jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Five tips for weaning children from junk food to healthier alternatives?

1. vespawoolf profile image97
    vespawoolfposted 5 years ago

Five tips for weaning children from junk food to healthier alternatives?

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
    Shahid Bukhariposted 5 years ago

Eating habits are formed quite early in life ...
    Thus, you cannot wean your teenage kids from Junk foods ...

But, don't worry ... all of us "learn" the value and advantages, of healthy foods in our adult life.

3. GoodLady profile image92
    GoodLadyposted 5 years ago

In the first few days I'd make this menu for the five meals - as my five tips:
    For breakfast, a cereal with raisins in (and if your child has a sweet tooth then add honey).
    For lunch, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with great peanut butter and fresh brown bread.
    For afternoon snack an apple in slices, and some banana too.
    For dinner, baked beans on toast with a nice sausage or a poached egg on the side.
    It's still short of greens, but there is protein, carbo's, fruits, grains (pulces).
    It's a beginning.

You just never buy pre-packaged foods again!
    If you make soups, you can make them together...they taste great and are easy to make.
    Try one new green vegetable a day.
    All the best.

4. sassydee profile image75
    sassydeeposted 5 years ago

My answer to the question how to get children into eating other alternatives rather than junk foods read more

5. LauraGT profile image91
    LauraGTposted 5 years ago

Depends on how old they are.  For little ones:
    - Limit the amount of junk food in your house.  Put them somewhere your kids can't reach them and have them be "special treats" only (in my house, it's 1 per day max!)
    - Have healthy, natural snacks that your kids like available. In the house, have a fruit bowl in a prominent position that they can have anytime. Out of the house, I always have apples, grapes, and clementines packed in my bag.
    - Don't make junk food taboo, but do limit it!

working