Potato curry with 5 seeds (Aaloo Panchforan)
When I first heard about this famous Indian recipe of East India (mainly Bihar) , I was curious to find how will it taste as it was prepared without the use of curry powder. The term Panchforan basically is a mixture of fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, onion seeds and cumin seeds. Some people prefer to use carom seeds instead of cumin seeds. This mixture can also be made in home, however this is found in the local grocery stores. It is said to taste better with mustard oil but I preferred to cook it with the usual vegetable oil. The preparation is really easy and the husband seemed delighted after eating it!
- Potato 8 medium sized - cubed
- Tomato 3 medium sized chopped in small pieces (you can use tomato puree instead of this)
- Oil 4 tsp
- Panchforan ( a mixture of fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, onion seeds and cumin seeds)
- Red chili powder - as per taste
- Chili as per taste
- Coriander powder 1/ 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/ 2 tsp
- Cumin powder1/ 2 tsp
- water as needed
- Salt as per taste
- Cilantro for garnishing
- Heat oil in pan in medium heat.
- As soon as the oil gets hot, add the Panchforan seeds in the pan.
- Once the Panchforan seeds start spluttering, add the potato pieces to it.
- Saute the potato pieces for a few minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, salt, cumin powder, coriander powder and red chili powder and mix well for at least 2 -3 minutes and cover the pan.
- The amount of chili and red chili powder depends on how much spicy you want your dish to be, since my husband and I are spice lovers, the amount of chili and red chili powder is slightly higher in my recipes.
- Lower the flame and let the potatoes cook for at least 5 -6 minutes.
- Add the chopped pieces of tomato in the pan. Mix well for 2 -3 minutes.
- Add water in the pan. The quantity of water depends on how much curry / gravy you want and cover the pan.
- After 5 - 10 minutes, see if the potatoes are tender or not. You will find out that the curry has become red in color and the oil will be seen floating on the top.
- Garnish with chopped pieces of coriander and serve hot with rice or bread.
Some more potato recipes :-
- Veggie rice quinoa baby food recipe ( khichdi recipe...
A healthy and nutritious food for toddlers. Mixed with the goodness of quinoa, kale , sweet potato and rice. Rich source of protein, iron and omega 3.
- Spicy, tasty Shrimp biryani or prawn biryani
Tasty Shrimp biryani
- Weekend special- spicy tasty mutton/ lamb curry
spicy lamb curry
- Coconut Chutney
Easy coconut chutney which is simple, quick and healthy. To be used a side dish.
- Easy,delicious and healthy Halva recipes-nutrient an...
US is a home away from home. As much as we love celebrating our Indian festivals here, we get the same pleasure when we celebrate the festivals those in US…Come October and my house gets busy gearing itself for the upcoming fests…my husband...
- Sambhar Recipe
Sambhar is a famous South Indian dish. It is known as the most spiciest lentil soup. You can add any choice of vegetables in it and because of this factor, it is considered very healthy. Serves 2 Preparation time 15 - 20 minutes Cooking time 15...
- Illish maach bengali style ( milk fish recipe)
Easy illish maach in mustard gravy
- different types of tasty and healthy rice recipes
Learn how to cook rice in different ways,easy and tasty recipes not to forget the nutritional value.