jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How Differently Do You Parent Your Kids Than How Your Parents Parented You?

1. Shil1978 profile image92
    Shil1978posted 6 years ago

How Differently Do You Parent Your Kids Than How Your Parents Parented You?

Did you disapprove of some parenting techniques used by your own parents and resolved to not follow them when parenting your own kids?

2. profile image0
    kelleywardposted 6 years ago

Quite differently. I hug and kiss them more. I put less pressure on them to be "perfect". My parents did the best they could and I do the best I can.

3. alliemacb profile image94
    alliemacbposted 6 years ago

I'm a lot more laid back.  My parents were young when they had me and only just starting out so they had a lot of pressure to keep a roof over our heads.  I don't have the same stresses they did, but that's thanks to them providing well and giving me a good start in life.

4. Ciel Clark profile image74
    Ciel Clarkposted 6 years ago

I parent my kids the same way I was parented...  But in totally different circumstances!  I am raising my boys in middle America suburbia-house, public school, married parents with regular jobs instead of roaming around in a teepee with hippie parents.  Different circumstances, but interestingly enough, same values.

5. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 6 years ago

As much as I love my parents; I definately parent in my own way rather than theirs. I over-cuddle my daughter to make up for lack of cuddles growing up. I'll never let my girl fall asleep on a pillow full of tears...

I think that my parents taught me just as much what not to do by doing it and what to do by not doing it, as the other way around...

But they did instill values and morals which I definately try to pass on; but never in the same way.