jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

How do you deal with a Bully?

1. milleramanda53 profile image80
    milleramanda53posted 5 years ago

How do you deal with a Bully?

2. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 5 years ago

I just wrote a Hub about this. 

http://sarragarrett.hubpages.com/hub/Su … d-Bullying

You have to stand up to the bully which is easier said than done.  Maybe my hub can help with your question.

3. visionandfocus profile image71
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

You need to bully-proof your child. Here's a hub I wrote on how to do that, among other things:

http://visionandfocus.hubpages.com/hub/ … r-Children

Also, be positive and know there is a solution to the problem. All the best.

4. Mom Kat profile image81
    Mom Katposted 5 years ago

There are many reasons why a bully is a bully.  In order to properly "deal" with a bully you need to know more about him/her.  There isn't just one single solution to this problem.

What people tend to overlook is that while the bully is hurting someone else, they are hurting inside themselves.  Their behavior is due to a need of theirs not being met and bullying others is a way to meet that need.

It could be a matter of wanting power, control, or love.  It could be a desire to be noticed, recognized, or respected.  There is just so much that goes into why people do what they do.

The best course of action to take is to try look at what the bully is saying or doing,  possibly speak with the bully or his/her parents (depending on age) to try to find the reason behind why it is happening.  Unless you get to the heart of the issue, it isn't going to stop.  You might get the bully to leave one person alone, but they will find someone new to attack and that isn't any better of a situation.

1. gmwilliams profile image87
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Excellent premise as usual, Momkat!  Deep analysis!

5. mikejhca profile image91
    mikejhcaposted 5 years ago

I deal with bullies by not giving them the response they want.  It worked when I was a child and so far as an adult it still works.  People that tried to bully me usually did not try it more than once.  If possible I ignore them.  I don't give them the mental response they are looking for because I try not to let them upset me.  If they are trying to hurt me I defend myself with as little violence as possible.

In high school I remember a person grabbing me.  They were much bigger than I was and he was not alone.  I just waited for him to let me go and he did.  There was not really a need for me to do anything.  Another time 3 people decided they were going to push me around.  I pushed back and they quickly gave up.  The last time I dealt with bullies by ignoring them.  They quickly lost interest.  It was not very long ago.

The main reason bullies have tried to pick on me is because I am short and skinny.  In those cases it helps to be strong.  I exercised a lot so I am strong. Bullies tend to look for people that are weak and scared.

working