Did your parents choose your career or did you know instinctively what you wante

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

Did your parents choose your career or did you know instinctively what you wanted to be?

2. saket71 profile image61
    saket71posted 11 years ago

I think it is the first one as is common for most in India, hope I could amend it in my lifetime with my child.

3. Moon Daisy profile image79
    Moon Daisyposted 11 years ago

Hmm, they did choose the first job I did, hoping it would become a career.  But after a year I left as I hated it so much.  Then I chose my own path.

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To Moon Daisy, Good for you.   My parents tried to suggest my first job but I rebelled against it from the very beginning!  I am my OWN person and refuse to let anyone tell me what to do!

2. Moon Daisy profile image79
      Moon Daisyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. My whole childhood they were (not so subtly) encouraging me to follow in my dad's footsteps with my career. Then when I left college and I hadn't a clue what to do next, I thought "why not?" Then when I hated it I realised why not. smile

4. anagham profile image60
    anaghamposted 11 years ago

I'm lucky that I have parents who support me all the way.They never forced me to choose the career they wanted.. I chose my career and  I'm very happy.

5. Cobrafan profile image78
    Cobrafanposted 11 years ago

My parents really pushed for me to get into computer science. I tried it. I did a year of college, landed a good paying job doing SEO and website development, then decided I despised what I was doing. I'm now applying to Police Academy to get my peace officer certification to become a cop. It's what I've wanted to do since I was a kid so it's what I'm going to do. Even if the pay isn't fantastic and my life is on the line every day, I want to spend my life bettering my community, helping people, and bringing criminals to justice.

Good for you, Cobrafan.  I wish you the utmost of luck in your new career.

2. Moon Daisy profile image79
      Moon Daisyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I also think that's really admirable Cobrafan. And if you've wanted to do it since you were a kid you'd kick yourself for not trying! Good luck with your certification and future career.

3. Cobrafan profile image78
      Cobrafanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks guys! Got a lot of work ahead of me just to get into academy, but it's my dream!

6. Bonitaanna profile image59
    Bonitaannaposted 11 years ago

I knew what I wanted to be at 4 years old.  A singer.  All my childhood my family made fun of me and laughed if I would sing.  I would go out in my dads shop and turn the radio on and go upstairs and sing over the radio and the airplane engines.  Many things and people got in the way of me having a singing career. So I went to UNR and signed up for Opera Theater not even knowing what an aria was.  Which is almost impossible to do. I was 42 years old by the time I got around to it.  I performed in 4 Operas and numerous musicals.  I have performed in many many churches and concerts with my husband Samuel.  He is a worldwide Opera performer.  I started too, old.  If I had started in my late teens or early 20's, the head of the music department told me that I would have had a very good career as a lead singer. So people don't listen to anyone out there who laughs at you and ridicules you.  Nine times out of ten they are just jealous of your God given talent. Also, over the years I have noticed that people who know what they wanted to be early in life, were given their talent early in life. As if it were programed in them. Even artist are given their talent to paint early in life. Or pianists, or Violinist's. People need to pay attention to that. If a child is given a talent, please don't try to change it.  It has been given to them by God!

To Bonitiaanna:  It is totally egregious to have soul destroying parents.  Soul destroying parents are the parents who inadvertently damage their child because they wish to pursue avenues that the parent deem to be unrealistic. Let the child be!

2. Bonitaanna profile image59
      Bonitaannaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

you are right gmwilliams. I am 69 and I still don't want to be anything but a singer. My first husband would not allow it. Now my teeth are preventing me for fullfulling my dreams. It hurts alot.  I have never really enjoyed any job I have had,

3. gmwilliams profile image84

This is so sad.  That is why children should be allowed to pursue their dreams and do what they LOVE!  Nothing is sadder or more hellish than have a job/career that one does not like.  You are never happy and live in a perpetual hell!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)