Who has influenced you the most in your love for cooking?

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (52 posts)
  1. philzgrill profile image64
    philzgrillposted 12 years ago

In other words, what person has been the most inspiring in your cooking passion?

1. Fullerman5000 profile image57
      Fullerman5000posted 12 years agoin reply to this

My Uncle Dewayne. He has taught me the ways of the grill. I also have to give a big thanks to Bobby Flay. I have taken much advice from him to become a man with skills to grill.

2. sallieannluvslife profile image79
      sallieannluvslifeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My Nana was one of the best cooks in South Jersey...everyone knew about Eunice's pot pie, coconut cakes, turkey dinners, cole slaw, etc., etc...My Mom was a wonderful cook, too and I have just taken it a lot further by trying out any and every recipe that intrigues me....I will try any dish from any culture, bake any bread, try any recipe....I LOVE TO COOK!

philzgrillposted 12 years agoin reply to this

awesome, i love to cook too.  just give me a recipe, and let's go!

3. sarovai profile image74
      sarovaiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

my mom.

4. profile image0
      jenuboukaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thomas Keller, the man is a genius

5. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My biggest influence in cooking is my mom. I aspire to be as good a cook or better than she is.

6. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My Mom.

7. creativelycc profile image63
      creativelyccposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My mother was my inspiration. She loved to cook, was an excellent cook and she put her heart into it. I loved to watch her cook when I was a little girl and she began teaching me to cook when I was nine years old.

2. cmlindblom profile image70
    cmlindblomposted 12 years ago

Id have to say my dad on the grill. Im not the best baker or anything like that but I take pride in my grilling abilities. That I can relate back to my dad.

3. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

My mother who passed away last year. smile

4. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

My grandmother was a good cook and my aunt was very good at cooking and baking cakes. My cooking has also been influenced by marrying into a family with Italian connections and my holidays to Italy and Greece.

Growing fruit and veggies - pushes me to experiment to use them up, when we get a glut, rather than letting them go to waste.

Italian cooking is one of my passions.  It's the best!

5. profile image0
    feelhungryposted 12 years ago

My mother. :-) She is the best cook in the world.

1. profile image56
      shell20110309posted 12 years agoin reply to this

my grandmother is a good cook,she  always make delicious food.

6. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

My mom, who let me put a kitchen chair against the stove because I couldn't reach it to cook.  My Campfire Girl name was Pashuta.  Meaning, "To be a cook".  I hope it means that . . .

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

My mom, my grandmother, and my aunt.

8. pamtime22 profile image62
    pamtime22posted 12 years ago

My grandmother and my mother's old Betty Crocker cook book.  My grandmother let me help in her kitchen from the time I was a little tot!  She didn't care that my biscuits were as flat as pancakes.  She still served them at dinner time.  Everyone would pretend they were excellent.  LOL!

9. maven101 profile image72
    maven101posted 12 years ago

My grandfather and his brother, my great uncle ... These guys would try to outdo each other by having a different ethnic cuisine every other Sunday...They were both accomplished and very talented chefs that prepared food that even the kids liked...I still have all their recipes from those feasts...

The food was terrific, but I recall with affection the weekly gathering of our large family brought together to share the great food, talk, and just catch up on everyone...That was the real blessing of home cooking...

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And it still is!! Amen!

2. philzgrill profile image64

awesome story.  I like the anticipation of cooking and the relationships involved.  People love to eat good food, food that is fresh and prepared well.  Love the story!

10. lockgirl profile image60
    lockgirlposted 12 years ago

My grandmother on my fathers side. She lived nest door to us and I was always over at her house helping her bake and cook.  I learned all of the Norwegian cooking from her

11. nikipa profile image62
    nikipaposted 12 years ago

My mom and my grandma (mother's side). Probably still have to learn many things but they managed to give me a lot by now.

12. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5483351_f248.jpg

She is my hero! I am addicted to Rachel Ray, and my husband would marry her if I ever die. He doesn't mind the fact that she's already married.

We eat Rachel Ray almost every day!

13. dipsmi profile image64
    dipsmiposted 12 years ago

my husband.I learned cooking just for him.Though he never complained that i didnt knew cooking before marriage.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The galloping gourmet.

14. classicalgeek profile image79
    classicalgeekposted 12 years ago

My parents, who taught me about the science of cooking; my grandmother, who was always experimenting with new recipes; and Graham Kerr and Julia Child, who taught me that it's okay to make huge messes in the kitchen!

15. MyMastiffPuppies profile image58
    MyMastiffPuppiesposted 12 years ago

Both my mother and my dad. My mother was an awesome cook! My dad was the outside cook, no matter how simple, food was always delicious when cooked outdoors!

16. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

My father began teaching me at age 7. wink

17. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 12 years ago

My parents. My dad started making cookies with us when we were still toddlers, and both of them always encouraged us to help in the kitchen. They're both good cooks in slightly different ways (Dad fancier, Mom homier), so my sister and I learned a lot from them. (My brother doesn't eat, so he never really bothered to learn much cooking, though he at least knows the basics.) I take more after Mom and my sister takes more after Dad, but we're both pretty darn good cooks, and I'd even say my sister is an excellent one.

kerryg
      very interesting, my house I grew up in is just the oppposite.  my mom is the very meticulous cook and my dad the marinade and salsa guy.  they both are very good and enjoy watching what comes out of the kitchen.  my sister is a great cook and makes stuff up on the fly, and it turns out fantastic.  She makes some mean pies too.

18. kerlynb profile image89
    kerlynbposted 12 years ago

Has got to be my dad! smile If home cooking rocks, then he has got to be a star, a chef with rock star fame.  Braggart me smile It's just that my dad learned how to cook for his whole family at a young age.  He had no formal training whatsoever.  He just followed his instincts in cooking.  By the time he settled down,  he was already very good at it.  He can make the great omelets, yummy gelatins, and the not-so-easy viands with plenty of ingredients. He can make some dishes just by knowing how they taste and look. Oh by the way, his fried rice - supposedly mundane - is really something!

19. CyclingFitness profile image90
    CyclingFitnessposted 12 years ago

I'd like to say it was my mums cooking growing up however it was only some of the pasta dishes she sometimes made up that really inspired me

Now my love of food is from my travels. I love to go new places and try something new. I've just been out to Marrakech and up to West Coast Scotland where the seafood is delightful

20. chicco82 profile image60
    chicco82posted 12 years ago

If I were to asked the same question  5 years ago I would have answered nobody had influenced me,it was just my personal craving to taste new dishes that had inspired me to cook, but recently things has changed I would love to explore more about food and great cooking for me to be able to serve my parents the perfect dish they might haven't imagined they could taste in their whole life!

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cool.... Maybe you could cook up a perfect bio and avatar also.. and that might help you achieve your goal, as others here with serious cooking skills and knowledge, will know that you are serious enough to merit their help.
      Welcome to HP.

1. chicco82 profile image60
        chicco82posted 12 years agoin reply to this

oh thank you!, I'm a new member and still exploring here in this forum,If I get familiar with the keys I will cook up my bio and ava soon! smile...Thanks!

You are welcome... Nice Avatar too... try and try and you will! smile

1. chicco82 profile image60
            chicco82posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks much! yeah~try and try and try and try !!smile

21. rLcasaLme profile image69
    rLcasaLmeposted 12 years ago

i could say no one but my own desire for better food. So far, I don't have a particular cook or chef for preference. I only look at recipes.

22. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

It's hard to say any one person because I grew up to see relatives from both side of my family with restaurants including my mother, two of my aunts and two uncles so I guess my love for cooking started there. As I grew older and watched cooking shows on TV I love Tom Callicio, Chef Bertolli, Booby Fray (most recent), Gordon Ransay. The ones before that I can't remember at all but the Food channel has some inspiration for my love of modern food and world cuisine.

23. eatlikenoone profile image61
    eatlikenooneposted 12 years ago

I would have to say Alton Brown. My family wasn't much into cooking, so it was by watching him that I learned most of what I know now.

24. Claudia Tello profile image67
    Claudia Telloposted 12 years ago

Mmm….. you got me thinking…. I have no idea where my love for cooking came from because I did not have a role model cook in my life. I just started cooking when I left my parent’s home and went to live on my own; that’s when I discovered that I was very enthusiastic about. I became more and more interested and revealed a new lifelong passion.

25. Eliminate Cancer profile image60
    Eliminate Cancerposted 12 years ago

Interestingly, my greatest influence was a few friends who are chefs, not because they inspired me, but because I didn't always like the things they invented, it helped me get over my fear of cooking.   Like it was okay to experiment and not have everything turn out perfectly.

26. macquelinedc profile image61
    macquelinedcposted 12 years ago

My parents and sisters because we get to bond and chitchat when we cook together. They are the people who inspired me to be a good cook and to appreciate different kinds of food. They are the ones that gave me my first set of cook books that started my collection. Until now, they know that the best gift they can give me is a beautifully illustrated cook book. smile

27. profile image0
    antmarcherposted 12 years ago

My mom influenced me! She is a wonderful cook and at around age eleven or twelve, I became interested in it, and she was always great about letting me practice- whether her clean kitchen became a disaster area or if I filled it with smoke from a recipe gone awry. She never complained and was always fascinated with every new concoction I created. Today, I love to cook and bake and am the first to try a new recipe. So, thanks Mom!

28. wellnessguidesja profile image60
    wellnessguidesjaposted 12 years ago

My traditional cooking skills were learned from my mother and grandmother. But healthy cooking, which I am seriously trying to revive in my life, was learned from surfing websites and watching live demos on you tube and vimeo.

29. vespawoolf profile image92
    vespawoolfposted 12 years ago

I'd have to say my dad. He doesn't cook, but his passion for food is contagious. When I was growing up, we frequented gourmet restaurants with cuisine from all over the world. He was always looking for something fresher and and more delicious. I inherited his passion for food and it's translated into passion for cooking.

1. Disturbia profile image62
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is awesome.

30. EuroCafeAuLait profile image78
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 12 years ago

My husband's best friend's wife, Marga.  Everything that comes out of her kitchen is delicious.  She inspired me to put my passion into cooking, which is about the only way to get consistently terrific results.  Instead of a task, let it be a creation.  That was the turning point for me.

31. Freak007 profile image59
    Freak007posted 12 years ago

oh thank you so much for sharing
    and please sense i am new to hubpages i need some followers can you follow me guys i'll follow you back thanks

32. Freak007 profile image59
    Freak007posted 12 years ago

oh thank you so much for sharing
    and please sense i am new to hubpages i need some followers can you follow me guys i'll follow you back thanks

Hey Freak....

If you expect people to take you seriously here.. then STOP Spamming the forums and Others Hub articles! sad

If you are from where you state you are, then I'm sure a lot of people here (including myself) would probably like to know about your country, culture and lifestyle. So this place is one that you should RESPECT.. not make an idiot of yourself by community standards!  Keep in mind that you are representing your country here and should be proud to do so to people in this community who all represent their different countries.... So, maybe you could educate us in the amazing history of your country, your people, their dreams, your writing talents!

Always Remember mate.... You get only ONE opportunity to make a First Impression!  Make sure... you make a positive one huh?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)