jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Would it be better for society if people with dozens of pets just adopted/foster

1. Hypersapien profile image36
    Hypersapienposted 5 years ago

Would it be better for society if people with dozens of pets just adopted/fostered a child instead?

It doesn't take much effort to find stories about people with dozens of pets.  But if you've got that much in excess love and resources, couldn't you do a lot more good by adopting or fostering a child?

2. Monisajda profile image75
    Monisajdaposted 5 years ago

That's a question that will most likely create a controversy between dog lovers and people who love kids. I noticed there is quite a tension between the two. I used to have dogs when I was a teen and young adult and at that time I didn't want to have my kids. I just thought dogs were the right option for me.

A few years later, though, I found myself ready to have my family and have my children. I see many people who choose to have pets instead of children. Sometimes they are single and owning a pet is much easier than raising a human being. You can also leave your dogs for quite some time alone at home while you can't do it with children.

As far as making a conscious choice to care for a dog rather than an adopted child, I guess it is a personal decision and can't be generalized here. While I had dogs, I was also a dog groomer and a dog handler and I could see a trend where people would invest themselves heavily in their pet and treat him as their child, even more so because with a child you use logic, love and discipline and with dogs people sometimes forget about logic. I could see them feeding chocolate to their dog and not thinking how unhealthy it is for it (chocolate is a no no for dogs) because the dog begged for it.

Yes, while it seems controversial on some level to see people choosing pets rather than humans, we must not forget we never know what their personal motives and circumstances are.

3. heartexpressions profile image48
    heartexpressionsposted 5 years ago

I am an adoptive parent, and I have worked in the field of social services.  Many people adopt because they want to "save a child."  While that may seem noble, I believe that adopting children is not something to be taken lightly.  There's a huge difference between adopting a human being and adopting a pet.  A child who is up for adoption has experienced an enormous amount of rejection; one can only imagine what a child must feel like if after adoption the adoption ends of failing.

4. Asalexander profile image61
    Asalexanderposted 4 years ago

As a Stepmom, Adoptive Mom, and also having a daughter (biologically), all three are for me.  However, some people choose not to have children and they shouldn't be forced to.  While taking care of pets is very important, there is quite a difference between taking care of pets and taking care of children!  Many adopted children (such as my own) have special needs.  A better solution would be for them to donate money towards organizations that truly help orphans/ social orphans.

working