jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

At what age should you have the birds and bees talk with your child?

1. findawayormakeone profile image68
    findawayormakeoneposted 6 years ago

At what age should you have the birds and bees talk with your child?

My mother shared the intimate details of a sexual relationship very early on in my life. Her mother never filled her in until the eve of her wedding. When is the best time to let your child know about the birds and the bees.

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image90
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 6 years ago

I think they should have a basic idea before going to school around other children because they will learn it their way there. It is really a shame I think but with the world so wicked we don't have much choice if we want our children safe. They should be warned so tiny children know to go to an adult immediately if anyone invades any of their private space, even dads and step dads or whoever. How many might have been saved if Mom had had that talk with her little ones. Now we have a school full of people and no doubt others they shared the secret with that let abuse of little boys go on for years and I hope they will pay the price for that...as if they really ever could.

3. Rai 18 profile image62
    Rai 18posted 6 years ago

Your child should be informed as soon as they can understand words.  You don't have to go into to detail, but it is better for you to teach your child about it than to have someone else teach them.

4. jacqui2011 profile image84
    jacqui2011posted 6 years ago

My daughters school did a sex education talk with them last year when she was 9 years old. She had lots of questions which I explained to her when she got home.

5. chiefmomofficer profile image61
    chiefmomofficerposted 6 years ago

It seems like earlier and earlier these days.  I feel it's important to answer any questions they may have truthfully but to keep the answers to just the amount of information they need at each age.  I'd say probably by 9 or a little younger, they should have a basic understanding of how it all works, and that understanding should come from the parents, not from friends/classmates.