jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the best way you have found in dealing with your children being bullied?

1. leanneswackyworld profile image60
    leanneswackyworldposted 6 years ago

What is the best way you have found in dealing with your children being bullied?

2. kaledra13 profile image55
    kaledra13posted 6 years ago

That is a tough question. I think listening is key and making sure your child understands that you are not judging them. My stepson recently had an issue with a group of kids bullying him at school. It was really hard not to be angry at the other kids and not to say something unkind about the other children. My stepson was very embarrassed by the incident and humilated. He didn't want his dad to know what had happened and he was afraid to talk to us about it. We made sure he understood that we were there for him and he could talk to us about anything and as long as he was doing the right thing we would always have his back.  Likewise, working with the school to understand the situation and make sure that action is being taken against bullys is important.

3. Cre8tor profile image97
    Cre8torposted 6 years ago

I think getting directly involved could make matters even worse for your child. Going to the bully's parents, you risk the parent (potentially a bully themselves) being offended by your remarks but also the kid may get in trouble and retaliate on your child.

I feel the best resolution is to find an adult (teacher presumably) that you can speak with discretely. Don't ask them to act on the past but be vigilant going forward. This will draw their attention to the situation and perhaps then the boy can be caught redhanded and lessen the chance of revenge.

Ultimately, no one can be over them all day and it may continue. Reassure him/her that there are jerks in the world and that he/she must not take it to heart. IF the bullying is physical, I tell my children that IF, and only IF, left with NO choice, you defend yourself. I don't believe my child should take a beating to avoid suspension due to zero tolerance. (Sorry so long)

4. Melis Ann profile image92
    Melis Annposted 6 years ago

My main focus is for my child to understand that the bully is actually hurting in some way and insecure and bothering them because of that and therefore should not take the bullying to heart.

working