jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What creates overprotective parents?

1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

What creates overprotective parents?

2. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

I am a parent and am not  an over protective kind, I do know of over protective parents, The age of parents has lots to do with that behavior, the fear of something happening or going out of control can make parents over protective, and not forgetting the over hearing of other incidents from other parents  about their children this can make  the overprotective parent feel insecure as well.

3. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

I think what creates overprotective parents are a mixture of contributing factors.  1) Fear;  2)  Feeling the need to control; 3)  Life experiences; 4) Guilt.

1) Fear is created in parents that have been through bad emotional experiences, possibly through raising other children, or possibly through their own childhood.
    2) The need to control others is perpetuated in parents that have lost control in their lives, perhaps in different context or situations other than child rearing.
    3) Life experiences dictate to fearful parents who feel out of control when things don't go as planned or unexpected situations arise that they cannot fix.
    4) Guilt inhibits a parent's rational response to certain situations that have proven to be toxic to them emotionally.
    5) It takes a parent that is willing to accept that change needs to start with them before they will let go of the fear, control, and guilt to which their life experiences have held them hostage and dictate how they raise their children.
    After all, everyone is a unique person with their own journey.

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

There are a few things that create them. The parents could have been close to out of control when they were children, but are hypocrites and refuse their children to have the same freedoms as they did. Or they could be set in their religion or their mind set their entire life and be overprotective out of their beliefs. The latter happens occasionally in the southern states or locations in the middle of nowhere.

5. Cordelia Bay profile image59
    Cordelia Bayposted 4 years ago

In my experience as a parent...I think the overprotective parent wants to  spare their children some of the hardships that they themselves experienced. Experienced has shown me that no matter how much that desire controls one's thoughts....we can not stop our children from making their own choices. But, somehow we must overcome our own fears and have faith in the things we teach our children to make the right choices after they have made some wrong ones. Presently, my children are not an active part of my life....but, I still love them and always will.