Telling your child they are pretty...

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. CJ Andrews profile image84
    CJ Andrewsposted 12 years ago

Telling your child they are pretty...

Do you think it is appropriate to tell your child they are pretty? 
    If so, why do you tell your child they are pretty?
    If not, why don't you?

Please, keep this short and to the point.

2. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 12 years ago

sure, why wouldn't I if it were true.  And, I wouldn't NOT tell a child they are pretty if they were less than that because there is always something to find appealing about every person.   Heck, this is a child and they need to have positive messages given to them by people they trust - there's enough naysayers in the world that they will eventually meet who will want to knock them down.

A child's self esteem grows through positive remarks.  But, a child also needs to know that it is not outward beauty that is the real priceless gem-that's just the image we project in our 'beautiful' focused society.

3. terrektwo profile image81
    terrektwoposted 12 years ago

I think I would let my daughter know I think she is a special person, compliment her abilities and when she acts right and good. I don't know if I would really get into physical appearance because I wouldn't want her to think that it was an important thing. If she were a teen and it was in context, say she was commenting on herself and was being moody because a boy wouldn't notice her I would tell her I think she is a beautiful young lady and deserves someone that will treat her like she wants to be treated. Clear and to the point.

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Yes.  I told all three of my (now grown) kids that they were pretty/good looking (depending on whether it was my sons or daughter).  They were, and they still are (and I still tell them from time to time).  They're also people who have been raised to know that looks aren't the most important thing.

Why?  Because other kids and teachers aren't usually going to tell kids they're good looking, so parents are kind of "it" when it comes to their hearing it.  Lots of good looking children look in the mirror and don't really see how pretty they are.  Those are kids who need parents to tell them; because even if they think their parents are "just saying that" because they love them, it will at least make them question their own dislike of their own appearance.

Some kids do like what they see in the mirror.  Those kids need to be told too, however; because if they don't hear it from someone they may not trust their own judgment or what they think they see in the mirror.  They may wonder if they're the only ones who see "pretty" in the mirror and wonder if there's something wrong with how they view themselves.  They'll tend to reason it out this way:  "If nobody ever said I'm pretty I'm probably not as pretty as I think I am.  I'm not sure if what I see in the mirror is accurate or not."  Not being able to trust what they see in the mirror is a bad thing.  (One of the problems with anorexia is that girls look in the mirror and "see fat" when they're really thin.  I can't say that not hearing they're pretty is the cause of that, but I do know that it's not good for a young person not to feel she can trust what she sees in the mirror.)

5. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

Absolutely.  I have also told my children that I adore them and think they are wonderful.  They will learn quickly that the entire world doesn't think so--but to know your family thinks you rock is invaluable.  We are their safe place to fall.  It is important for them to know how much you love them and it is part of our job as parents to help build self-esteem by giving them positive feedback on all kinds of things like art, chores, school work etc.

6. algarveview profile image73
    algarveviewposted 12 years ago

Yes, I do, I think that both my children are very pretty, so I tell them that all the time, besides I think it helps them gain self-confidence, just like telling them they are smart, fast, etc. Obviously, we shouldn't deceive them telling them they are something that they are not, but if we think they are... Also, it is a matter of taste or opinion, my opinion is that they are pretty, so I tell them, perhaps other people don't think so.

7. CJ Andrews profile image84
    CJ Andrewsposted 12 years ago

So, my follow up is this:  What do you think happens if you have told a child they are pretty and as young adults (high school / college) they get into a car accident and are completely disfigured. 

Do you think that having been told they are pretty/handsome growing up that this will impact their self-esteem?

If you do not tell your child they are pretty do you think this would have as much of an effect on them?

8. TripleAMom profile image78
    TripleAMomposted 12 years ago

What is the definition of beauty?  If it is physical attractiveness, then that is very subjective.  I believe my children are beautiful (to me) and I do say so, but I don't believe they always ACT beautiful and I say so.  Children need to learn that they present themselves to others as a whole package. 

As for whether I would still tell them they are beautiful if they were disfigured in an accident, of course I would, for the same reasons.  They would need love and support to overcome any outcome.  My children will always be beautiful to me no matter what they look like and hopefully they will always know that.

9. Joesy Shmoesy profile image61
    Joesy Shmoesyposted 12 years ago

What makes someone pretty? My children and I talk a lot about how personality can make people very pretty or very ugly, no matter what their outter shell shows.  Before or after a tragic disfiguration, I believe it's what is on the inside that makes someone pretty.  I also believe that as parents, it is up to us to support our child's self esteem - Spoil them with compliments!  Great question to get you thinking!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)