What would you do if some one left a baby on your doorstep?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (35 posts)
  1. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

I asked this in the ? section and they removed it because it prompted a major discussion!

1. Dovay Lee profile image39
      Dovay Leeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For me, i must feel sorry for him and the society. I will pick him up. At this moment,i have no ability to raise him for i already have a daughter. I think I will send him to the charity house for the children.

2. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Transfer it to the next doorstep!

3. dingdondingdon profile image61
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

Take him in and raise him, but I would make him sleep in the cupboard under the stairs and treat him like dirt, just giving him hand-me-downs to wear instead of ever buying him his own clothes and forcing him to do all the chores. Then when some weirdo Scottish school started sending him letters I'd throw them away and not let him read them until a huge giant of a man came and broke up our vacation to tell him, "Yer a wizard, 'Arry."

1. thirdmillenium profile image60
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And I thought I was mean transferring the baby to my neighbor yikes

1. skyfire profile image78
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In case if you failed to get the hint - it's the story of 'harry potter'.

1. thirdmillenium profile image60
          thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good God Voldemort! How stupid of me! sad

4. Saloca profile image87
    Salocaposted 13 years ago

I'd start looking for the 'punk'd cameras!

5. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

I get babies on my doorstep all the time! In fact I just officially adopted another one last week, sweet little peaches and cream colored dear. So skinny! His back bone still sticks up after a month and his haunches still seem hollow, but we'll get him fattened up soon enough. Large male, only 9 pounds! Some booboos here and there, but those will heal. He's got one blue eye, and one almost reddish, and he's a mute. His mouth moves, but no meow comes out. He purrs louder than a mac truck, however.

Obviously someone abandoned the little guy, and he clearly had no clue how to survive in the wild on his own. There are field mice all over! So he shouldn't have been starving. Anyway, he may not have field smarts, but he sure knows how to show his appreciation. I think boy cats are just naturally more lovable than female cats most of the time.

At any rate, he's far from the first baby to show up uninvited on my doorstep. I think the local pound draws them all a map.

1. optimus grimlock profile image59
      optimus grimlockposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ya my wife took in a cat when she appeared on our doorstep! I new there was nothing I could say to make her change her mind so I just excepted it!

6. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

i would keep it and report to police and take things forward from there...

1. wilrhoades profile image56
      wilrhoadesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We have the same thought.

7. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I think the law requires people to report it to the police.  It's child abandonment, and it might be considered endangering a child.  Besides, the person who'd leave a baby that way might be suffering from bad postpartum depression or psychosis, or might otherwise be in serious trouble and need help.  Between not wanting to be charged with something like "unlawfully harboring the product of abandonment" (or something like that), and thinking the person who did it must be in desperate need of help - I'd call the police.  (Now, if the person knocked on my door and simply asked me to help, or even asked me to care for the baby - that would be a different, and legal, thing.)

8. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

My son did the same, he brought a lost she-cat, like 10 months old no more. I had no choice, between pleading eyes of my son and the cat's I just had to adopt it. 15 years later she is still with me and so is my son. No one wants to move out!

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Homegirl, at least you always have company. lol

@OP- if it were a baby, then I would follow local laws and report it to the police. If it were a cat or dog, then I would check to see if it had tags for ownership. If no tags, then bring it to a local animal shelter, to find out if it has an embedded ID tracker. If not, then the shelter would keep it, because I already have two cats and have no space or need for another animals in my apartment.

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You've got it right as usual Cags, I Do have company. I often dream about some peace and quiet, not for me I guess. Two kids, two cats, two jobs, one sick husband (imagine having two???); at least he does not live with me, but I have to visit him every other weekend and "enjoy"his attitude. Well, I am not complaining, could be worse.

9. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

write 'return to sender' and put it back in the mailbox

1. writinginalaska profile image75
      writinginalaskaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

10. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

What would you do if some one left THIS baby on your doorstep?

http://hubpages.com/u/3885977.jpg

1. lmoynihan082 profile image59
      lmoynihan082posted 13 years agoin reply to this

HAHAHA.......emmmm

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL< that is scary..

for the q from the OP, well, I will report it to the police, for the meantime I will take care of it!!

2. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

not try breastfeeding thats for sure yikes

11. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Hey!  That's my cousin's baby!  Where do you get a picture of our sweet little Dillon?

12. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

Instead of abandoning their babies, women here in Germany can take them to a babyklappe. I've looked it up on Wikipedia to find out what it's called in English, and here it is:

'A baby hatch is a place where mothers can bring their babies, usually newborn, and leave them anonymously in a safe place to be found and cared for. This kind of arrangement was common in mediaeval times and in the 18th and 19th centuries, when the device was known as a foundling wheel. Foundling wheels were taken out of use in the late 19th century but a modern form, the baby hatch, began to be introduced again from 1952[1] and since 2000 has come into use in many countries, notably in Germany where there are around 80 hatches and in Pakistan where there are over 300[1] today.'

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are "Safe Haven" places in some US states too - places babies can be left with no questions asked.  Apparently, though, not all states limit the age of the baby, so people have been known to drop off big kids.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, the Fire Station as I recall.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting about the big kids. I didn't know that. smile

1. Lisa HW profile image62
          Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

From the looks of this, http://articles.cnn.com/2008-11-14/us/n … ?_s=PM:US, it was going on in 2008.  Maybe they've changed their laws by now.

13. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

My grandparents threatened to sell us to the Gypsies whenever we were exceptionally naughty. I always rather thought that might not be so bad, but if I found an infant on my doorstep, I would very carefully check for retreating hoof-beats from the Gypsies' wagons first, and then find another home for the child very quickly. If the child is too naughty for the Gypsies I doubt I could handle it either.

big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

14. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I would put the baby on somebody elses doorstep immediately, ring the door bell, and run away as quickly as possible. I would choose a nice front door though, so I am not all bad!

15. Bellamie profile image59
    Bellamieposted 13 years ago

Now see!  I tried to tell my daughter that someone left her sister on our front porch and we HAD to keep her.  This after my daughter asked me to take baby sister back where I got her!

16. ellahall2011 profile image61
    ellahall2011posted 13 years ago

I'll report it to the authorities.

1. Bellamie profile image59
      Bellamieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL!!    :-)  Well, ya'll know  that i'm kiddin' around!  Right??!

17. lmoynihan082 profile image59
    lmoynihan082posted 13 years ago

I'd alert the authorities that would be the right way to go about it.

18. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

I would so want to keep it, i love babies..... if we found the mother, maybe she would let me look after it for her.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)