jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What steps should affluent parents take in order to assure that their children b

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

What steps should affluent parents take in order to assure that their children become highly

successful, creative, self-motivated, and independent adults?

2. ALUR profile image65
    ALURposted 4 years ago

I'm not sure if it makes a diff if one is affluent or not: parents provided they give space for creativity and confidence will help a child become responsible adults. The world we live in encourages little communication and our babysitters are computers and television.

Also each child carries with them their own unique attributes. One may be goal-oriented and the other simply content to "be". THe parent that allows this individuality and teaches morality and responsibility at a young age has a better chance of well rounded children.

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

I think the biggest thing is to teach responsibility and teach them to value what they have and to value the sense of accomplishment that comes from working for something. 

I spoil my kids sometimes, admittedly - smile but, I also let them work for things so that they understand that we don't just print money when we want something.  When my boys have to work to earn the gizmo or the money to buy things, they tend to be more mindful of it. They also get a sense of satisfaction that comes from earning it - not just having it given to them. 

I also encourage them to focus on and never judge those less fortunate, because perhaps those people are having a hard time or didn't have the support they needed.

When it comes to creativity I make them turn off the TV and games. They have limited access. It's amazing how fast a bored mind will find something to do and usually that involves creativity with my boys because they are both very artistic.

4. DDE profile image26
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Children need to be taught not to be rude, to be polite and avoid conflict, to treat others with respect, works both ways. Be confident, and positive about life.  Communication is key to all relationships it allows children to speak better and know more about themselves. Be responsible for who they are and not what they can't be, approach goals and do their best at their achievements.