jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What would you do if your child came out as gay?

1. jlpark profile image85
    jlparkposted 3 years ago

What would you do if your child came out as gay?

What would you do? What would you say? Why would you do or say that?
    I'm asking this from a neutral POV - I will delete comments that disparage anyone's honesty about what they would do/say - I am looking at a series of hubs, and would like people to be honest, and not feel judged (also - I will be asking the same question in several different places on here to get an good cross section)

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

I would accept it so long as he was happy and then, in all honesty, encourage him to move away from the area where we currently reside because it's full of very closed minded people. Here I would be afraid that he would be targeted and I would want to see him go to an area where he would be at less risk of being harmed for simply being who he is. 

I love my sons as the unique individuals they are and I would embrace it without judgment.  It isn't my place to tell my sons who they should or shouldn't love.  It's their life and as a good mother; I need to be willing to allow them to make their own choices.

1. jonnycomelately profile image82
      jonnycomelatelyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

+++

2. jlpark profile image85
      jlparkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your answer Christin - I appreciate your honesty.

3. junkseller profile image86
    junksellerposted 3 years ago

I don't know how to answer this. Mostly because it wouldn't ever happen. My kid would never be given a reason to not have me know, so there would be no coming out, and if it was something they suddenly discovered one day, there would still be no reason to say anything. Bring a girl home, bring a boy home, to me it is just bringing a human home.

As for others coming out, I also wouldn't really know what to say. I mean if it was difficult for them, I'd reassure them, but as for me, it essentially amounts to someone saying that they like to sing in the shower or don't like broccoli. Be happy, be in love, I'll leave the obsession with crotch analyzing to the barbarians.

Thanks for your answer junkseller.

4. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

i have never thought of that since my son is only 7 years old, it will take another 10-20 years to think about that. Generally, Chinese families do not accept gay kids at home. Why? Its consider a shame , disgrace and ill manner

It may not take that long for them to figure out (if they are) - just as a note. I understand what you mean re Chinese way. I'll mannered? Interesting. Think 10yrs ahead - what would you do?

5. Penny G profile image73
    Penny Gposted 3 years ago

I would love them just the same. I would not react except to so oh ,OK, and hug them.

working