How does taking care of a parent make you feel?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)
  1. ReneeDC1979 profile image59
    ReneeDC1979posted 10 years ago

How does taking care of a parent make you feel?

Our parents raise and took care of us.  So what happens when the tables are turned?

2. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 10 years ago

Renee, I'm taking care of my mother right now, but she has Alzheimer's and her Alzheimer's has me.  I feel sorry for her when I see how confused she is; I feel helpless when she begins to call me names; but I also feel that I am where I should be, doing what I should be doing.  I'm an only child.  I intend to give her all the care and respect she deserves--always!.

ReneeDC1979posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you MsDora.  I know how that is -I remember when my grandmother had it - after a while I think she only recognized my nephew- Keep pushing - thank you for your comments and for stopping by.  Keep hubbing!

2. shampa sadhya profile image76
      shampa sadhyaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My mother had this disease and she was taken care of by her children. Being her daughter I feel it is quite satisfying. It should not be avoided at any cost.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 10 years ago

Hi Renee,
    Taking care of parents is a responsibilty that must be met. It grieves me to see elderly people ignored and left w/o loving company and  health advocacy. Both my parents and in-laws are deceased, and I miss them greatly although both my husband and I feel relief that the responsibility of caregiving is over. Taking care of a parent brings all kinds of feelings including sadness, helplessness, anger, and frustration. My mother was able to afford an excellent tiered -care facility and made the decision to get in while she was still ambulatory. Thankfully, I was able to concentrate on overseeing the care, take her to doctor's appts, and spend quality time visiting because her mind was still sharp. My father-in-law wanted to stay in his own home, and this was more difficult because the time/travel demands were greater.Memory loss, stroke, and drug-induced confusion are some of the worst scenarios as is the pain of terminal illness. When ill or facing the end of one's life,  loving and un-rushed companionship is the most important thing one can offer.  It can be truly rewarding to share this time.  It is also necessary to address these issues w/ parents and make a medical directive before the need arises.

Thank you cat on a soapbox.  Very profound.  Thanks for your words of wisdom and for stopping by.  Keep hubbing!

4. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 10 years ago

Taking care of our parents should be a priority not only to give back your time to them but to let them know you love and want to take care of them in any way. Most parents are neglected when they get older it is not right for parents to be treated that way. Taking care of my parents would make me feel great getting to know them again is just part of life

Thank you DDE.  I agree more people should feel the need to take care of their parents.  Thanks for stopping by and keep hubbing!

5. twig22bend profile image73
    twig22bendposted 10 years ago

Taking care of my parents being one of the hardest things that I have done. Due to illness not so much age, the task was difficult. This not a complaint. I was not prepared for the change in their mental  status due to medical treatments and medication, pain and fear of the unknown.

I really had to adjust mentally  to the change in behavior and their coping with their illness, during this time.You really have to prepare yourself  mentally, the best you can in order to give the loving care that is needed.

I do know that I did my best to see that they were well taken care of properly, and would gladly do it again.. Patience and understanding is needed during this period  and time of their lives.

6. liesl5858 profile image81
    liesl5858posted 10 years ago

It would be a pleasure to look after my parents when they can't look after themselves. I already made up my mind that when my father becomes so old and can't look after himself, I have to go home and look after him. My father did a lot for me that I am so grateful about, my mother too when she was alive. My mother is dead and we have a loving stepmother who is with our father at present. I work as a carer here in England and the amount of old people living in their own homes that I have seen is a lot but they are struggling to get by. Even though they say they have children. I would hate to see my father uncared for in his old age.

Great points liesl5858.  Thanks for stopping by,and keep hubbing.

7. khmazz profile image70
    khmazzposted 10 years ago

Like Ms Dora, I too am taking care of my mother.  Most of the time it fills my heart with such joy that I am able to give back to her the love and care she has given to me all of my life.  Sometimes it is frustrating though, which I am sure she felt the same from time to time during my up bringing.  I love my mother with all of my heart and I will do everything in my power to care for her to the best of my ability because that is what she would do (and has done) for me my whole life.

8. wqaindia profile image37
    wqaindiaposted 10 years ago

Taking care is one thing but I could not make my mother free from paralytic pain. Some times we are help less creatures in front of God's wishes.

9. profile image58
    PoojaMehta0911posted 10 years ago

I love my mom and dad a lot.. They have always treated me like their princes and given me loads of love and care.. Today when my dad is unwell i feel bad for a while but the convince myself as its a part of life. I get internal satisfaction when i nurse ma dad and feel good, but cant see him in pain. I'll do my duty to my best and hope he recovers fast.

10. prosols profile image65
    prosolsposted 10 years ago

Our Parent can raise 10 children at the same time having the best care of them but 10 children cant raise or take care of single parent. we cant take care of our parents as they do but what ever we do (if we are doing) gives us the charm of paying back which for me is impossible for any child to pay back exactly what their parents give but at least a try gives eternal happiness to both ...

11. Nirmal MN profile image57
    Nirmal MNposted 10 years ago

It's an important responsibility for every children to take care of his/her parents after adolescent. I feel very happy to take care of my parents. Because, without my parents i am not here in this world. They caring me very much with lot of love. So i am having responsibility to take care of them.

http://www.classiblogger.blogspot.com

12. Abby Campbell profile image73
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

I haven't had to take care of parents yet, but I have a 25 year old daughter who is handicapped and in a nursing home. She has autism and encephalopathy (a degenerative brain disease). Because of this, I don't see much difference in taking care of her as I would an elderly parent. I still am her legal guardian who oversees her medical care and living arrangements. I'm saddened that I don't have the energy both physically and mentally to care for her at home. The mental instability she possesses is the most difficult part of taking care of her, and my heart bleeds for anyone who has to take care of elderly parents with Alzheimer's or dementia. I can only pray that my parents will continue to be healthy until their last day.

13. Cordelia Bay profile image61
    Cordelia Bayposted 10 years ago

Renee, My parents divorced when I was two...I was raised by my dad. At the age of 39, I began taking care of my mom and did so for a period of ten years until her passing in 2010. It was both a difficult and rewarding path. There are so many things and reasons why people act the way they do....one should not stand in judgment but seek understanding, wisdom and knowledge of the things that seem to have no understanding. My siblings thought that my mom was cruel and flat out mean...and, I must agree that at times she was! But, when the truth was revealed, she was just scared of being forgotten, alone and unloved. When she discovered that I was not going to let her walk through the remainder of her life alone....she was loving, considerate and giving and forgiving of all the past hurts that were created either by my actions or the lack of them.

I am truly grateful and thankful to have been given the opportunity to be in her life and both give and receive strength to one another.

1. twig22bend profile image73
      twig22bendposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I experienced similar reactions from my mom. At the end I realized that she had issues that she did not know how to deal with, which made her behave the way that she did with others. All is forgiven.

2. Cordelia Bay profile image61
      Cordelia Bayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's great. Both my parents are gone...I miss them and think that one should try to be more understanding.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)