What is the one thing you recall about your Mother's cooking?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (29 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image95
    sallybeaposted 10 years ago

What is the one thing you recall about your Mother's cooking?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8102660_f260.jpg

2. Cantuhearmescream profile image75
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years ago

That she didn't know how to undercook anything! That would seem like a good thing, but I grew up hating meat or leather... as it seemed to be in my house. The first time I had a steak that was medium, I said 'Wow, is this what steak is supposed to taste like?' There was never enough A-1 Sauce in the house!

sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is a lovely story Cat - my memories are slightly different, I can recall the smell of home made bread, pastries and masses of pickles and jams of every description.  With six kids she knew how to keep the wolf  from the door.  Thanks very much

2. Cantuhearmescream profile image75
      Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't get me wrong... my mother could bake like nobody's business; she'd make hundreds of Christmas cookies with over a dozen varieties and give them as gifts each year. She'd start baking the first week of December and not stop until Christmas.

3. sallybea profile image95

She sounds like an amazing Baker Cat - that kind of makes up for the leather!

3. Angela Blair profile image67
    Angela Blairposted 10 years ago

Our mom might have been the world's worst cook -- but diligently kept trying -- and failing. Her coffee was famous among the family -- it was so strong and bitter it could dissolve the spoon you stirred it with. Any casseroles, meats -- whatever -- she couldn't get the hang of she dosed with liberal amounts of pepper. What mom lacked in cooking skills she certainly gained in attitude and a sense of humor. On several holiday occasions she sent us  notes promising if we spent the holidays with she and pop she WOULDN'T do any of the cooking. That promise was a real drawing card!

Angela, You just have to love a women who can't cook!  I always say that a little humor goes a long long way.  i wonder if you ever kept one of those notes?  Such a lovely reminder.  Thank you for sharing your memories.

4. Escobana profile image76
    Escobanaposted 10 years ago

Her home made skewers of pork for the barbecue at the beach where we went to almost every weekend for about 10 years in a row. I can still smell them!

We lived at Curacao when I was young and I remember those years as a very easy life. No worries, tropical climate and great food every day from my mother.

Sounds wonderful Escobana, similar i expect to the 'Sosatjies' we ate in South Africa - marinated Lamb in a delicious sauce and then put onto skewers on the 'braai' or barbeque.  Thank you for reminding me of those lovely carefree days Escobana.

2. Escobana profile image76
      Escobanaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're very welcome! Carefree days are so precious when we grow up. As an adult we need to do our best to be carefree in a different way:-)

3. sallybea profile image95

Forgot to mention that I stopped in on Curacao about a year ago whilst on a cruise to the Bahamas.  That was an amazing holiday. How lovely to grow up there.

5. renegadetory profile image60
    renegadetoryposted 10 years ago

That my mother never really liked to cook.  She hated making dinner but because she was a stay at home mom and wanted to make our family dollars stretch, she made as much as she could from scratch.  I never ate pizza pops or kraft dinner when many of my other friends did, but she always had baked treats on the counter for us to eat like homemade pie, muffins or cookies which were really good.  She wasn't a bad cook, but if given the chance she would have rather done anything other than cook a meal.. and now that me and my sis are all grown up and have families of our own, my mom still doesn't like to cook!

I think that sometimes getting a meal on the table in those days was more about meat and veg, nothing like the processed foods that people eat today. I am sure those muffins and cookies were delicious though. Thanks renegadetory for your comment.

6. EJ Lambert profile image73
    EJ Lambertposted 10 years ago

She was never great with meats but nobody could beat her in the baking department.  Her coffee cake and fudge are legendary among family and friends.  They're so good we actually save them for special occasions.

I guess cooking has evolved quite a bit since the war years and still continues to - with some amazing techniques which would have seemed inconceivable in those days. Food sure can unite people. Thanks so much for your comment EJ Lambert

7. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

My mom, as much as I loved her, wasn't much of a cook. A lot of the meat was really over cooked.

Every so often she would make me Bisquick pancakes and we use the clear Karo syrup. If we were out of it she would make some syrup that I just loved but I have no idea how she did it or what was in it. I think just butter and sugar but  really do not know.

I guess she probably made some caramel from the butter and sugar - that's what Mum's did in those days, they made do, which is what made them pretty rare and special creatures.  Thanks for sharing your memory, it's amazing how taste can trigger one.

8. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

Heaven's sake.....there's surely more than ONE thing, I recall about my mother's cooking!   She was definitely a STAR, in the kitchen.  All of her meals were amazing, especially, Italian foods, of all kinds.
    My sister and I felt so lucky to be able to learn from our mother.  It was actually amazing, that Mom could simply NOT make a bad meal.  We learned by "watching," btw!   Only if we asked a question, would she explain something.
    Although we did carry on, our Mom's cooking-style & recipes, I have to admit, we never really felt our meals were quite as great as hers. 
    Delicious question!  smile

fpherj48 You were indeed fortunate as was I to have a mother who excelled in the kitchen.  There is nothing like the smell of cooking and the sound of people eating, laughing  and enjoying a meal together.  You have a fine example to follow. Thanks.

9. AUPADHYAY profile image57
    AUPADHYAYposted 10 years ago

I can never find the taste of the items cooked by my mother in any of the items cooked by anyone.

Well, that sounds interesting - wonder if it is a good or a bad taste!  I think we will have to leave it to our imagination Aupadhyay.  Thank you for your comment.

10. Claudia Marie profile image62
    Claudia Marieposted 10 years ago

My mom can make the best hamburgers, using simple seasoning, they taste so good, perhaps. because they are made with love.

Hello Claudia Marie, you said it all - hamburgers made with love!  There can be no ingredient more essential than that.  Such a lovely thing to say about your Mum's cooking.  Thank you for sharing with all of us.

11. peachpurple profile image80
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

my  mom is a great cook when comes to nyonya food. She cooks anything you can think of. She likes baking butter cakes but too oily for me. She doesn't know how to  bake cookies nor muffins. I love her spicy food the most. Too bad, she had stroke and unable to cook now. My dad takes over the cooking now.

I am sorry that your Mum cannot cook any longer.  I am glad that you have good memories of her cooking though - especially the Asian food - which I love.    My thoughts are with your family as they go through this difficult period.

12. hulah cagen profile image60
    hulah cagenposted 10 years ago

I would have to say-Made with love. Did not think about that too much at all the times but in retrospect that was the cohesive force which made every meal special because it was never done with any impatience or grudge. Never can quite replicate any of the recipes either smile

hulah cagen - love sure can be an important factor when it comes to cooking - doing it without grudge or impatience is something all of us would like to aspire to  - a rare quality to have -  thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us.

13. agusfanani profile image71
    agusfananiposted 10 years ago

My Mom is always good at changing  decently eaten food crumbs into something new and enjoyable with her skills in cooking. Last time she made a yummy cake out of breadcrumbs which people in the family liked it. By doing that, she can manage to minimize wasted food.

Your Mum sounds like a pretty inventive cook.  I so agree with her ethos, waste not want not - an expression I understand, having grown up in a large family.  It shocks me sometimes, how much food people actually do waste.  Thanks for your comment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)