jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Why highly and/or advanced educated parents tend to be

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Why highly and/or advanced educated parents tend to be

more tolerant  and forgiving of their teenage children's rebellion than their less educated counterparts?

2. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

If that is true then I think it would have to do with the educated mind being able to more clearly see the bigger picture.  The more educated we are the more the world seems to make sense and we realize there is more than just our little corner. We learn that "this too shall pass."

3. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

i do agree that educated parents are broad minded and not fickle minded at all. Those who are non educated parents are brought down by ancestors with stupid superstitions and back dated practices. Children will never improve themselves.

gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You're right. Less educated parents are threatened by teenage rebellion. They contend that such is wrong and disobedient. They tend to severely punish such teenagers, believing in strict obeideince.

4. connorj profile image77
    connorjposted 4 years ago

Perhaps one should consider that it may relate to the fact that it appears that most higher education institutes are significantly liberal in their philosophies and may just be influencing their students significantly. Thus, it may result in being more tolerant to this teenaged rebellion and more accepting...

5. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 4 years ago

Education brings with it understanding and with understanding comes trust. Educated parents tend to trust their children and spend time with them intellectually as well as emotionally. There will be exceptions where teens will constantly rebel regardless of their parents' education level, and the phrase, 'You can chose your friends but not your family' really comes into play in these situations. Overall though I feel education does play a part in being able to respect your teens.

It certainly does.Highly educated parents are more open minded and understanding regarding their teens rebellion & other forms of experimentation while less educated parents are unaccepting of such things.They see any these things as affronts.

6. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 4 years ago

I think that education helps keep the mind open to change and alternative ways of thinking or, at least,  feeds a desire to research areas of uncertainty. I still believe that good parenting comes from common sense too.

7. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Educated parents know  better and do better, the less educated parents often are old-fashioned and won't see any ting form their teens point of view.

Correct, less educated parents are oftentimes more reactionary, backwards, and quite authoritarian in their childrearing approaches. Think of Archie Bunker.