jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Would you be able to pull the life plug of a loved one?

1. Alphadogg16 profile image91
    Alphadogg16posted 4 years ago

Would you be able to pull the life plug of a loved one?

If a family member/loved one had a life threatening accident/health condition which left them in a comatose state & the Doctor explained there is no chance if them coming out of that state, would you pull the plug?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

Absolutely!
    In my opinion it would be selfish of me to keep someone plugged to machine who will never resume a conscious life simply so that I have a place where I can still visit them physically.
    The vast majority of people in my family have already had the "what if" discussion and none of them wants to exist without brain function.

3. catmalone profile image77
    catmaloneposted 4 years ago

No because I feel it's not for me to make that call.  Sometimes doctor's are not always right.

4. Tbland profile image61
    Tblandposted 4 years ago

I doubt it. I'm in my mid life as it is now and my wife is approaching it. In the past few months. we have heard of lots of spouses losing their husbands or wives after so many years of marriage. I lay next to my wife at night and I can't possibly imagine burying her or having a funeral , selfish as that sounds when you invested in a relationship its just not that easy to do. We have a hard time as it is trying to discuss funeral arrangements while we're alive and the point of that is so that no one is left without knowing what to do for the other person's last wishes. It's incredibly, hard I would have to be seriously pushed into it or the doctors would have to do it. I don't think I have the strength to do such a thing.

5. Marina7 profile image79
    Marina7posted 4 years ago

I would pray about it and I would ask God to make the decision for me because God is the one who gives life and He says not to kill so no I would not do that. I would ask God to not let my loved one suffer and to just do what God thinks is right.

6. jlpark profile image86
    jlparkposted 4 years ago

If I knew their wishes - of course.  I'm not saying it would be easy, or anything of the sort, but if it was their wishes, then I would take comfort in knowing that.

I know the wishes of my mother, and even after caring for people who were recovering from injuries that at one point had been deemed "unsurvivable" and were going to be 'turned off" - and are then able to return home with just a small amount of lost function - I still would honour my mother's wishes.  We've even discussed it - my step-father and I know what she wants, as does my younger sister. HOWEVER, I do hope it's never something we have to do.

working