with baby.  Time goes by so fast, and once it's gone, it's gone.  Love him/her with all of your heart and soul.  Being a parent is such a gift.  I wish you well!

3. lmarsh1203 profile image59
    lmarsh1203posted 6 years ago

I second Vanessa Anderson. Being present is the greatest gift you can give your kids. I'm thrilled when my husband walks through the door and grabs our toddler and plays with her. There's nothing better in the world than a father you loves his kids and shows it daily. Also be patient with your significant other. Hormones are rough on a woman!

4. frugalfamily profile image76
    frugalfamilyposted 6 years ago

Congratulations! The fact that you are looking for advice is a clue that you will be a wonderful father!  Soon the advice will be flooding in even unsolicited!  Here is a tip from an Early Childhood professional:  Caring times are bonding times.  When you feed your child you are holding her at height that promotes bonding with your eyes.  Even if mom nurses, you can feed your baby breast milk from a bottle on occasion.  Changing diapers and bath time are not just chores but studies have shown that they promote bonding (that's a good thing:)

5. Nspeel profile image75
    Nspeelposted 6 years ago

I just want to thank everyone for their advice thus far. It means a lot more to me than you may think. I have been through a lot and have wanted a child for some time so lucky for me it did not just pop up. Although i am still young only 21 i have been raised with newborns my entire life so i at least got a toe out the door, as for being a father this is like walking on the moon, i have never thought what that actually means till now. For this i am grateful i am asking myself what it means now instead of years after my child being born. I have till  the end of January to figure out exactly what it means, and then continue learning the rest of my life. the more advice you all can give can only improve what i do not already know thank you all.

P.s. As for the mother i would not dare miss an appointment with her or i am sure all you ladies, and men who have missed one, would know what would happen to me. Ha ha i do not need that big_smile