jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What is the one thing you learned from your parents that has been priceless bit

1. GDiBiase profile image81
    GDiBiaseposted 6 years ago

What is the one thing you learned from your parents that has been priceless bit of information ?

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Never let the sun set on an argument.

3. kgarcia1113 profile image71
    kgarcia1113posted 6 years ago

My parents where the first people to teach me about tolerance and accepting differences in others. They are a mixed-race couple and both sides of their families were from the old days where people just didn't do that.

They showed me that who you love is more important then where they come from. I have grown up in a world where when you are different people have to point it out but that never got me down. I know I'm different, I have an open mind on everything and don't care what color someone's skin is or who they're in a relationship with. I got lucky, I didn't learn that at school, I was taught those things from home before pre-school. My parents and my family prepared me for the real world by showing how people react and how to deal with it.

4. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

I think, although it's an old saying, the advice of 'treat others as you would want to be treated' always sticks in my mind especially when I think of my Mum who died a few years ago. During my career and in my social life, I still try and stick by that golden rule. I think it maintains your self respect and it gives respect to others.

5. Becky Katz profile image83
    Becky Katzposted 6 years ago

They taught me the value of family. They taught me what a real marriage is like, so I do not need to keep divorcing and re-marrying looking for one. They taught me how to love and give to others.
    And my mom taught me the value of antiques. I have used that the most to get extra money. I buy whenever I find something that I know I can sell for more. Then I will double or triple my money. Helpful when your husband is totally disabled. I even have had a business doing that. It has helped feed us for years.

6. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure it's the "one" (and only) thing that's been priceless, but it's a big one for me; and that's my parents' emphasis on thinking for myself; but also, their example of nurturing kids who think for themselves (because I was able to do the same with my own three children).   smile

7. suzanno profile image75
    suzannoposted 6 years ago

They have taught me to be the best in me, how to face situations, how to be a better person etc

8. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 6 years ago

My dad taught me to "forgive and forget". In a marraige, there are lots of quarrel, heated argument and often the word"divorce" pop up. By the end of the day, just take it as another lesson from marraige and forget about it. Hatred and curses will lead your children "copycat" your footsteps. I love my dad!!

9. Unleashed Freedom profile image60
    Unleashed Freedomposted 6 years ago

if this is about my biological parents we are talking about - then it is this - NEVER have kids smile ever.

if it is all the lovely people who have filled in as parents for me. it is this. there is a lot of good around. one only needs to feel trust oneself and reach out.

10. Efficient Admin profile image92
    Efficient Adminposted 6 years ago

Always show respect to your elders, and to be polite to people.

working