jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

Did your parents choose your career or did you know instinctively what you wante

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

Did your parents choose your career or did you know instinctively what you wanted to be?

2. saket71 profile image61
    saket71posted 5 years ago

I think it is the first one as is common for most in India, hope I could amend it in my lifetime with my child.

3. Moon Daisy profile image84
    Moon Daisyposted 5 years ago

Hmm, they did choose the first job I did, hoping it would become a career.  But after a year I left as I hated it so much.  Then I chose my own path.

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

To Moon Daisy, Good for you.   My parents tried to suggest my first job but I rebelled against it from the very beginning!  I am my OWN person and refuse to let anyone tell me what to do!

2. Moon Daisy profile image84
      Moon Daisyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. My whole childhood they were (not so subtly) encouraging me to follow in my dad's footsteps with my career. Then when I left college and I hadn't a clue what to do next, I thought "why not?" Then when I hated it I realised why not. smile

4. anagham profile image60
    anaghamposted 5 years ago

I'm lucky that I have parents who support me all the way.They never forced me to choose the career they wanted.. I chose my career and  I'm very happy.

5. Cobrafan profile image79
    Cobrafanposted 5 years ago

My parents really pushed for me to get into computer science. I tried it. I did a year of college, landed a good paying job doing SEO and website development, then decided I despised what I was doing. I'm now applying to Police Academy to get my peace officer certification to become a cop. It's what I've wanted to do since I was a kid so it's what I'm going to do. Even if the pay isn't fantastic and my life is on the line every day, I want to spend my life bettering my community, helping people, and bringing criminals to justice.

Good for you, Cobrafan.  I wish you the utmost of luck in your new career.

2. Moon Daisy profile image84
      Moon Daisyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I also think that's really admirable Cobrafan. And if you've wanted to do it since you were a kid you'd kick yourself for not trying! Good luck with your certification and future career.

3. Cobrafan profile image79
      Cobrafanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks guys! Got a lot of work ahead of me just to get into academy, but it's my dream!

6. Bonitaanna profile image78
    Bonitaannaposted 5 years ago

I knew what I wanted to be at 4 years old.  A singer.  All my childhood my family made fun of me and laughed if I would sing.  I would go out in my dads shop and turn the radio on and go upstairs and sing over the radio and the airplane engines.  Many things and people got in the way of me having a singing career. So I went to UNR and signed up for Opera Theater not even knowing what an aria was.  Which is almost impossible to do. I was 42 years old by the time I got around to it.  I performed in 4 Operas and numerous musicals.  I have performed in many many churches and concerts with my husband Samuel.  He is a worldwide Opera performer.  I started too, old.  If I had started in my late teens or early 20's, the head of the music department told me that I would have had a very good career as a lead singer. So people don't listen to anyone out there who laughs at you and ridicules you.  Nine times out of ten they are just jealous of your God given talent. Also, over the years I have noticed that people who know what they wanted to be early in life, were given their talent early in life. As if it were programed in them. Even artist are given their talent to paint early in life. Or pianists, or Violinist's. People need to pay attention to that. If a child is given a talent, please don't try to change it.  It has been given to them by God!

To Bonitiaanna:  It is totally egregious to have soul destroying parents.  Soul destroying parents are the parents who inadvertently damage their child because they wish to pursue avenues that the parent deem to be unrealistic. Let the child be!

2. Bonitaanna profile image78
      Bonitaannaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

you are right gmwilliams. I am 69 and I still don't want to be anything but a singer. My first husband would not allow it. Now my teeth are preventing me for fullfulling my dreams. It hurts alot.  I have never really enjoyed any job I have had,

3. gmwilliams profile image86

This is so sad.  That is why children should be allowed to pursue their dreams and do what they LOVE!  Nothing is sadder or more hellish than have a job/career that one does not like.  You are never happy and live in a perpetual hell!

working