jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

As a parent, would you rather have your children FEAR, RESPECT, or LOVE you?

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

As a parent, would you rather have your children FEAR, RESPECT, or LOVE you?

Explain your premise.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8194656_f260.jpg

2. Shadrack2 profile image50
    Shadrack2posted 2 years ago

Respect and love. Fear will only make them dishonest with me.

3. Zubair Ahmed profile image80
    Zubair Ahmedposted 2 years ago

Three interesting characteristics you pick.  Each child should love and respect his or her parent's.  But when they are small they should also have a little bit of fear in them which will help keep them from being naughty.  I still think my dad or mum will be very angry with me if I do something, that in itself keeps from doing things that is not good

4. caranoelle profile image85
    caranoelleposted 2 years ago

Respect; within respect comes love and fear. If you parent with respect and teach children to respect, the rest will naturally follow.

5. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12859908_f260.jpg

During early childhood years I believe fear and respect tend to be one and the same for most children. Essentially there is "the threat" or (fear) of serious repercussions for disobeying that keeps them in line.
    Generally speaking their love comes with maturity and understanding the motives, sacrifices, and efforts their parents made to encourage them to become productive self-reliant citizens.
    Long ago I once watched an episode of "Super Nanny" where a mother took away a 5 year old boy's toy after he kept beating it against the table even though she asked him to stop several times.
    The boy then slapped her and spit in her face! (She cried)
    Lets just say if I had ever done that to my mother I would not be sitting here answering this question today!
    I grew up in a era where the goal of most parents was not to be their children's best friend. They wanted to prepare them for adulthood.
    Naturally there were vacations, playtime, and other various fun outings but (you always knew) as a child that you and your parents were not "equal". It was not a "democracy".
    There was a definite "chain of command" within the household.

6. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

If only one, I would say respect.
    Fear can turn to hate and interfere with relationships. And with young children, your kids won't automatically obey you when you say "don't touch that!" if they love you, but will if they respect you.

working