jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Do you believe that adoptees should seek out their birth parents? Why or why not

1. Everyday Miracles profile image87
    Everyday Miraclesposted 4 years ago

Do you believe that adoptees should seek out their birth parents? Why or why not?

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 4 years ago

They should if they want to, not if they do not. It is different with different people. Some never have that need and I admire that, really, but sometimes these parent maybe have desperately searched for their child and the child would never know. I think it should be based on whether one can take whatever they find out and not be devastated if they find out bad things.

3. LupitaRonquillo profile image77
    LupitaRonquilloposted 4 years ago

I believe they should. No matter what has happened in the past, its healthier to KNOW where your roots are and grow from that point mentally rather than never knowing at all what family tree you came from.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

I think it should be up to the adoptee. Not every adopted person wants to know about their birth parents.

1. profile image57
      Robertr04posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree. My understanding is that my birth mother was a very young girl (14) and ran off with the father. My adoptive parents wanted me, I knew I was loved. They gave me every opportunity and if I could have picked my parents, I could have not done b

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

I have an adopted son. He was six weeks old when we brought him home. He knows what we know about his birth parents. We told him that when he was old enough (18) he could search for them. He thought about it and made some inquiries and dropped it. Later, Hurricane Katrina hit. We are from Louisiana and our son was born in New Orleans. All the records at the clerk of court office, including the sealed records were destroyed. There is a method in this state whereby the birth parents and the adopted child can fill out a request with the agency we used. They will then verify and assist in bringing everyone together. Under this method, no one gets a surprised knock at the door. My son made the request. Apparently, the birth parents have not. I do not think he is disappointed. He is 29 and has some health issues so he still lives with us.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I think if they are interested, it is a good idea to try and find them. But the adoptee must be aware that while they want to find their parents--the parents are not always wanting to be found and the resulting rejection can be harsh.

7. grumpiornot profile image71
    grumpiornotposted 4 years ago

This should be an entirely personal decision and anybody exploring this issue should be guided by their heart and not the advice of others.

My brother and I are both adopted (obviously from different biological parents as will become clear) - he has chosen to seek out his biological parents, while I have not yet. Neither of us regrets our decision and we are both entirely comfortable with that.

Thankfully, our adoptive parents supported our choices in both instances and I admire them for that. It is extremely brave of them to take in two little characters, raise them, love and educate them, and still support any interest in finding "other" parents! Unselfish love in the extreme!

working