jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (14 posts)

Instinctively, would you save your dog or your spouse first?

1. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 4 years ago

Instinctively, would you save your dog or your spouse first?

I am asking what you would do, who is more important in a situation like this whether or not you think the spouse or dog are in relative safety or danger at the moment. I ask after reading the story about the man who saved the dog from a sinking boat and then went back for his wife.

2. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

Sounds like a happy marriage wink I would definitely, as much as I love my pets, save my family members first. I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Express10posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I was shocked when I read that story and the happy marriage comment came to my mind as well. I love animals but in that situation, Fido would be last on the list.

3. jenniferlynn78 profile image60
    jenniferlynn78posted 4 years ago

Common sense is natural here! I would naturally save my spouse and not a dog!  My dog has passed and I loved her but however, people come first. We can replace a dog even if some say a dog is not replaceable, as they are! Yes, the dog won't be the same but the human life is more complex than that. We can replace a dog and the same breed and chances are that they will be almost the same if the same breed is chosen with a few differences.  However, people cannot be replaced and we could find another mate but we will never find what we lost in another. It's very different, in fact. Let's spin is this way: If the boat was sinking would you save your dog before your child, sister, brother, mother, father, ect., the answer would be no. I left the spouse out of this because you asked the question already and this question rephrased opens the door to other close minded people!

4. moviesreviews profile image79
    moviesreviewsposted 4 years ago

I would definitely save my spouse of course. I am shocked that this would be a debate. I am positive however; their are people out there who will actually save there dog more than there spouse. Its a matter of relationship I believe. I think some folks despise there spouse and would therefore go for the dog instead.

5. sarmack profile image61
    sarmackposted 4 years ago

Definitely the dog... there is no spouse!

6. lois sunday profile image60
    lois sundayposted 4 years ago

that was quite shocking. I would definitely save my husband/family or any person first before my pet.

7. bernard.sinai profile image80
    bernard.sinaiposted 4 years ago

It would depend on the situation and how the dog and wife respond. For example, if it was on water and the wife could swim better than the dog then I'd save the dog and come for her.

8. Man of Strength profile image79
    Man of Strengthposted 4 years ago

I'd save my spouse without question. Animals do have survival instincts.

9. rebeccamealey profile image85
    rebeccamealeyposted 4 years ago

That is a funny question! If the answer is dog then heaven help the spouse. Other than this, I truly can't answer the question.

10. Cheri Barrett profile image59
    Cheri Barrettposted 4 years ago

My spouse.  Spouse gets saved first and then the dog.  You don't marry your dog.  Kind of a silly question.  I didn't know about the man who saved his dog first and then went back for his wife.  He might need a good divorce attorney some day.  But it would be safe to say he's gonna get the dog. 

Your spouse is the chosen one; the person you make love to for the rest of your life (unless you're a cheater) and the person you build a home with, have children.  You can't do these things with your dog.  The dog is a family pet and it's place is secondary to the spouse and children. 

It might be a different answer if the question were who do you save first, your spouse or your child?

11. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

My husband and I have had this conversation and if the house catches fire it is his job to save the pets and pictures and my job to save the kids. If it was just the two of us, honestly, I would expect him to save himself as we both tried to save the dogs. Of course if for some reason he was unable to save himself I would assure his safety and call for the dogs as I did. These are things that should be discussed. We never know when something will happen. My dogs ARE my family, but in my house it is well known that my priorities are as followed children then husband (again I would expect him to save himself if capable) then pets.

Express10posted 4 years agoin reply to this

You're a smart lady to have had a discussion about this. In light of this story, I think more people may be prompted to.

12. susanzheng profile image79
    susanzhengposted 4 years ago

Certainly, I will save my spouse first. I think anyone who is healthy mentally would save spouse first even in an ordinary marriage.