jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Does a child ever forget after seeing her parents 'doing it' in the bedroom?

1. Reelo profile image60
    Reeloposted 3 years ago

Does a child ever forget after seeing her parents 'doing it' in the bedroom?

If your child walks in on her parents being intimate/naked at the age of 2 years, is it true that she will always remember that scene? Or do they eventually forget?

2. favored profile image38
    favoredposted 3 years ago

This is something that I've dealt with and have given several answers depending on the child's age and situation.

The younger the child the less details they will remember unless being coached or prompted. However, if the parent made a big deal out of it and drew their attention to the situation it increases their "need to know" and they may inquire about what was being done.  If you simply covered up and addressed the child as to the reasons he/she entered the room, they would stay focused on what they wanted and not what they viewed.

You can measure this.  Did the child ask you any questions that you have to come up with an answer as soon as she saw you?  Are they still asking questions? If they aren't, then they didn't count it as something too unusual and not worth focusing on in their mind.

If the same situation happened to an older child, the more they would recall the event and probably remember most of the details.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image60
      Lady Guinevereposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I like your answer and to add to it, it would depend on how and what you have taught your children about sex.  That would also depend on the age too.

2. Reelo profile image60
      Reeloposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the clarity. I had that experience a few years back, but fortunately, the subject never came up and we also learned to ALWAYS lock the door. Thank u very much

3. The Examiner-1 profile image75
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

I doubt it. Even if it is not in their conscious, it will be in their sub-conscious, and something - other than hypnosis - may happen or be said to trigger it. At least what they kept in their minds perhaps not all of it.

4. profile image71
    win-winresourcesposted 3 years ago

Reelo-

I tried to answer this a moment ago, but good old hubpages failed again and my answer was, apparently, lost.  I will try to reproduce my response.

What you are talking about is the old (ancient) theory in psychiatry from theorists like Freud and Jung.  "Witnessing the primal scene" and thereby traumatizing the child.

In fact, a small child has no particular interest in your "doing it" or your doing anything else for that matter.  They have probably showered with (the same sex parent) and theirs, or your, genitals are just there like anything else.    "Wrestling around"  is normal play.

What you are feeling is your own (and unnecessary) guilt.

Next time lock the door and forget about it.

1. Reelo profile image60
      Reeloposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your response. Okay well, it was a lesson for us and thank God he never said or asked anything about it. Locked doors, done!

5. chaitanyasaivb profile image77
    chaitanyasaivbposted 3 years ago

Some people will have great memory, which can make them, remember each and every scene, that had ever happened in their lives. So, We were not sure, whether she will remember it or not. It depends up on her memory.

working